The search for the perfect BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fresh_fish

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I know there are a lot of threads about female BCs, and about Compare this and that. This is different. I've searched and searched, and have not found the "perfect" BC. There are a few things that are most haves, and The others are just that I know what I'm looking for. It's just that I can't find one! I'll lay out a list of what I'm looking for, and if there's anything that meets my criteria, I'm sure you all will tell me about it! You're awesome like that!!!

I want a jacket style, not a BP/W. I'm 5'2, and top heavy. In most of my diving, 7mm, I use 12lbs.

Must have:
Either a neoprene rolled neck, or wide neck. I have neck problems.
Back inflate, or explain hybrid. I can not tolerate the full jacket bladder.

Want:
D Rings. Not just the ones on the shoulder, but AT LEAST 2 at the bottom, and others are extra.
Accessible pockets. I need to be able to use them!
Grommets for mounting are nice, but not necessary.
Trim Weight pockets
Dump valves.
Integrated weights, preferably the kind with the pull handle. (Gotta be secure, though!)
Something that I can travel with. Not a travel BC, but not too bulky.

I dive warm and cold, salt and fresh. That is your challenge. Let's see what you come up with!!! :)

How would you get integrated weights? I know you can buy pockets, etc, but it's a bit more than what I need, considering, to get what I want, I'd have to research and buy a wing and all the other parts, just to have them. Looks like the straps are pretty narrow in the neck opening. I'd be more opening to a BP/W if I had someone standing next to me at the store of everything, and tell me what to get. Too many variables, considering there's only 1 person I know using it, and everyone else with a jacket. If I go BP/W, this is definitely it, though. I'm not all about "straps".

How would you get integrated weights? I know you can buy pockets, etc, but it's a bit more than what I need, considering, to get what I want, I'd have to research and buy a wing and all the other parts, just to have them. Looks like the straps are pretty narrow in the neck opening. I'd be more opening to a BP/W if I had someone standing next to me at the store of everything, and tell me what to get. Too many variables, considering there's only 1 person I know using it, and everyone else with a jacket. If I go BP/W, this is definitely it, though. I'm not all about "straps".

The link below is DR's #1 on-line vendor who has a great web-site with loads of diving information and products including a section on DR accessory pockets/weight pockets. By the way, the TransPac is a hybrid BCD without a back plate. I often hear the comment of "that's more than I need" when discussing BP/wings or the TransPac. They are actually less bulky and much more streamline. Less is always better with any scuba gear. The simpler the better. Good luck!

http://www.divegearexpress.com/bcs/index.shtml

Personally, I like BCDs of the style of the Transpac (I use the ScubaPro X-Tek but it is no longer manufactured). However, I think the best thing for you to do is borrow a few that you zero in on from your feedback and research and actually try them in the water.

So much of a BCDs comfort is how it feels on you and your body. I have had many recommendations, and tried several of them, but have found nothing I like better than my set-up so far (at least within my divebum's budget!).

Dr. Bill,
Unfortunately, there are not a lot of well-equipped dive shops in the detroit area. I've tried all the ones I can get my hands on, but none yet have fit the bill. All the shops say they can order anything, but I don't want to have them bring thousands of $ in inventory, just in hopes of something I MIGHT like. If I find maybe 2, I wouldn't feel too bad about having them place the order, knowing that they WILL get my business. I just can't imagine a dive shop would order a half dozen things they don't normally carry, just so you can buy MAYBE one.

I still stand by my ScubaPro LadyHawk. It fits all your requirements except for pockets.

Must have:
Either a neoprene rolled neck, or wide neck. I have neck problems.
Back inflate, or explain hybrid. I can not tolerate the full jacket bladder.
There's a good half inch of nice soft material lining the neck and I've never had it dig into me. There's also a foam back pad. It is a back inflate design.
Want:
D Rings. Not just the ones on the shoulder, but AT LEAST 2 at the bottom, and others are extra.
Accessible pockets. I need to be able to use them!
Grommets for mounting are nice, but not necessary.
Trim Weight pockets
Dump valves.
Integrated weights, preferably the kind with the pull handle. (Gotta be secure, though!)
Something that I can travel with. Not a travel BC, but not too bulky.
D-Rings: 1 one each shoulder and 1 at each side of the waist. The shoulder straps also have plastic rings which you could attach lightweight items too if you wanted giving a total of 6, but there are 4 metal rings.
Accessible pockets: This is the only thing I don't like about the vest. There is one roll up pocket which sits up under the integrated weight pouch. In warm water it's pretty accessible but I wouldn't use it for more than picking up trash. With thick gloves on it's pretty hard to unroll if you didn't start the dive that way and the zipper is small to try to grab. I've thought about adding a pocket to my cumberbund or even my wetsuit but since I'm not sure what I'd put in there anyway it isn't a huge deal.
Grommets: None come standard but you can always add 'em.
Trim Weight Pockets: One on each side on the back of the vest and very easy to get weight in and out of. Boyfriend dives a different vest and has to struggle with his while mine slide in and out quickly yet remain secure with the buckles clipped.
Dump Valves: 3 pull dumps
Integrated Weights: Large buckles that are very secure. I'd never had a weight pocket fall out and it's easy to tell if they are really clipped in or not.
Travel: Being a back inflate with a streamlined design I think it isn't as bulky as many other options out there.

Aside from being cut for a female (shorter torso) the chest buckles pivot to accommodate more womanly shape. Did I mention I love my LadyHawk BC?!

Thanks!

I'm considering that one, or possibly the Seahawk. It's new, so there's not much info on it yet.

Have you looked at the Seaquest Libra? I don't know anyone that can tell me much about it.

Thanks!

I'm considering that one, or possibly the Seahawk. It's new, so there's not much info on it yet.

Have you looked at the Seaquest Libra? I don't know anyone that can tell me much about it.

Seaquest Balance - the male version of the Libra - is a nice BCD. Have used one in the past about a dozen or so times. About as close to a BP/W or Transpac sort of thing as you can get in a traditional BCD. I really like the lack of a velcro cummerbund...

libra_larger.jpg

Seems to have everything you're looking for.

Ladyhawk, for comparison...

scubaproladyhawk.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom