The Spinyhead versus Secretary Blenny Dilemma

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wahu

Reaction score
A recent video on EHow states that to differentiate between the secretary and spinyhead, if the blenny has the white bar below and behind the eye, the blenny is a secretary. If this is true than this set of photos should be a piece of cake with 8962 as a secretary and 9017 as a spinyhead. 8963 looks a little different though: the white bar is much less prominent and the coloration is generally greener, so that's the one that needs the most attention. Your input is appreciated.

Attachments

• 8962.jpg
    8962.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 87
  • 8963.jpg
    8963.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 120
  • 9017.jpg
    9017.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 78
Since both species can have the white streak, the way to ID is by the cirri on top of their heads -- which is a good reason to carry a magnifying glass or to shoot macro.

Secretary blennies have two, fairly tall, short-branched trees with on top of their heads. (Roughheads have bushes.) Its cirri are much taller & more branched that the Spinyheads, which usually have only two, maybe three, short branches per side.

Your photos are opening as thumbnails only for me. Is there a link to larger images?

I've commented on your photos on the REEF ID forum. So you know I believe these could be Spinnyheads, Secreteraries, or maybe even Roughheads (though I really think #3 is a Spinny) But yes ID for blennies needs lots of minute sharp details so you can clearly see those cirri arrangements on their heads.

You should be able to save the uploaded images to your computer directly from the Scubaboard attachment link and then open that file into your photo viewing program for a closer look. These are cropped from larger images so they are small files. You will then be looking at the biggest image I have. They do allow a pretty detailed look for a non-macro image, but you won't be able to count cirri branches.

Technical issues aside, what I understand so far is that they both can have the white streak but that the Secretary has taller and more branched cirri. From this I speculate:

Since 9017 has no streak than that is more likely to be the Spiny. But then again here is someone calling a similar individual with no white streak a Secretary: http://www.octopusdiving.com/wp-content/gallery/wildllife/secretary-blenny-profile.jpg . Could they be mistaken?

8963 (and 8964, I've added another of the same subject) seems to have no cirri at all so this is most likely to be the Spiny as well.

8962 has the white streak and rather tall and full cirri so this one seems likely to be a secretary. The size of these cirri makes me wonder though since I usually see them smaller on the Secretaries (for instance here: http://blog.charleswguthrie.com/080206-9259DA-1.jpg)
Is there a third option for this subject?

Someone should tell EHow that the information about white streaks is wrong.

Attachments

• 8964.jpg
    8964.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 102
Sometimes very similar fishes are difficult to positively ID. Careful study of one of our best Caribbean fish references -- the Reefnet DVD -- shows that even very experienced people get mixed up sometimes and use the same photo for two similar but different species. Also, marine fish ID is a relatively new science -- family and species re-classifications are constant.

My personal compromise for these similar-looking tube blennies -- applied only in Cozumel, where I dive most often and where there's under a dozen common species -- is: If it has two, clearly tree-branched cirri, it's a Secretary. If it has two little antennae -- OK to have a branch or two -- it's a Spinyhead. If it has a big bush on its head, it's a Roughhead. All others are discounted because I can't positively ID them. (There may even be some hybridization going on? Who knows?!)

You don't say where your photos were taken so there's no way to research which tube blennies live in those waters. You may get a better answer from a knowledgeable local -- I don't know. Depth is also a factor as some species are only found shallow. As you suggest, one or more of your blennies may be something other than the two species you're considering. Without great images, it's impossible to home in on the ID. IMO, with these you'll receive a lot of best guesses but you may not get to the point where you're absolutely, positively comfortable with any answer.

All Best,
Deb

From the ichthyology world:

The CDs and books are wrong on this group- the "punk" blenny is the real secretary blenny, Acanthemblemaria maria. The common fish called secretary blenny in the guides are just spinyhead blennies with prominent markings, Acanthemblemaria spinosa. A. maria have big head spines, the ID is easier when they are out of their hole and the maria have just a few side blotches and spinosa have many (and they have a fin ray count difference).

Ben
coralreeffish.com

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom