The Pasley Aug 06 Dive Report Thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey Scott,
What was the surf & surge I'm planning on going there Sun.

Happy Diving
John

After two previous attempts I was finally able to see the wreck of the Star of Scotland this morning. It lies in 75 feet off the coast of Santa Monica. The visibility was only about ten feet, but it was enjoyable nonetheless. Scott and Margaret Webb, owners of the Popeye Maru and photographers extraordinaire invited Merry and me to join them today for a run up the coast. Before leaving the dock, we were treated to several stingrays settling in for a nap.
Roundstingrays.jpg

When we got to the bottom we found the anchor had landed in a perfect spot. I found a Facelina stearnsi nudibranch and asked Merry to keep an eye on it while I set up my camera. I had only seen a few of them before today. By the time the dive was done, I had seen dozens! We didn't see the resident Black Sea Bass family despite looking in every hole. It was nice being able to look in the holes again thanks to my buddies Ross and Jeff. They did all the work repairing my HID light. It was like having an amputated limb returned.
The wreck is coverd in Corynactis anemones and nudibranchs. There is a lot of relief to the structure. I'll have to go back when we have clear water to take some wide angle pictures. Until then, here are a few of the images from today.
Triophacatalinae.jpg

Berthellacalifornica.jpg

metridium2.jpg

Facelinastearnsi2.jpg

Facelinastearnsi.jpg

Spanishshawl.jpg

Spanishshawl2.jpg

La Jolla Shores / Secret Gardens, Saturday August 12th AM

Info:
Warm, overcast morning with a 2 knot breeze from the N/W
Swell height 1'-2'
-0.1 low tide at 0600 hrs, rising on a 1.8 knot flood
Sea surface temperature was 68 degrees
Temperature at max depth was 55 degrees
Visibility at depths less than 30' was 20'+
Visibility at max depth was 15'
Sea surface was calm with 1'-2', waves and a narrow surf zone
Max depth 111'
Total bottom time 49 minutes

The Report:

I met up at the un-diety hour of 6:00AM for a dive with Jen, Kim and Steve. Marianne was also with us, but she didn't want her name mentioned in the report so I will make no mention of Marianne as being one of our group. At that awful hour, it's not difficult to assume we scored prime parking spots in the front row by the lifeguard tower. There were other psychopaths out that early, but they and their invisible friends didn't appear to be diving this morning.

The sky was just starting to lighten as we geared up, and although we couldn't prove it visually due to the cloud cover, the sun was up in all it's glory by the time we crossed the boardwalk. The sand had just been raked by a multitude of tractors, so we were the first to put footprints into it as we trudged over the large expanse of beach that was a gift of the low tide. It was a very easy entry and a leisurely kick out. We headed out straight from the lifeguard tower, passed the orange buoy, and dropped down when the depth indicator said 30'. With the tide, the buoy was only in 15'.

We were able to see the bottom approaching within a few feet of dropping below the surface. We headed due west towards the draw, dropping to 105' before heading south to the Gardens. There were a few Sea Hares and assorted Pens and Pansies and such on the way down, but it wasn't until we actually hit the Gardens that life became more prolific. The Gorgonians were abundant and in a rainbow of colors. We saw a couple of Fringheads doing their sarcastic best to be nonchalant, but when you look like they do, it's a difficult task at best.

leaving the Gardens to it's tenders, we continued south and slightly up slope. We saw a few smallish Octopus snoozing in holes, a couple of tiny Spanish Shawls, several California Sea Slugs and a matched pair of Blue Banded Gobies. As our computers started tapping us on the shoulders, quietly whispering "Danger Will Robinson..Danger", we heeded their gentle suggestions and headed up slope in a more definitive manner. We came across a couple of Bubble Snails laying eggs and an occasional scattering of Diaulula Nobilis along the wall, before reaching the summit and heading N/E towards shore.

Although the canyon walls were cratered with Bat Ray holes, I didn't see any, although a couple of our team who were going slower as they took pictures reported a couple of close encounters. There were a few Sand Dabs, a Turbot, a few Sand Bass, a lone Sheephead and a small Halibut on the way in, along with a very frustrated Decorator Crab. We also saw a few Swimming Crabs with the claws in fighting position trying to entice us into battle, which we declined. A lone Lobster meandering below schools of bait fish entertained us as we got shallow.

The shallows actually looked blue from 20' and shallower, which, when combined with the great visibility made for a beautiful swim in. You could see fish swimming in the distance, the ripples in the sand stood out, illuminated by the now present sun, and you could see the surface glistening 20' above. We were mesmerized as we got shallower and shallower, before discovering we were in a sea of dangling legs hanging over the sides of a flotilla of surfboards above. They were only in 4'-6' of water, so there wasn't a lot of room to spare. We thought we were way north, but on surfacing, discovered the surfers had invaded the area in front of the lifeguard tower. We were able to avoid the temptation to pull a few toes, before standing up in the shallow water to make our exit.

It was a wonderful dive, with several new dive buddies. Conditions and visibility were great, and a good time was had by all of our team. I had to forgo the second dive due to other commitments, but the others headed back in in short order to revisit the fun.

John A.

ICY ICE:
Veterans Park
40min
34min

Did a few dive today: tested my ikelite to 100ft...

That's me and Mike (Zaffy) there in the predive pic.

One of my only daytime Vet's dives. Looks and feels so different.

Date: August 13, 2006
Dive Location: Marineland
Buddy(ies): Merry, Penny, Scottfiji
Time: 10:03
Bottom Time: 1:12
Max Depth: 54'
Vis: 20-25'
Wave height: 0-1'
Temp at depth: 54F
Surface Temp: Not much warmer. The thermocline was shallow.
Comments: After a fairly easy entry at the Point, we dropped into shallow water to look for Hopkin's Rose nudis and anything else that was around. I didn't find one until the last half of the dive, but the dive itself was filled with so many sightings. Scott and Penny found a hole with a Cuthona divae nudi and a Cabezon in it. I looked around the hole and found another Cuthona divae and a Blue Ring-top snail. They had already swam away to find more critters before I could call them back, but Scott had just seen hundreds of ring-top snails at La Bufadora.
We spotted several tiny Coralline sculpins, various nudis, schools of Rock Wrasse, Jack mackeral, Blacksmith, Senoritas, lots of Cabezons and Rockfish plus two male Sheepheads. Among the nudibranchs spotted were two Mexichromis porterae, dozens of Monterey dorids and Sea Lemons, Facelina stearnsi, Acanthodoris lutea and Cadlina luteomarginata. I was getting cold so Merry and I cut across the sand and found our old friend, Mr. Mantis shrimp. She calls him Johnny Mantis for short. We'll have to go back with a cod fillet for him next time.
When we reached the parking lot, my truck had mysteriously vanished. I looked around and saw it behind the fence, filled with tumbleweeds and debris. Divebum Don, Shanon and Evil Jeff had guilty looks on their faces. They were lucky I didn't dive with an AK-47. :)
DSCF0078.jpg

Rainbow nudibranch eggs

DSCF0082.jpg

Baby Sunflower Star

DSCF0055.jpg

Coralline Sculpin

DSCF0063.jpg

Black Rockfish

DSCF0080.jpg

Black Eyed Goby

DSCF0012.jpg

Cuthona divae

DSCF0033.jpg

Mexichromis porterae

DSCF0038.jpg

Spanish Shawl

DSCF0051.jpg

Yellow dorid

DSCF0074.jpg

Monterey dorid

DSCF0075.jpg

Stearn's aeolid

DSCF0068.jpg

Hopkin's Rose

DSCF0066.jpg

Hopkin's Rose with eggs and red hydroids for dinner.

DSCF0069.jpg

Red hydroids

Date: 8/13/2006
Dive Location: Shaw's Cove, Laguna Beach
Buddy(ies): D_B
Time: 9:36 AM
Bottom Time: 67 MIN
Max Depth: 47 FSW
Vis: 10-15+ FT
Wave height: 1-2 FT
Temp at depth: 58 F
Surface Temp: 70 F
Tide information: Pushing; High Tide 12:53 PM PDT , +5.45 feet
Gas mix: 21%

Comments: Finally talked birthday boy D_B into heading north and joining me for a couple dives in Laguna. Conditions this morning were overcast with a light NW breeze. Some small scale long period ground swell energy was starting to fill in with the tide push. We arrived kind of late. Consequently finding parking was a bit of a challenge. Somehow, we lucked out and managed to nab a spot at the top of Wave St. We did a quick site check and pre-dive briefing ... then suited up and headed down to the water. I ran into Seth, Brandon's OW dive buddy, who was working on some dives for his AOW.

We made an easy entrance and finned out to ~20 FSW, where we dropped over the sand. Temps were pretty toasty in the shallows and vis was a decent. We picked up the reef line and starting heading out toward deeper water. We continued through the big pass in the reef to backside; were water temps dipped to ~58 F and vis reduced due to particulate matter in the water. We eventually made the turn and back tracked our way to Shaw's Cove. We followed the reef line back in before finally breaking off into the toasty warm sandy shallows were vis was also very good.

Some notable critter sightings included a couple of mating Sheep Crabs, a friendly little California Moray near big pass in the reef, what appeared to be a juvenile Giant Black Sea Bass holed up deep in a little cave (this is the one Josh and I keep seeing) that he shared with a good sized Scorpionfish, and a humongous Pacific Halibut that stood out like a big lump in the sand.

Upon surfacing, the surf had picked up slightly with he incoming tide. There were a couple 2 FT sets pounding the cove. The exit was uneventful.

Date: 8/13/2006
Dive Location: Diver’s Cove/Fisherman’s Cove, Laguna Beach
Buddy(ies): D_B
Time: 12:19 PM
Bottom Time: 92 MIN
Max Depth: 37 FSW
Vis: 15-20+ FT
Wave height: 1-2 FT
Temp at depth: 61 F
Surface Temp: 72 F
Tide information: Pushing; High Tide 12:53 PM PDT , +5.45 feet
Gas mix: 21%

Comments: We walked over to Laguna Sea Sport to fill up for the 2nd dive. We chatted briefly with Gordon who confirmed that there are a couple juvenile Giant Black Sea Bass in Shaw's. He mentioned that they tend to hide in some deep holes. I'm pretty sure this is what we saw on the first dive. After our fills, we decided to head back to Diver's Cove ... hoping that a parking spot freed up. Somehow the Parking Gods smiled upon us again. We scored a non-metered spot :D

It was shaping up into a gorgeous So Cal day. Skies were clear and sunny. We made an easy entrance and Diver's Cove. As I was putting on my fins, the on-duty Laguna Beach lifeguard came the water's edge and asked me if I had a snorkel. I responded that it was in my pocket and asked if he needed to see it. He replied, "No". We finned out, hoping to find the big group of Bat Rays again ... no luck. We dropped in ~11 FSW, were temps were a toasty 68F and vis was good, despite a pronounced 2-3FT of surge.

We headed W to pick up the outbound ledge. I somehow missed it and ended up on top of the reef. We continued S toward deeper water and eventually hit the end. We turned W and starting working our way toward Fisherman's Cove. Again, temps were s a little colder and vis was lower on the backside of the reef. We eventually turned N into Fisherman's and followed the ledge. We both had plenty of air left as we neared shallower water. We decided to break off onto the sand a head over to shallow reef on the W other side of the Cove. We eventually hit it and spent about 15 MINS working the cracks in toasty 65F temps. We finished the dive with a nice relaxes swim across the sand .. right up to the beach.

Again, we saw lots of cool marine life - lots of California Sea Hares (including several very large mating chains), tons of Lobster (D_B, if you talk you're dead ! ;-), A little Bat Ray, a bunch of feisty nesting Garibaldi, a Noble Dorid Nudibranch, a big school of Sargos, and some large Black Croakers & Calico Bass.

It was a nice long relaxed dive. Afterwards, I treated the birthday boy to brunch at the Madison Square Garden Cafe. As fate would have it, the Parking Gods blessed us with a free parking spot right. It was a fitting way to cap off an awesome day of diving.

phil, nice diving with you guys and nice find on the baby sunflower star. I'm not sure I've seen any adult sunflower stars at OML. (I see them regularly at point dume). great nudi photos, here's some photos I took today:

OML1+012.jpg

Cabezon

OML1+025.jpg

Painted Greenling

OML1+028.jpg

Island Kelpfish

OML1+056.jpg

"Happy Sculpin". This photo is called happy sculpin, not because of the snubnose sculpin in the foreground, but because of the 2nd sculpin behind him (look above his shoulder).

OML1+084.jpg

Sculpin resting on a lemon dorid, tired from Yoga class. Maybe a smoothhead or padded sculpin (probably an Artesius species).

OML1+097.jpg

Atagema alba Nudibranch, my first sighting in so-cal (not counting La Bufadora). They are hard to spot and easily go un-noticed. (Penny spotted it).

Date: August 11 & 12 (Friday, Sat)
Dive Location: Avalon
Buddy(ies): 'Chica
Time: two glorious days... who's keeping track of time?!
Bottom Time: HOURS!!!!!!
Max Depth: 99
Vis: unreal. From 60+ to maybe 40-ish... just outstanding
Wave height: Uh, stair entry...
Temp at depth: 55 - 70... wacky thermo's this weekend
Surface Temp: Whatever, SoCal Summer....
Tide information: GIGANTIC SWINGS. Huge amounts of water
Gas mix: Goodyear. Bridgestone. Yokohama.
Comments: WOW!

So HBdoublesmama and I played hooky (well, I did... she always has Friday off) and went to Avalon for two days of focused practice with the doubles. We took over a pair of 72's and a pair of 85's. I decided at the last minute, due to the huge tide swings that taking the 112 Saturn V's over the rocks would be no fun.

So we get to Avalon on Friday AM, grab a spot and hit the water. We have 4 dives in doubles already in the last two weeks (3 at Vets and one 2+ hour pool session... I'm only counting the pool session cuz it was a long session... :wink: ) Our objective was to get in at least 6 dives, working specifically on the buoyancy nuances that doubles demand, propulsion, planning and the associated drills (specifically valve drills and OOA drills.)

We were a couple of drillin', chillin', thrillin', Magilla Gorillin' machines. Mashing through some stuff, executing some stuff with comparative precision, and just dialing in some other skills with actual precision. :eyebrow:

Doing 2 dives a week in these things is nothing like doing 3 a day. You learn so much more as you can get right back in and work through it again and again. It also didn't suck that the park was empty on Friday, and it was one of the most glorious days I've ever had in the park - and I've done hundreds of dives there. Just amazing viz.

On day 2, all of our hard work was rewarded with a very special treat. I stumbled on a Hypselodoris californiensis. This special nudi is something I've been hoping to see for many, many years. Here is the story that inspired me.

Of course, I was without camera when we found the guy. Claudette looked at me and said "dive over, we're going to go get the camera..." It was like NASCAR - we chuffed it back to the entry point, ran out, dumped the doubles, I assembled the camera, we ran back into the water and chuffed it back to the site. HE WAS STILL THERE. So I got a bunch of shots, and the housing leaked.

I called the dive, and we chuffed it back. During the fill we got lunch and I let the housing dry out. Two hours later, we re-enter, and we go back to the site... NO NUDI. We're looking and looking, and HBEagleEye finds him! I get another 50 shots off and the housing floods again - this time taking out the electronics... so no strobes. DAMMIT! This thing is off to Ike on Monday.

We get out, and I download the pics. There are some very clear shots of this fat, stout, juicy and very animated Nudi - a lot of clear shots: full body, top, side, in-yo-grill, close ups of the gill ring (amazing) and tons of detal. What an amazing animal. These dumbed-down GIF's do this noble animal no justice. The full size originals are stunning...

Just a great couple of days. I learned so much, and we got to see something I've never seen before!

Here are a couple of shots. Enjoy.

---
Ken

65123687.dwbEbE6R.jpg

65129031.mSJaxIi7.jpg

65129993.FT48gVqh.jpg

65127583.RGWaUgDI.jpg

65131002.OfowH01u.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom