The Shame

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

saying

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Was in the keys last week. Rental house on Marathon with my wife's family.

Friday night was beautiful, everyone was sitting down on the dock getting ready to watch the sunset over the Gulf and looking at the parrotfish and the lobsters under the dock.

"Look," someone said, "What is that?"

I see it's about a two foot barracuda and go into a tirade about how they may look mean, but are actually so friendly and curious and about how they'll never, ever hurt you.

Ten minutes later the reds and yellows of the sunset completely wipe my memory of all existence of all barracuda completely from my mind. Because this is when I sit down and dangle, not my whole feet, just my first two toes of both feet in the water and start splashing around.

POW!!!!

A stream of obsenities flows from me.

"What happened?" my wife jumps.

"That f-ing barracuda bit me."

"How do you know?"

Well, because in that split second of surprise my brain said: dusk, barracuda nearby, you dangling a small piece of meat in the water and splashing around with it. This equals: you're a moron!

My foot is covered in the blood that is issuing quite liberally from my big toe and my only thought is, "Well, at least it's still there."

And thank god that my wife's uncle is a doctor who, on inspection of the wound, insisted that stiches weren't just a good idea, but a neccesity. Otherwise I'd be hobbling around with a sock full of cotton balls and medical tape.

So, even after paying the $25 in luggage overage (each way), I didn't get to dive once.

Stupid fish.

No.

Stupid me.

Stupid you.

Hungry fish.

:D

Sorry to hear it.. good story though :wink:

Ouch! Get Well Soon!

Well, I think we can all agree on the most important lesson learned as a result of that incident - your wife's family has learned never to listen to you again about anything having to do with the ocean.

On the plus side, you have the rare distinction of actually having been bitten by one of those critters. And here I always thought they were friendly and curious ...

Hope you're feeling better and recover quickly.

Great day in the mornin'... I'm laughin' through the tears!
Sorry your diving got ruined; thankful you didn't lose a toe; but man, that's still funny!
Rick :) :) :)
(I'm moving this over to the Scuba Tales forum it's so good)

Makes you wonder about those guys that dive in the nude doesn't it? Sorry you didn't get to dive, thankful you still have your toe.

:laughing: sorry, that one actually made me laugh out loud..

Hope the toe is healing well.... hehehehehehe!

Ouch! And now you know there's this little rogue barracuda out there that's had a taste of you, liked it, and is wondering if he'll ever get seconds.

LOL!! I'm sorry - now it's funny, but that does suck your diving was done. :(

Back
Top Bottom