Theme 01 - 15 November 2009: Prickly

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Urchin1.jpg

008-VBS-SeaStar1-c.jpg

016-VBS-BritStar3.jpg

Awesome shots Bora Horza. Do you know which Scorpionfish that is? I still have a very hard time really bringing out a Scorpionfish in my pics. They either blend in almost perfectly with the surrounds when I don't fire the flash or they stand out like an ugly red blotch when I do fir the flash. I guess I'll just have to get a strobe.

Hi Deefstes, I think its a bearded scorpionfish, but I dont know much more than that. I use a Canon A570 IS with just the internal flash, and the nicer pics I've managed to get of scorpionfish are when I've found one against a contrasting background, and it has'nt changed colour to match it yet! I think I was lucky finding the below scorpionfish posing on an outcrop on a wall, so its in sharp focus against a blurry background. Not a clue as to what this colourful one's actually called though!

scorpionfish_13.jpg

Crown of Thorns:
3958159063_4452f352b8.jpg

Urchins practicing safe sex (not the only urchin I found that night with a condom wrapper on it, weird...) - I have a whole collection of photos of urchins I've found with various things stuck to them like forks, cable ties, leaves, etc. The best one was when my buddy found one with a circuit board - ROBOURCHIN!
3795367150_716a0169c9.jpg

Rough Leatherjacket
3359530164_2d4f170d1e.jpg

Common Gunard Perch
3987524838_b4d401efbe.jpg

I have a whole collection of photos of urchins I've found with various things stuck to them like forks, cable ties, leaves, etc. The best one was when my buddy found one with a circuit board - ROBOURCHIN!

And do you have them all in one album somewhere so we can have a look?

And do you have them all in one album somewhere so we can have a look?

Not exactly but there is this album: Seastars, Cucumbers + Urchins - a set on Flickr if you search for sea urchin they'll all appear :)

My camera has died and I am too poor to get a new one until the new year so sadly no more urchin additions for a while. Tonight I saw one with a price sticker on it and another with a sea horse sitting on top, sad to have missed those shots for my collection :(

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom