The Pasley "Hurry Home" January '07 Dive Report Thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dove with Shanon, we had an easy entry, dropped immediately and headed West into the canyon. On the way down we saw a few squids and some baskets. We stopped to take a picture of one and SWOOP an friggin sea lion snags him before I took my shot. We continued down to 90ft and turned North after bout 15 minutes of exploring and taking pictures of squid we went up to higher ground. We saw less than 50 squid, flatfish, swimming crabs and a half dozen egg baskets.

We exited South of the stairs and while in the surf zone we got hit with 5 huge waves (at least 5'). I was yelling "duck" after each wave....at 3-4 seconds apart. Good thing that they didn't have lots of energy, we were able to safely walk out without getting maytagged. I originally planned to do 2 dives that night, but with surf conditions picking up and no "run"..I decided to sit the next dive out.

Pictures

Date: Jan 4th, 2007
Dive Location: Vets Park
Buddy(ies): HBI'llDiveAnythingGurl
Time: 6:40-ish PM
Bottom Time: 72 minutes
Max Depth: 90-something
Vis: 20 feet when it was good, 5 feet after the surge hit (second half of the dive)
Wave height: Going in: 1' to 2'. Coming out: 4' - 6'.
Temp at depth: 57 degrees
Surface Temp: Whatever. Cold, wind, rain... drysuits rule!
Tide information: Low 4:16 PM - rising to High Tide at 10:55 (we got out at about 8:20-ish)
Gas mix: Yokohama
Top reason Pasley should hurry home: eTicket rides at Vets can be kind of exhilarating!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Holy Moly, what a dive!

Tonight marked my 750th dive. We meet up at Vets just after 6:00. Its raining, its misty, there’s supposed to be a storm on the way in. Whatever – it’s the night after a full moon, and we’re looking for some squid.

We gear up in record time, I grab my cam and we head down the stairs. We get to the water’s edge and its not too bad – maybe a foot or two. Certainly nothing HBSquidGurl and I couldn’t plow through. We find a good spot, want for a lull and dash in.

I’m on my back up mask, and its fogging like a beast. So I trade with ‘Chica and hers doesn’t fit as well, but at least its clear. We square away and we drop.

The water is pretty clear – much cleaner than I expected. I’m pretty excited – except for the water torture on my grill…. Drip. Drip. Drip. ()&*%#&^%$^%$ I’m looking down trying to find some of the Dendronotus (as its pretty clear, even though the surge is pretty rough) and every time I look down I’m looking through a puddle. So I maneuver so I can look UP the canyon wall along the detritus line… much better. I snap some shots of some Fakeyssendas, a couple of Fed Ex and one really bad Dendy pic.

We decide to head down the canyon and look for some squid. I wanted to try shooting one more time at night with my 105mm Macro. Big mistake. I need to bring my 60mm on these night dives – the 105 is just too tough to use when the light is really low and the surge is really high. Memo to self: if its dark, leave the 105 at home. PLUS, I really couldn’t pick a worse lens for trying to short squid and the associated foofoorah that go with them (bat rays, egg baskets, dashing sea lions, etc.)

Speaking of Sea Lions, we were buzzed several times by one or more. We could hear them barking the whole time we were below 80 feet (I think we got to 90-something) and we startled one. In fact, I think he went up for a breath and came back for revenge.

Shortly after we freaked him out, as I was shooting a squid, I felt Claudette kick me several times in the side, then in the left butt cheek. I thought, “this isn’t like her.. .what’s going on…” I look over and she’s panting and writing a note in her Wetnotes. With a quaking hand she said we just got buzzed by papa Sea Lion, and he wasn’t happy! Apparently, the Sea Lion came through at about 90 MPH and split us – I mean zoomed right between us! If you’ve ever seen us dive, you know there isn’t enough room between us for a few hundred pounds of fur and gristle. So if I felt him blast along my side, I can only imagine how close he came to ‘dette before she lunged out of the way of this freight train. I was completely oblivious, composing a shot when he blasted by.

So there weren't too many squid Thursday night. And most of the ones we saw were in bad shape. We saw a bat ray and some sea lions, and lots of evidence of stuff down there with is, you know? Silt clouds, but no animals. Swirling water, but we're alone. It was creepy. We were diving with a lot of critters (bigger critters - rays, lions and stuff) but most of them stayed out of site... you just knew they were there.

We head back up the canyon and I fire off some more lame shots. The problem is the Squid are attracted to the front of the flat port. They probably see another squid and come in for a closer look, and keep coming until they actually run into the port. This happened with almost every squid. I posted one pic below of a guy that literally bounced off the lens port of the camera. Its hard enough to lock focus, but when I’m back-kicking as fast as I can trying to keep these slimers in frame, it makes it tough to get decent shots.

At the trash line I take a few more shots, and we make a slow ascent. The surge is really tossing us around. We’re at about 72 minutes now. We pop to the surface, and I hear Claudette say “whoa… Victory At Sea.” The ocean is as choppy as I’ve ever seen it on a dive. I was about 5 feet from her and I could only see her about ever 10 seconds or so. It was bad, and I’m thinking how are we gonna get in without getting rolled or losing the camera.

We get close enough to touch and we’re diving under waves that are now way over our heads. We have the fin-removal-hand-off-the-camera thing pretty wired, so we exit without any serious injury or camera damage. WOW. We’re sitting on the wall, puffing and looking at a sea of whitecaps that extends from the sand out to the horizon.

We catch our breath and hit the shower – congratulating ourselves on our good fortune, when all of a sudden the real wind starts. Its howling. All of the trash cans on the beach are blown over and start rolling towards us (that was very twilight zone.) We’re climbing up the stairs, wind aided, and its just getting worse. We’re yelling to each other to be heard.

I get to my truck and open it, and immediately the wind sweeps away my changing matt and blasts it across the parking lot. I’m out of my gear and running after it, but I can’t catch it. It wraps around the last parking meter pole in the lot, thankfully, or else it’d be a traffic hazard on PCH!

We’re freezing. No rain, just huge wind. We’re totally getting sand blasted. We dive into our cars and slam the doors without saying a word….and get on our cell phones – just laughing!

What a lesson. The Ocean can turn on you so fast. If it looked like this when we went in, we would have blow this off and gone to dinner! No way we could get in through this wind. I knew it was going to get uglier, but I had no idea in 72 minutes it would get unsafe to dive. We’re both very thankful we got in a nice dive and got out safely.

Thanks ‘dette! There is nobody else in SoCal I feel more confident with in big surf than you. You’re the reason I do these crazy dives. What a team!!

Some fuzzy pics below.

---
Ken

Tiny Lil Octo. Maybe 1.5" across. He was half buried in the sand. Little cutie! Full size here.
72645846.htTKazmU.jpg

I could not shake this guy. So I finally took his picture.
72635364.3j67bCnr.jpg

GoodYear Blimp View! Look at the Oral Tentacals on this Fed Ex. They white tipped, like bull horns. I've shot thosands of Fed Ex pix, and I went back though a few dozen - I don't have any with white tips like this. Very strange. Very cool. Fuzzy full size original here.
72650100.FM9noi6z.jpg

A classic Fakey. Its been months since I've seen one on the sand. They're all ON something. They must GET to that something somehow... I can't belive we'll dive and see 20 of these, and not a one on the sand.
72651916.tLMQLfQJ.jpg

Squiddly making a break for it. This guy also bounced off my lens port.
72651075.5HKFBaQq.jpg

This tiny (1/2") Dendy was hanging out in about 30 feet of water. This is right at the end of the dive, with the surge raging. The surge hit us, and he sort of splayed open, but I also got shoved so the pic is a little fuzzy. But I like the fact you can see all of him.
72649472.0xknPSzQ.jpg

Remember - if you get the Red X of death, just right click and select "Show Picture." If it still doesn't fill in, hit f5 and re-load the page. The gallery is here.

Top Reason Pasley should hurry home: Just like last month, the dive goddesses are running out of men

Hi Kim,
You'll just have to come up to LA area there's plenty of men up here. LOL !!!!!

Happy Diving
John

Mo2vation:
The water is pretty clear – much cleaner than I expected.
I'm amazed, especially after Wednesday night's conditions added to the wind Thursday. Claudette must have been so encouraged by the smaller surf that she forced you to take your camera in. :)
I took a dozen frondusus shots in the heavy surge Wednesday and only two were OK enough to not make me seasick looking at them.

MaxBottomtime:
I'm amazed, especially after Wednesday night's conditions added to the wind Thursday. Claudette must have been so encouraged by the smaller surf that she forced you to take your camera in. :)
I took a dozen frondusus shots in the heavy surge Wednesday and only two were OK enough to not make me seasick looking at them.

I came up with 82 images last night on our 72 minute dive. I probably dumped half a dozen or more under water. Over dinner I probably tossed another 10. I got home, looked at the remainders, became very depressed and processed maybe 10. I posted these 6. And half of these would never make the light of day if I had anything else worth posting from the other night.

It was a rough and very demoralizing shooting.

Your shot-to-keeper ratio is much better than mine!

:) :) :)

---
Ken

Mo2vation:
Your shot-to-keeper ratio is much better than mine!

:) :) :)

---
Ken
Sometimes. Last week I shot 144 and posted two. :(

Hey both you guys shoot great pictures, I really enjoy looking at your pictures because there are so much clearer than what I see when I'm down there. I can actually see the detail of what I've seen there. Thanks guys & Scottfifi & everyone else who takes photos & posts them for all to see.

Happy Shoting
John

JMdiver:
...I really enjoy looking at your pictures because there are so much clearer than what I see when I'm down there. I can actually see the detail of what I've seen there. ...John
:rofl3: Yeah, I'm right there with ya, John. :eyemouth:

Ordering prescription lenses :seen: for my dive masks this week!

"Spot" needs glasses...:1book: Whaddaya gonna do? :crafty:

~0-0~
hbPNS'Chica
(ProfessionalNudiSpotter)

Date: January 6, 2007, Saturday morning
Dive Location: Veteran's Park, Redondo Submarine Canyon Braille dive
Buddy: KenShootInAsnowStorm-JustWatchMe Mo2vation. Tevis on shore.
Time: 10ish AM
Bottom Time: One hour
Max Depth: 114 fsw
Vis: 2-5 feet
Wave height: 2 to 4 feet, but no punch to them
Temp at depth: 53F. I was wearing my Carol Davis undergarment beneath the usual BARE T-100 layer, and was perfectly comfortable until our final stop. Ken had bravely left his Carols in the car, and just sucked-it-up to last an hour in water that was 6 degrees colder than two days ago. Hello, Winter! I love my Carols!
Surface Temp: Dunno, blew through it in a drysuit.
Tide information: High tide right after we entered
Top reason Pasley should hurry home: With all this sand in the water, you'll hardly miss the desert!

Thursday/Friday's Windstorm had subsided!
Swell was noticeable but not monsterous!
We just HAD to go diving!

Mo2vation, Archangel and I met at Old Marineland at 0830 to check conditions for a photo safari.
The Point was out of the question due to thumping swell.
Bowling Ball Beach looked reasonable, with some strong surge... until.... a rogue 4-foot wave curled dramatically into the cove, with a face I could have body-boarded across, and heaps of white foam crashing onto the rocks.

Uh... LemmieThinKAboutIt... No.
Too nice a day to get Oh-Em-Mauled for questionable post-storm visibility.

Time for Plan B: Vets.

Gear challenges sidelined Archangel into the most cheerful shore-support team in existence, as Ken and I motored out through 3-4 foot gentle waves. Noise but no power. We made final plans and eye-contact at the surface, then descended about 6-feet from each other, as usual.
Except this time... Ken disappeared. Ken and his 21W HID.... disappeared.
Oh yeah... sometimes the viz sucks at Vets.

We tightened up the team, sorted out camera and hoses, and headed for the canyon in an ocean filled with hard fog. Viz was 2 to 5 feet, but surely it would get better.

At 55fsw, Ken gave the universally recognized, "WhatThe'Eff?" hand-signal regarding the still horrid viz.
We could just make out the bottom, with many nudibranch egg masses (Hermissenda, FedEx, Polycera atra, Dendy frondosus)

We continued down to our planned depth.... because surely it would get better down deeper.

Uh... yeah.... at 80fsw we could see about 5 feet. That's as good as it got.

But we started to find not only Dendy egg masses, but also more D. frondosus nudibranchs. Ken began the infernal dance with the black-talcum mud in the deep canyon, angling to illuminate his subjects while stabilizing the camera. We rolled on downward, adjusting our dive plan as the bigger juicy Dendronotus nudibranchs and sarcastic fringeheads made it fun. One strand of eel grass had 2 nudibranchs, a Polycera atra and a Triopha maculata. The vis sucked. Compass headings at Vets? Today, it was mandatory!

As we turned and headed upward, we laughed to discover we each had exactly 1600 psi in the hpWaterHeaters. Nudibranch eggs came into view again as we kept our grilles to the mud. Some algae strands hosted three different species of eggs. Ken found many, many Dendy's, and I realized that the perfect time to have had my prescription lenses added to my mask would have been last week. (Denial is over. Rx lenses this week.)
I was thinking that at least presbyopia came with wisdom, too... but then I realized I was concluding a one hour dive in 2 - 5-foot viz and 53F water with surf.:shakehead

Ok... at least it came with continuing enthusiasm, and the wisdom to choose a strong, capable and fun buddy/photographer.

It was a lousy dive.

I had a great time and learned a lot about coordinating a team in bad vis, while practicing good dive planning and gas management. We saw cool nudibranchs.

We nearly lost sight of each other during a slow ascent from 17fsw, as the viz went to less than 1 foot. Holy crud.

We surfaced (both with 800psi in the cans) to sunshine and some significant surf, .
Tevis was The Man, smoothing our exit hauling the big camera rig.
Any surf exit I can walk (or crawl) away from is a good one!

Ken and Tevis: Thanks for all the enthusiasm!!! You two made it fun!

Claudette

Date: 1-7-07
Bud: Tina, Shanon, LeeAnne
Max depth: 32 fsw
Drama Free: 50 minutes
Surf: 1-2 ft
Viz: 15-20+

As Shana said...great dive. Thanks everyone for showing up!

BITE ME:
ICE, LeeAnne, Tina and I met up at Starbucks to go diving at Broad Beach. It was very windy, but thankfully no surf unlike what the swell charts showed.

we geared up and headed into the water. LeeAnne was doing her 50th dive so we took some pictures. we decided to head into the reef in search of lobsters. LeeAnne found a scallop and bent my knife trying to get it out. we swam around with no lobsters in sight. we decided to head back in with 1800psi. we found another part of the reef with lobsters!! 15 of them!!! but they were all shorts. we had about 600psi after chasing all of the lobsters... we continued to head in and i found a scallop. this time i got it open and we enjoyed a nice lunch underwater. we surfaced to find that we were about 1/4 mile off shore... the current didn't seem that strong underwater!!! we surface swam back with a current and wind chop. ICE was on shore so we gave him the OK. it took us a good 20 minutes to swim in. it was relaxing, but exhausting. We decided to just stick with 1 dive for the day.

Pictures:
http://www.valleyscuba.com/forum/showpost.php?p=3308&postcount=3

Back
Top Bottom