The New Atomic TFX

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That image is exactly what I'm talking about.

In the TFX the actual regulator is that assembly in the upper left of the pic.

In the (we'll call it) T3, the actual regulator is that round-ish looking thing just above the yellow line of the exhaust valve.

The "front" of both regulators is what I would call the flat, vertical portion facing to the left side of the pic. I.e. on the T3, the front is where the purge button/face cover is. On the TFX, the front is that thick red line on the left side, next to the actual regulator assembly that is inside.

On the TFX, the yellow and green are both below (and a bit behind) the actual regulator assembly inside, and on the bottom of the 2nd stage reg as a whole unit.

Calling that slanted area where the TFX diaphragm and purge button are the "front" just doesn't make a whole lot of sense (to ME). But, I guess it's not the "back" and it is angled. So, I guess you could call it the front or the bottom.

Dadgum, I just need my reg to come so I can take it diving and stop obsessing over it!! :wink:
I think you are overthinking it - but that’s your prerogative.

I don’t worry about naming but I consider the whole case the second stage of the regulator. By that definition, the exhaust is still in the front (lower front) and definitely not in the rear as in the standard Atomic 2nd stage.

Just my way of looking at it - and they are free to call it whatever they want. One thing is for sure: it’s a very different placement of the exhaust valve vs their existing regs.

Relative to the centerline it's on the front side. Relative to the horizon it's on the bottom of the reg. The diaphragm is angled diagonally so it's both front and bottom, but everyone wants to be at the front, so that's what they picked...

The funny thing is they made sure to compare to a traditional second stage design that has a larger internal volume than the T3 second stage and I think the differences they point out would be less pronounced. How do you say your new product is better but the old one is still great? :)

How do you “dial it in“? Are there other adjustments that can be played with besides the obvious one on the first stage?
No same bells and whistles as others, but I just found it wonderful to use once I adjusted it for myself

Scubatools Small Face Spanner 16-075-500 ($25) works just fine. Pin dimples are 0.075", so this tool's pin size is perfect. Since they're both exactly the same size, if your tool is new, it might be a squeeze without a little sanding of your pins. But my old tool fits perfectly. Hitting only two out of three dimples isn't a problem for this smoothly-unscrewing component. Another shout-out for Atomic fit and finish.
View attachment 798046

Will my Scubatools Scubapro multitool fit? It has pins...

But I noticed the spring pad cover has two slots instead of a single center slot like the D400, so I am afraid they might have changed these details...

I'm generally not a fan of preset pin spanners. Their successful use depends upon keeping the tool absolutely flat when applying force. If you rock the tool even slightly (which is hard not to do when you have to exert extra force), the pin that lifts pops out of the dimple and scratches the reg. Look at virtually every old Scubapro Mk10 to see what I mean.

A Small-Pin Face Spanner, on the other hand, can be kept under control with finger pressure on the pins, while your other hand applies the torque. Plus, the pin spread is infinitely adjustable.

But to answer your question, any pin spanner with a 23.6mm center-to-center pin separation and <1.9mm pins will work. I don't know if that applies to any of the pin widths on the multitool.
...the spring pad cover has two slots instead of a single center slot like the D400...
The adjustment forces are very light, and I didn't damage my cover with a single blade screwdriver. But I'm hoping @James79 's custom tool is the solution, so he can become rich and retire.

Do you guys think there will be a cheaper BFX (brass) or SFX (steel) down the line? That's Atomic's business model, right? T2: titanium, B2: brass, ST1: steel...

Out of pure curiosity, because those who know me know how much I love titanium...
Maybe, but there's really nothing new that's worthwhile in the first stage, and only a portion of the second stage is Titanium. To my mind, Atomic is just taking advantage of the small number of people willing to pay $2600 for a regulator that is a just little better than one that uses the same technology and was available over 20 years ago. I'm not saying that the TFX is not a better regulator than the d300, but to offer a regulator whose main development costs, both first and second stages, were recouped decades ago at such a price is outrageous.

I'm sure Atomic has some plan to make the TFX available to regular people once the golden ( titanium nitride? ) cow runs dry.

Will my Scubatools Scubapro multitool fit? It has pins...

But I noticed the spring pad cover has two slots instead of a single center slot like the D400, so I am afraid they might have changed these details...

The adjustment forces are very light, and I didn't damage my cover with a single blade screwdriver. But I'm hoping @James79 's custom tool is the solution, so he can become rich and retire.
I'm waiting on some stainless rod to come in (tomorrow) to finish the 3 pin spanner, and the spring adjuster tool is made (in 2 versions)... with that in mind, they should be going in the mail to Rsingler Tuesday for beta testing.

Maybe, but there's really nothing new that's worthwhile in the first stage, and only a portion of the second stage is Titanium. To my mind, Atomic is just taking advantage of the small number of people willing to pay $2600 for a regulator that is a just little better than one that uses the same technology and was available over 20 years ago. I'm not saying that the TFX is not a better regulator than the d300, but to offer a regulator whose main development costs, both first and second stages, were recouped decades ago at such a price is outrageous.

I'm sure Atomic has some plan to make the TFX available to regular people once the golden ( titanium nitride? ) cow runs dry.
At least there is some improvement of design here. T25 had no improvement and was retailing for that much.

I love Atomic, but I wonder if the coated/anodized T25 is for collectors that box them up and resell later because they are "rare"... Solid titanium looks awesome 20 years later wearing its scratches with pride. Scratches in coatings become ugly IMHO.

Regarding selling 20 years old technology, I thought that's what we want, right? I think the D400 was still made when the T1 came out and you can get parts to rebuild a T1, but not for a D400. And 20 years is way too young for a lot of people on the forum that hate the modern stuff from the 1990s and after! :)

So it's just different business models (not that I know business/marketing): Keep the same model in different guises for 20+ years, or bring out a new model and discontinue the old ones, even if they are great (G250V, MK17, D400). I love the continuity of design.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom