The wait is over: Suunto Eon Steel is here

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would find it very useful know all the foreseen stops without guessing through calculations or consulting my backup computer. Will you consider an option to have the Eon Steel display a list with all the stops during a deco dive (with their respective depth, time and nature) ? Could look like a simple table stating:

Deepstop 1: 20m 0’50”
Deepstop 2: 10m 1’
Decostop 1: 3m 2’

Or did I miss something in the manual and is there already a solution for this?
you miss something

Suunto doesn't use fixed stops, but sliding ceiling.
so the ceiling can be :
- no more than 9 m, 2 min
- then a few minutes later no more than 4.00 m, 4 min
- then .....

Mares uses fixed stops.

I would guess individual cylinder pressures. But an spg and hose is less than a hundred bucks. Transmitters are 4-5 times that.

Jim, I don't understand this. If the divers are to put transmistter on each tank, then the computer is to track each cylinder for pressure and provide alarm for cylinda switching, then where is the side mount basic training??? It is riding the computer to a new level. While some may think that a computer should do all the thinking for them, at least myself think the most important computer in any dive should be between our ears.

Aaron, I only posted why they might want this feature. I didn't post my opinion on the idea. I've already been banned from one area on sb. Didn't want to add to that. ;=)

I don't understand this. If the divers are to put transmistter on each tank, then the computer is to track each cylinder for pressure and provide alarm for cylinda switching, then where is the side mount basic training?

Yes when we say we want Sidemount features we are talking about the ability to effectively use the air integration. What I don't understand why you would get on a forum about a $1400 computer with $400 transmitters and the ability to use up to 10 of them and say "you shouldn't have this function or that function. It makes you a bad diver". If a function can be had it should be had. A better statement might be "as a new diver you shouldn't buy a computer with all the bells and whistles until you can dive without them". I did all the basics 14 years ago and now I like the convenience of seeing all my data in one place and I think it improves the experience. I'm not incapable of using the SPGs and I still have them but...

In addition to an alarm (not really needed but why not add it) a big thing is that when you use two tanks of the same gas the switching is too involved for how often you do it on a deep sidemount dive. So we would like that to be easier or if possible unnecessary. Last when your done and you download the dive the two tanks show separate and therefore each have a weird SAC rate that is approximately half of what it truly is. One of the best parts of air integration is that you can get a true SAC and see how it changed throughout the dive. Right now it's less useful than it could be when your gas switching every 500PSI. So we want the computer to be able to treat the two transmitters as one gas after the download and during the dive to view both or switch automatically. (with a quick bottom press if that isn't possible)

Any other questions?

Hi,
as already mentioned the Suunto RGBM is not based on fixed stops (besides DS and safety stop) but a ceiling depth which is continuously changing throughout the dive. The asc time is the time needed for ascending if you strictly follow the ceiling, so the quickest way up without ignoring/violating anything. So in a way the list you'd like to have is already displayed. Once you've passed 10m you'll get a 3' safety stop at 3-6m anyway, so this is quite easy to keep in mind. Only the deeper DS will be displayed though... hope this helps you getting a better overview

br Hendrik

I got one for you Hendrik, (or anyone else that might know)

I didn't dive for 26 days. My Eon was still over half full but I threw it on the wall charger the nigh before the next dive. I didn't notice until after the second dive that the time and date were reset. To my knowledge there wasn't a restart but can you give me an idea of why that would happen.

Second now that it happened I can change the date and time in DM5 but it looks like the Eon is stuck with the dates forever or until I fill the memory so, forever. Is there any remedy for this issue?

Thanks

Mine was resting in closet for about four months since last diving in Belize. When taking out of rest I got this Error screen and been counting down since. Did pool dive and the computer and DM5 did not register the 8' dive at all though it functioned properly in the pool. Is this a problem with the low battery status that will go away after the countdown period I can find no mention of this issue in the literature or online. The picture shows yellow but the error and time is quite red on the computer.SS021495000

Attachments

• 20150927_234242 (1).jpg
    20150927_234242 (1).jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 250
Hi,
we're investigating this and are confident that we'll get it fixed soon. ChickenSCUBA's data helped a lot (many thanks!). More data would be very welcome though: Carlito35, we'd appreciate getting yours too. I'll send you a PM...

br, Hendrik

When my Eon steel was new a full charge would show 34 hours. After the firmware update in June it now only shows 24 hour with a full charge and the screen setting on bright. A number of people at MySuunto website have the same issue, are any of you experiencing this?
Another thing is it seems to be doing is using power somehow when stored. I had fully charged it a week ago to 24 hours and it is now down to 22 hours. Other than these two issues I've been very happy with it. Hopefully this info helps with any kind of firmware tweak.
Cheers, Dennis

Back
Top Bottom