The Naked Clam

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Merry

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
You're a taskmaster, Frank. :D

Tough to imagine a naked clam. Actually, it's more of an inside-out clam, as its shells are reduced in size and lie within the thick, globular mantle. I found this unique bivalve while diving Haggerty's crane with the decapod expert, Mary Wicksten. As I was taking these images, Mary swam over and identified it as Chlamydoconcha orcutti, Orcutt naked clam.

OrcuttclamCrane800DSC_1076.jpg

OrcuttclamCrane800DSC_1071.jpg

It's a pretty efficient creeper with its strong, muscular foot. Approx. size 1 inch.

OrcuttclamCrane800DSC_1085.jpg

At first sight I thought it might be a Berthella californica.
Berthellacalifornica800DSC_0831.jpg

Nudis seem a little scarce down here lately.
Mexichromis porterae
MexichromisporteraeOML800DSC_0897.jpg

This past weekend at Marineland, I mostly shot fish.
Paintedgreenling800AvalonDSC_0845.jpg

CabezonOML800DSC_0867.jpg

Vermillionjuvenile800OMLDSC_0870.jpg

Gopherjuvenile800OMLDSC_0909.jpg

Treefishjuvenile800OMLDSC_0959.jpg

Bluerockfishjuvenile800OMLDSC_0950.jpg

Excellent find and photos! Semi-translucent white pigmented subjects are so hard to expose correctly. Superb compositions! Really like the Painted Greenling shot as well. The splashes of color on the kelp frond contrasts perfectly with the Greenling's speckled motley.

The last time I got wet was with you and Phil @ Phil's reef. With finals this week and an Arizona escapade on the close horizon it looks like I'll be staying dry for at least another couple weeks. Keep diving and keep posting! I need to dive vicariously through you two until life settles down. :D

Very misleading thread title, but cool pics.

I like the treefish shot best. They seem to hide in crevices when I am around.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom