The Newest Plastic Pollution Problem: Flip Flops

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sea Save Foundation

Contributor
Reaction score
Three billion people a year purchase new flip flops, with an average lifespan of two years. What happens to all those discarded flip flops? They end up in garbage dumps and in waterways that lead to the ocean. Approximately ninety tons of flip flops end up on East Africa beaches due to currents from places such as Asia, India and China. Scroll to number 4 to read more

upload_2017-4-19_20-54-57.png

I go barefoot or wear my most beaten up hiking boots to the beach ... holes and all.

Thats correct. When we are doing beach and reef clean ups we always find a lot of flip flops. What can we do about it? that is a hard question. We living in a consumption economy. This means we have to continue to consume to keep the economy running. Thats why things will break, will get broken etc. Other good examples are TVs, Computers, Mobiles, tablets. What will happen with them. What will happen with all the batteries. The world have to change their mind setting. And we have to get rid of the consumption economy.

The Beach of Lost Soles, Caiman Brac

8mnmuHaqHSMn9na6PdWppyOp4hhzmMS-WwtqeVYMjlxK_d64Fais47r28xisTC-7C8mml_POSmrWYkyqRI=w1225-h919-no.jpg

These weren't a tenth of the flips, Crocs and shoes that washed up on this end of the island.

lets use hemp products...

Hemp isn't the holy grail either. It's the constant single use and waste of consummables. I hate to put things in a picture of doom and gloom, however that is the reality and our species is never going to change.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom