The Reeler- any opinions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I know the reel isn't cheap. The value becomes obvious when your going out on charters and to much of your dive time is dedicated to your reel. When you factor in the cost of charters and all the associated expenses it is a reasonable price to pay to free you from the hassles of a standard reel.

As the Op titled this thread: "The Reeler- any opinions"

My opinion does not agree with yours. I know that we have to pay for convenience. It is that way with everything. I just do not think the cost is worth the convenience in this instance. I don't have issues with reels that would prompt me to waste my money needlessly, but I can certainly see where it might be a very viable option for others.

No problem. I respect your comments. It is not for everyone, for me diving with a reel was a pain I watched my reel constantly to make sure the line didn't build up on one side or the other and it didn't jam. Also I had to keep constant tension on the line. Now I'm free to look around and pay little to no attention to my reel. Happy diving.

We love the product and promote it for all the reasons SDE Dennis mentions. Our divers love it, and the optional light attachment is the cat's meow for line reeling on night dives!

I use mine regularly [as a primary] w/the lite attachment [cave/deco] and am very satisfied w/it's performance...Yes it is more expensive but a lot less hassle to use than my other reel [a large primary, sold under different names and whose handle makes no sense ergonomically when holding a light :shakehead:!!]...My only complaint/suggestion is that it could be better designed so as to be more compact...The lite attachment could be placed on the side/the handle lowered[and still have clearance for large gloves] and the top of the handle be concaved to accommodate a secondary lite better if divers prefer that over the lite attachment....But the line leveler/tensioner and anti-backlash features make reel use hassle free.....Nice product Spectrum.....Get the cost down, fine tune the design and it'll be a really fine product......

I have one. It has good and not so good points.
I do like the reel in general dives. I love to be able to flip the light around compaired to my wire tied lights on reels. I have had them jam and lock up about 6 times requiring a total disassemble under water. They are very sensative when scaollop or lobster diving and you drop the reel on the sand for a minute to get your prize. See they jam up or I had problems with the tensioning system just locking up when just spolling the line out like it snags or something and I have to open them up. SO I love the reel but just can't trust it on a dive i'm hunting with. I also have to clean the reel out very well after everydive including total dissasembly to wash it out completely. My other two main reel do not need all this attention and have never snagged when running a line out.
So bottom line to me it's a love hate thing. I do still use it as it's a very cool and tought out reel. But when it jams up and I have to take it tottaly apart at the bottom of the ocean at 130 feet I' wasting dive time to fix it. So bottom line it's very sand sensative.

i've also seen this reel in a magazine add and have been very interested in its ease of use. would love to try one, but i cant seem to justify it's price. the line distribution across the whole spool is a very nifty function and something i had been looking for in dive reels for the last couple years. i have been curious what the housing around the spool is made of, id hate to drop it if its just plastic and the whole thing shatter. and how simple it is to take apart to clean.

bottom line for me. very innovative and impressive product but a few reserves on what its parts are made of and the materials used reliability for such a price.

We have inadvertently "drop tested" ours a few times and they always came out fine. Regarding the slight additional cost, just amortize the need to no longer untangle a few 'birds nest' while underwater and the value should shine for you!

My recommendation - go with the Reeler!

Used it a few more times this summer since my last post. I have open reels that I use for my dive flag/float combo and for use during AOW wreck training with students. I hate using the open reels anymore. It just seems as though using the reeler spoils you and now it's the only reel I want to use. The one and only time I created an entanglement due to my own stupidity while diving from my boat, I disassembled it, untangled it and had it back in service in less than 10 minutes. This is a great reel for many uses.

We have conducted many drop tests and it has held up well from over 12 ft onto concrete. Only one reel has been sent in for repair due to droppage. The user inadvertently threw a tank into his trunk on top of the reel, it cracked the winding handle (we repaired it at no cost).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom