The Treasure of San Miguel Island

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

covediver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
This book was the first of four novels that I read on the Channel Islands recently. It was also the most disappointing of the four. While the book is an honest try by William H. White to write a biographical novel, it falls a little short in the credibility department. It is in fact, a bit incredible; while one has to suspend disbelief to enjoy Cussler's fiction one not only has to suspend it but expel it as well for this novel. I did find the description of mid-century abalone diving in an unrelated chapter at the end of the book to be very informative (if in need of a good editor) but it did not redeem the rest of the novel.

Still, there are some elements of truth in the story. San Miguel is the place of mystery and legend. The purported resting place of the explorer Juan Cabrillo (as are at least three other islands) there have been rumors of a lost Spanish galleon at Point Bennett. That geographic feature serves as a giant "catchers mitt" for any vessel or other debris drifting down the coast. In the 1970s, a salvage company actually had a license from the Coastal Commission to check out the area but the reports are inconclusive. The area is a foul ground of submerged rocks, contrary currents, and high waves. It is known by the few who venture there as "shark park" as the men in grey suits are drawn to the feed lot provided by the pinnaped haulouts on shore. Elements of this geography are central to the plot of the novel, but it never quite lived up to my expectation.

Bottom line--a novel that might capture the imagination of a couple of 13 year olds. If you buy it, donate it to a middle school when you are done.

Darn, I've scoured San Miguel topside and underwater... now I know why I never found the treasure! Of course the great whites patrol the waters so maybe the treasure is safe!

So you were the one who absconded with the treasure in the mid-70s. I always wondered how you could maintain that life of impoverished gentility on Catalina Island.

Yep, my first visit to the island was in 1976... strictly topside. I've been living the high life ever since.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom