The removal of Edmonds Oil dock...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gill Envy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hello folks, I've been in contact with WA state ferries and the city of edmonds about the planned removal of the oil dock. I have made a proposal to leave the deep water portion of the site in place and gotten an official response. If people are interested, and it's not too political for this site, i'd be happy to post the letter and response and print contact info for public comment (I've obtained permission). the motives behind the planned removal of this site are worthy of some siginificant debate, IMHO, and while the project may be inevitable, reading up on the issues is quite illuminating. I'm not very optimistic, but it might still be possible to convince the officials to comprimise on their plans to remove the whole pier if enough people call. the thing that stands out the most to me is that it appears that the environmental assessment appears to ignore the life on the pier itself because it's "man made".

basically i'm wanting to know if there is interest in this subject on this board before starting an involved thread... let me know if you are interested!

gill

I know I don't live there, and really don't have a dog in the fight, but in Texas, when we create an artifical reef, the growth on a man made oil platform is definitely taken into account when deciding where to cut the rig off, and how to place the remaining portion. Sea life is sea life, and if it's growing on a piling, well, that's where it is. Would they consider pulling out the pilings and creating a jumble on the bottom, (that way habitat is created), or must they remove the pilings to cause massive stinkage as all the formerly living things die and rot?

it appears that the impact studies are based on the likely effect that removing the pilings would have on habitat of similar type surrounding the piling system (some 800 pillings) but not the actual site in question. Creasote removal is touted as one of the main objectives but there are other objectives that appear to be of higher priotity... and there are 10's of thousands of creatures that will die when this is removed as they will have no substrate to attach. The pillings are roughly 80 years old, and it is unknown how much creasote they still have in them or how much they are leaching. Most of the other contiminants are contained in the above water structure, things that can be removed without destroying the pier.

After looking into it, the environmental benefits of removing the creasote laden pillings is really not the main motivator but merely the basis for getting funding, it appears to be more like the banner issue. the Ferry system needs environmental remediation credits (credits that are meant to offset the negative impact of future projects, like new ferry slip construction). Creosote is thought to bioaccumulate up the food chain, causing mutagenic potentials in big sea mamals like Orcas and the structure shades some eel grass beds which are thought in general to be critical to salmon habitat.

The city of edmonds bought the site from Unacal and now has to pay a fee to the DNR, basically leasing the land it's on, an ongoing expense to the city, which i'm sure weights heavy, especially considering the latest financial strains. It also posses some public safety hazard due to the fact that it's not being maintained and there are some overhead hazards for beach goers at low tide. the city of emdonds has been advised by their lawyers that it is a liability and should be removed or maintained. The city's needs overlap with the Ferrie system's need for remediation credits. the ferries have gotten funding to remove it essentially at no cost to the city... appearing from the outside to be a win for the ferries, the city and the environment. However, it appears to me that no one has considered that the growth of invertebrates that has gotten established in the current swept, deep water portion of the pier may be worthy of assessment and protection.

the fact that this is a popular dive site has no bearing for the city, since the city is one of the only places in WA that actually has an underwater park... they likely feel that they already have the recreational divers needs well taken care of, however the difference in the current swept pillings that offers deep water access and the 40 ft max depth of the dive park which is largely sheltered form current is night and day... both are great sites but very different.

"the fact that this is a popular dive site has no bearing for the city" Nor should it have any bearing. If the pilings are polluting the waters, which they are, I would like to see them removed.

Ask 10 researchers whether the pilings are "polluting" the water and you will get 12 different answers. The consensus seems to be that any creosote that was in the below-water parts vanished decades ago. Apparently the thousands of anemones, sponges, nudibranchs, bryozoans and other critters that call those pilings home didn't get the memo about it being bad for them.

Bringing this back to the original question, I for one would like to see the info.

Ask 10 researchers whether the pilings are "polluting" the water and you will get 12 different answers. The consensus seems to be that any creosote that was in the below-water parts vanished decades ago. Apparently the thousands of anemones, sponges, nudibranchs, bryozoans and other critters that call those pilings home didn't get the memo about it being bad for them.

Bringing this back to the original question, I for one would like to see the info.

Look, its not like I want to see the site go. I would also like to see the info.

Here is an interesting artical I found (that most people reference) that makes a good points for keeping the pilings http://www.wwpinstitute.org/mainpages/documents/PugetSoundCreosoteReport.pdf

Though, coal tar creosote can build up in plants and animals and is potentially toxic to humans, it doesn't appear that the levels are doing any harm.

I don't feel one way about this, I do think it's good to clean up toxic messes, however that is not the main motive behind this action as far as I can tell, it's more like an excuse, a way to get funding so the city doesn't have to pay for the removal.

Due to restrictions in text size, i'll have to post the article in sections.

here are the contacts in the local area that I spoke with, for which I have permission to share publically:

The below letter was sent to:
Kynan Patterson 206-515-3463
pattekd@wsdot.wa.gov
WA state feries

Stephen Clifton, Edmonds city economic development director 425-771-0251,
Email Clifton@ci.edmonds.wa.us

I sent the below letter to WSF and the City of Edmonds per several phone calls. I was asked to submit this write up as a proposal for consideration as an alternative to the complete removal of the Unical Pier AKA Edmonds Oil dock. The included comments were returned to me. I am told this is a public document and that I can share the contact information of the people I have been in contact with. While itÃÔ very late in the game to stop the project, it's never to late to try and it's always worth sharing your opinion. I hope you find this informative I have removedmy name since it's electronic and I won't have much control over it once it's released. To me the ultimate question is weather removing the pier will do mare harm than good and what this could mean for several other dive sites in the area..

section 1

Dear Sirs, I am writing to you as a Shoreline resident of WA state. Only relatively
recently has it come to my awareness that the plans to remove the old Unical pier in Edmonds, AKA Edmonds Oil Dock, have become imminent. Many of us hoped the plans would never come to fruition. I understand that plans have been under way for quite some time and that there have been public venues where these plans have been presented as part of a larger project. Despite public disclosure in some venues, As of 10-17-08, there has been no Public land use action notice posted at the site and yet plans are to begin it's removal in number of 2008. There is a stakeholder group that has only recently become aware of the plans through other means. This stakeholder group is the some 200,000 scuba divers in WA state who utilize the recreational and educational resources of our precious underwater resources here in WA state who most certainly would have weighed in had there been a public land use action notice in plain view on their way to one of their favorite dive sites. Opportunities for experiencing quality diving by shore access in WA state are few and far between and with the declining environment, opportunities to see thriving aquatic ecosystems, be they due to artificial reef or natural habitat, are getting harder to find and more coveted.

City/WSF Response:
Removal of the existing UNOCAL Pier is one of many environmental mitigation
measures included within the SR104 Edmonds Crossing Final Environmental
Impact Statement (FEIS). Following an 11-12 year process, the FEIS Record Of
Decision was signed by the City of Edmonds, Washington State Department of
Transportation, Federal Transit Administration and Federal Highway
Administration in 2004 and became final in July of 2005. Contained within the
FEIS are many references and maps discussing and depicting the removal of the
UNOCAL Pier (see attached Figure S-3 Modified Alternative 2 (preferred
alternative) which depicts removal of the UNOCAL Pier.

Since its inception, the Edmonds Crossing project was guided by a number of
advisory committees. Routine technical issues were addressed by a Technical
Advisory Committee. A Community Advisory Committee, consisting of regional
representatives from various agencies and Edmonds citizens, was also created to
review various design concepts and to provide input into project development. A
Project Oversight Committee, which included elected officials and representatives
of the Washington State U.S. Senate, State Senatorial 21st and 38th districts, and
Representative Districts 23rd and 21st, also met periodically at key milestones
during project development and environmental review process.

The overall FEIS process evaluated the affected environment, environmental
consequences including proposed mitigation measures, and ensured that proper
public process was followed. The overall process included many meetings and
discussions with, and reviews by, state and federal agencies, including local
Tribes. Public meetings were held throughout the process which offered the
general public many opportunities to comment. Presentations included
discussions on proposed project components, benefits and mitigation and
environmental enhancements. Large maps depicting these items were regularly
displayed during public meetings (see attached maps).
Regarding your reference to land use action, the City of Edmonds Planning
Division received a June 18, 2008 letter from Washington State Ferries
requesting an exemption from the requirement to obtain a Shoreline Substantial
Development Permit (SDP). Upon review of the information provided, the City
issued a letter on July 9, 2008 concluding that the proposed work is exempt from
the need to obtain a Shoreline Substantial Development Permit pursuant to WAC
173-27-040(2)(m). The Unocal Pier Removal was also listed as an upcoming
project in the City of Edmonds July 2008 newsletter sent to all households within
the City of Edmonds.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom