The Rolls Royce of do it all regs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you are going to be on the west coast and at varying times of the year, I would go Apeks. They are simple easy to maintain. Popular enough to service and they are envornmentally sealed. Probably the best and most popular reg for cold canadian diving. The scubapro won't handle the colder parts of the year, and I don't think that the Atomics is big enough in Canada yet to warrant a lifelong purchase. The apeks has a powerful history, and will keep you happy.

I'd goe with the Zeagle DSIV (I think it's now called the DSV) with the ZX second stage and ZX octo. Had mine to 120' in 42 degree water many times. Not a single problem. Even stood on my head in that water and no water in my mouth.

Zeagle also gives a lifetime warranty for the parts on the annual check up. It you end up buying a used reg, the Apeks is more expensive to overhaul (just had one of each done).

Zeagle costs less than the Apeks and is US made. It's a superb breather as well.

Mares Proton Ice is assome for Cold waters.

If i were you Id be asking the people id be working with.
Im sure your university has a dive program, ask the leader of that what he or she recomends. Ask some of the other students or faculty. If your doing a field school, ask the director running it.

Me, im partial to scuba pro. ive got 2 mk-16's/550's i use on a doubles rig. over 350 dives on them now. Ive dropped them, thrown them, sunk them. Ill check ip's regularly, rebuild them once a year, and they seem to hold up well.
Internets got them for cheap, dive shops a bit more. But what I like and what you like may be two totally different things.

-g mount

rescuediver009:
The scubapro won't handle the colder parts of the year, and The apeks has a powerful history, and will keep you happy.
While I have several bud's with the Apeks, I have dove the same cold water as them with Scubapro, sub 40F to depth. Even been below the ice at 34F. The requirement should be service and proper tuning of the reg. I have seen both diaphragm and piston surface freeze in sub zero weather. The trick is to adopt strict cold weather protocols.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom