Thermocline vs Lavacore

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FireStalker

Registered
Reaction score
I'm looking to see if anyone here has ever had experience with both the Forth Element Thermocline wetsuit and the Lavacore wetsuit. I have an allergy to neoprene and am looking for a way to wear 5mm with of thermal protection. Both the suits offer about 2-3 mm worth of protection, and I need to wear a 3mm over it.

I purchased a Lavacore to use as an underlayer barrier to a Henderson wetsuit, but it does not seem to protect me from an allergic reaction.

I have seen that the Thermocline wetsuit actually mentions on their website as being a barrier to those with neoprene allergies. But from the one time I got a glimpse of a Thermocline wetsuit, they appeared to be identical in materials and design. They both have the fleece interior, a waterproof layer, and a Lycra type outer shell. Look and feel seemed identical.

If the Thermocline would work for a barrier underlayer for me, then I would be more than willing to spend the money for a full set. But I hate to purchase it if it's not going to work for me and I still have a reaction, and also be out about $400 for a suit I am unable to use. So any info you have would be very appreciated!

IMO the 4th element product is far superior to the Lavacore, but will offer no further protection against the neoprene.

If the allergies are that much of a concern I would suggest looking at as trilaminate drysuit with silicone seals.

Back
Top Bottom