The Truth About Nitrox

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Everyone, I am concerned by some of the statement made here, there is a wide variation in susceptibility to O2 toxicity among individual divers and a significant variation in a single diver at different times when it comes to higher partial pressures of oxygen as found in Nitrox. The fact of the matter is, in the second case is mostly unknown at this time and just theorized, but a large part can be attributed to known physiological and environmental circumstances. Chances of an O2 hit is increased by certain factors, PARTICULARY those that cause increased internal PCO2, such as we all due when we breathe through scuba, which causes us to breathe against resistance. Physical exertion, pressure/ immersion, temperature, all increases one chances of a “Hit”. All of these factors make it difficult to predict the occurrence of CNS toxicity. Methods that have been proven for the prevention of a hit are based on the PO2 / O2 levels to which a diver is exposed. It is the US Navy and NOAA that have set these standards and this approach has been practiced for many years and I believed fist published by NOAA in 1978, and is intended for light to moderate work loads. Did the Navy push these limits? Yes. Should a diver. NO NEVER NO.
The limits are a line drawn through some gray areas of gradually increasing risk. (It even says so in the manuals) And are based just as your dive tables on limit- based algorithms and are recommend for NORMAL CONDITIONS. They have been proven in practice for most of the people most of the time. And they are not guaranteed. They are designed to give the diver a low risk of becoming O2 toxic. DO NOT USE SURFACE EXPOSURE LIMITS AS A GUIDE UNDER ANY CONDITION. I know a few divers who are now DEAD not watching their PO2 limits. EAN is a great way to dive. I have been using enriched gas for almost a decade and I believe it make a significant difference, also the use of higher levels of O2 WHEN PROPERLY TRAINED helps in decompression.
These limits should not be altered. And if your out of shape, older, or just want to play it safe reduce your PO2 limits to 1.4 – 1.5 or lower just to play it safe. Even the NOAA tables on Exposure go to 60 minutes at 1.6 but it is in black and states you are under EXTREAM RISK.
If you want to learn more, which I think every diver should, invest $80.00 (not a lot of money when it comes to scuba) and buy yourself a NOAA manual.

Can any of the Docs here provide supporting information that suggests OT is more likely under demanding conditions? I suspect most of us know the answer, but such info could be quite interesting as it pertains to this discussion.

Thanks.

Mike

I'm not sure if this is appropriate or not, but I started digging through my personnal notes that I have accumulated over the years, and thought I'd post what information I have regarding oxygen toxicity. Jarrod Jablonski of GUE and extreme caver of the WKPP wrote the following remarks as it pertains to this subject.
I certainly can't validate the accuracy of his remarks or mistakes/typos he may have made in writing them. These remarks were also made some years ago, and I can't be certain whether these are his current views (I haven't heard him talk differently). So, y'all will just have to take this at face value. IMO, JJ is one of a handfull of guys who have been there-done it and has a genuine level of expertise which is why I decided to post this.

Enjoy.

------

Damage starts to occur as the lungs are exposed to higher PO2's and/or more time at elevated PO2 . The damage seems largely reversible unless it is allowed to go to far. Relatively small doses of increased PO2 seem to reverse rapidly while longer doses take more recovery time. The damage to the lungs is represented by swelling of the lung tissue, irritation, and coughing or breathing discomfort (usually in later stages). The damage to one's lungs is usually measured through Vital capacity (which is measured
with a Spiro meter and evaluates forced exhalation and lung volume). Vital capacity continues to decline in a generally consistent manner the longer you remain exposed. The decline can be reduced with the use of breaks off the high oxygen gas (i.e. "air" breaks- we usually use He based gas). OTU's (Oxygen Tolerance Units) are used to track oxygen exposure. They are essentially the same thing as the older UPTD measurement. One OTU
accumulates for every minute of pure oxygen at one ata. This was developed to allow a standard method to discuss oxygen dose accumulation. At a PO2 of .5 or less there does not seem to be any significant alteration in lung function ergo the .5 part of the equation. The OTU equation allows one to calculate the OTU's for any PO2. So you merely calculate the PO2 and solve for OTU. For example, (1.6-.5/.5).83 is 1.92 OTU/min. You can solve this for each time/PO2 step. Other equations such as the Harabin equation
attempt to create a linear representation of degrading lung elasticity (also known as vital capacity). This is done by fitting a linear equation to data of vital capacity reductions. For example, %VC drop=-.11(PO2-.5)t where t= time.
Dive safe,
JJ

---------

This question requires a far longer response than would be practical right now. I will see what I can put together in the near future but lets start with this general outline. Oxygen Exposure is problematic for several reasons including:
1) High degree of variability in oxygen tolerance
2) Inconsistent measurements and difficulty assessing oxygen tolerance
3) Poor understanding of oxygen toxicity mechanisms

In general the biggest problem with oxygen relates to the significant variability between individuals and within one individual over time. Plots of PO2 and time look more like a wide bore shotgun blast than sensible graph. Subjects would often manage huge tolerances (sometimes several hours) one day and then tox in a matter of minutes the next day.
Unfortunately tolerances would vary so dramatically that there was not any notable success in establishing a trend such as increased or decreased tolerance. Most oxygen tolerance testing was done with pure oxygen commonly at 30,60, and 90'. Many individuals managed amazing tolerances that make current limits seem ridiculously conservative. However, other individuals experienced problems very early in the tolerance time limits. Actually measuring tolerance proved to be a significant problem with exposure testing while early tests often used time limits based upon actual toxic events (ie seizures) and later studies limited time to what has become the commonly recognized "symptoms" known by the acronym VENTID. As a result some individuals that managed significant times when pushed to seizure were then limited by the occurrence of a symptom perhaps prematurely. The occurrence of symptoms did seem to at least loosely relate to toxicity incidence but unreliably and with many complications. This complication in the measuring process further skews what one might refer to as the "actual" toxicity time limits
Furthermore, our inability to get a handle on the mechanisms behind oxygen toxicity confuse limiting its impact and/or measuring the time limits. For example, consider immersion in water and its role in the development in oxygen toxicity. Merely being immersed (as opposed to being in a dry chamber) increases the risk of oxygen toxicity. Being immersed in hot or cold water (either pole is similar in impact) decreases tolerance. Numerous factors affect one's likelihood of succumbing to toxicity but our understanding of these mechanisms and our ability to manipulate them is a very inexact process and highly problematic
The preceding issues are important in considering oxygen toxicity manifestations and in discussing the "oxygen clock". This clock "works" by relating the chosen maximum time at a given PO2 (ie 45@1.6) to a percentage of accumulated time at this PO2. Of course, the success or failure of this clock relates to the accuracy of the time limit which is confused by susceptibility. The 100% (ie 45min at 1.6) limit suggests that as you exceed this parameter your risk of oxygen toxicity markedly increases.
Actually it is a bit more complicated than this but in general this is the idea. However, on our dives we regularly exceed several thousand percent and have pushed into the 10,000% range leaving these numbers to seem meaningless. While they are not meaningless and are in fact a good but very general rule of thumb it is important to see these "limits" for what they are- a forced best guess based on highly variable and conflicting data.
Realistically it seems that these limits are probably overly conservative for the vast majority, good for some, and not enough for a very few. However, given the risk (ie seizure and likely drowning) it is prudent for most people to stay near the limits. These "limits" are really more of a range that should be used as a generally sensible guideline.
The problem in technical diving is that an ardent belief in these numbers leads people to assume that they must save the extra 5 or 10% off their clock by using odd gas mixtures. It is very likely that divers are best served by regular breaks from oxygen (for deco benefit and extended O2 tolerance) and the conservative use of PO2 (such as 1.4 or less for diving). Oxygen tolerance limits are in many ways similar to Decompression limits in that they are likely too conservative for many and highly variable for most individuals. Furthermore, violating these "limits" may increase the risk of an unpleasant outcome or more likely will produce no noticeable impact. However, the risk of violation (which includes pain and death) is likely not worthwhile for the vast majority of divers. These ranges should be viewed with respect but also an understanding of their history and an appreciation for the variation that leads some divers to reevaluate their role in technical diving.

Safe diving,
JJ

Exelent LY,,Consider tho the comparison between WKPP divers and the general population.Thier Vo2 max is much lower probly,so it would seem the rate of inspiration would be lower.The overall conditioning of many divers is deplorable,but it's thier choice.But to expect to tolerate conditions that are marginally dangerous to an in-shape 25 yr old when one is older ,rounder,smokes or drinks,doesn't have the training and surface and sub-surface support are still Darwin candidates to me.One of my buddies has been diving and instructing mix for 12 yrs,as he is over 40 and a little round we limit at 1.4 bottom max and 1.5 deco with mandatory back breaks every 15 min.This is even with all the above training and support.These are areas a lot of cyber-divers are great a finding arcane and obscure information on the net and then monkey-wrenching.I love CaptJT's motto because of this.

I totally agree with you, Tony. Like many things in the diving industry, there's a lot more to the story than most realize.

Take care.

Mike

I think that you have all gone around the circle...This is not an exact science...For you to try to quantify it is not possible because of all of the variables involved.
I teach Nitrox and I have found that the reason there is NOAA 1 and NOAA 2 gas mixes is this covers the range of variables adequately for diving Nitrox.> One of the problems with some of the training agencies is they make this a mathematical night mare and people get confused...Not all people diving are engineers. The best motto is to keep it simple...Which keeps people diving and diving safely...If you put your buddy on noaa 1 you don't have to worry about the math.. Its done for you.....

captdave,
You've hit the nail squarely on the head. Lots of people try to make rocket science out of diving. My Motto is KISS, Keep It Simple Stupid! Now don't get me wrong, we all need to know some basic physics and psychology, but we shouldn't get so bogged down that we are paralyzed with indecision or information for that matter. Seek good training, practice and follow it, dive within ones limits, and use commomn sense. That kinda takes the rocket science out doesn't it?:tree:Bob

Well, I personally find that CaptDave pegged that very well from a store and sales point of view...

Make it so simple that anyone can get the c-card and go spend more money...
However, if I need my MOD to run to 120 with a safety net, I surely would not want to dive NOAA 1 or 2 - coming up with the correct EANx in this case would require that you know how to do the math or read the tables... Naturally - this also assumes that you didn't just get your OW c-card and moved on to AOW with no dives in between as I have noticed a lot of shops like to do.

Where I get gas, I analyze my gas myself - the only way to get out of there, I also lookup MOD and note it on the tank.
I think a big issue here is to consider whether divers are responsible for their action or if they need to be kept to a minimal knowldege so they do not go out and hurt themselves...

Anyway - this is merely an observation and not neccesarily truth or anywhere near.

Big T

Regarding the proper mod (Maximum Operating Depth) This information must be by standards written on each tank.
Noaa 1 or 32 % allows 120 (MOD). Analysis also is a required standard..Both by the blender and the customer and all of this information has to be placed in a proper log..If the shop you are getting fills does not provide this information logging and proper analysis I suggest you look for another..As a Nitrox Instructor I want all of the Nitrox divers to own there own analyser but many do not want to spend the $2-$400.00 required to purchase one.. In my shop I make them at least use our anaylizer and sign off on the O2 content.Divers trust their shops too much.
I don't like this but what else can you do..In Mexico I used to purchase nitrox and the shop seemed bothered I wanted to anaylise their mix...I later found out they were blending E grade and not Oxygen Compatable air...I no longer use this shop..We blend all of our own tanks for diving and training for this reason...Get to know your dive shop operator..Ask Questions..check them out. Make them prove to you they are using Oxygen compatable and not e grade air and also what grade of Oxygen are they using..A Proper shop should be displaying independent testing analysis of their air. Their Oxygen Bottles should be either medical grade or Aviation Grade. Look at there Cascade bottles they must be by law plainly labeled.
For a long time now there has been a lot of good old boys using welding Oxygen which is Ok but the large cylinders are not required to have a vacuum pulled as the application is for welding..Possible contaminated oxygen may result. They also are not using the proper blending type manifolds with back flow preventers metering flow meters etc...This is highly dangerious but a result of people getting into Nitrox and not willing to pay what it cost to do it properly..Frankly it is a nightmare..Look at all blenders with questions and if their fill stations look like old plumbing Get the hell out of there.

Hey Guys,
I didn't suggest that anyone dive without the proper knowledge or training. Yeah, I stick a piece of duct tape on my tank and write the MOD, the date and the %EAN. I've already planned my dive so I know what my BT will be, give or take a little. I think student divers need to meet more stringent standards in order to obtain a c-card. BTW, that's a minority opinion on this board. I'm not a dive shop operator or instructor, just a guy who loves to dive and logged over 800 dives in the last few years. It goes without saying that the higher rating one attains, the higher his/her skill level should be. With that skill comes the knowledge of how to dive more safely. It all comes back to skill, training and common sense. Let's not make diving something it's not. I would rather dive with someone who dives within his/her abilities and uses a little common sense than a person who can spout a twenty minute dissertation on dive physics and has only five or ten dives under his/her belt. I hope this clarifies my position. I certainly respect every differing opinion, but I stand by mine.:tree:Bob

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom