the right light for zero viz

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lizardqueen

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
after a decade and a half of tropical diving, I've joined in on a little science experiment in the Hudson River this summer. my buddies who dive around NYC and Brooklyn all the time confirm that what we had was true "zero visibility," and I think they know!

before I spend way too much on a light I read about in a british dive magazine [and I think the Brits know about low level viz too!], can anyone tell me how either the Suunto Finn Light Navy 209 or Navy 90 have worked for you?

are these even the right kind of lights to get for ultra-low viz?

to see a blurb about them, scroll 2/3 of the way down the page to the "Highlights of light engineering" area of this page :
http://www.divernet.com/equipment/0804divertests.shtml

I am a big fan of the Salvo line of lights. I use them and sell them.

In true zero viz diving such as public safety diving where there is a good bit of silt stirred up I don't think even the best light will offer any help. Some of my zero viz diving has been crime scene diving in rivers. The light would fill with the silt from the bottom and could not be seen. I could shake the head clear but it would instantly fill again with silt.

IF the water is just tanic and dark, or not really that bad a HID light would be great.

Brent

hunter991:
Some of my zero viz diving has been crime scene diving in rivers. The light would fill with the silt from the bottom and could not be seen. I could shake the head clear but it would instantly fill again with silt.

Wow, that is some bad viz.

I'd second the Salvo recommendation-they make bomb-proof, reliable, bright lights.

In a real zero vis situation the only the light will do is give you a warm fuzzy of sorts. You'll not be able to see anything other than the silt/particulate matter floating around.

It will come in handy for lighting up your guages/computer. Most of the time you'll find yourself using the touchy feely diving principle. Either diving holding hands with your buddy or using some kind of line between you so as not to lose each other.

I also find the relction from my light to be handy when I let a bit of water in my mask to work as a level. I can see the water and as long as it stays at the bottom of the mask, I know I'm oriented correctly.

All of the above can be accomplished with a cheap light. Now, if the water is near zero vis, then I would go with a LED or HID.

that was EXACTLY the problem Quarrior, I couldn't see my gauge even shining my LED right on it from 4 inches away. so since my little light wasn't doing the trick [a Pelican Recoil 2410 Submersible LED], I want to go with some other type of light, preferably not too bulky and heavy! that way I have room for more weight in my 7mm :lol:

A good bit of the diving I do is crawling around in the mud feeling for stuff. It's the only way to really find small things like shell casings and bones. I stir up the mud doing this. I haven't found a light that will help me read my pressure gauge in this situation. I normally have to come up 20 or so feet to get to water I can see the gauge in.

As far as big lights go the Salvo is top of the line and an affordable price.

Brent

lizardqueen:
that was EXACTLY the problem Quarrior, I couldn't see my gauge even shining my LED right on it from 4 inches away. so since my little light wasn't doing the trick [a Pelican Recoil 2410 Submersible LED], I want to go with some other type of light, preferably not too bulky and heavy! that way I have room for more weight in my 7mm :lol:
If that's the case, no light will help. Only thing that will possibly happen is the light will reflect off the guage and blind you.

As previously stated, you're talking about diving in a situation where you need to get to clearer water to read your guages.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom