The Next Big Thing...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think Oceanic has a heads-up display mask/computer that is almost on the market. It is a spinoff from one they have been making for the military.

How about a scooter/tank combo? Strap it on and zoom through the water hands-free!

Bill51:
So you want a FADEC that controls your mixture and a synthetic vision glass cockpit HUD driven by an inertial navigation system and forward-looking rotary scan sonar with dive data recorder storage. That’s a far improvement over my first dive in TR without a BC on a single stage 2 hose.

Very nice. But, i think , that piece of equipment was already developed and operated by US Navy. Forward deployment rig.

Heated wet suits. In fact I saw an ad for them recently. Suit is 3-5 mm neoprene and the heating packs are set in pockets under the arms, near the belly and on the back. Push in the button anytime during the dive for 40-60 minutes worth of heat. Boil the removable packets after the dive to restore the chemical to a liquid state so that they can be re-used again and again.

As soon as you invent an idiot proof item, God invents a better idiot.

Hay! That should be my new signature.

Carl

GDCB:
As soon as you invent an idiot proof item, God invents a better idiot.

Hay! That should be my new signature.

Carl

Hehe great line :D

Some good ideas here but a real problem would be making them feasible in terms of cost-efficiency. Rebreathers may well become common over tanks but not until they come down from the fortune they cost already. HUDs in masks can probably already be done but again for a crazy price, which would probably buy you a normal mask, SPG and a trip to the Carribbean. As soon as some of these become mass-produced and the cost comes down they can become recreational!

Penguinboy:
If you could combine the camera into the mask too that would be fantastic! Mount the strobes on your ears or some such and just push a little button to take a photo of whatever you are looking at! It would be similar to having a camera mounted on the side of your helmet as some already do. This would free up your hands for anything else too.

I have binoculars with internal display for direction and distance. Some have a camera bulit in. A digital camera mask would be cool. Settings displayed on the lens would be cool. Add a zoom lens... Strobes could mount or be handheld.

Carl

Bill51:
An idiot proof rebreather will also be a huge hit.

"Idiot proof" and "diving" just don't go together.

:)

HUD, heads up display. That is not what I am talking about. What I think will eventually come about is a mask which has an LCD screen istead of a pane of glass. The sonar emitters will either be on each side or remote mounted or even one of them might be on a goodman handle. The screen will have corrective diopters to allow clear vision. The sonar image will be much like the side scan image on my boat's sonar screen. It will present a picture, an image (proabably not color at first) that would present the underwater world virtually on the screen. Turning the unit off would result in "blindness" as the screen would be opaque just as the flat panel TV I am watching now. Squeezing the trigger on the goodman handle would inset in the main screen an image from that unit. Just as know you scan an area with your light. There could even be a zoom control from 1X to 3X etc. It would use a HUD to display depth, time, tank pressure, battery status, regulator "system" status etc. N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom