• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Things you've found under water

Discussion in 'Underwater Treasures' started by FatCat, Feb 12, 2005.

1. Mark IV

Mark IV Nassau Grouper

# of Dives: 2,500 - 4,999
    Wow, did you ever get lucky ! I have a similar one, where i had absolute FITS finding a watch, in 4 ft of clear water, with a smooth sandy bottom, and where I knew exactly where it was lost.
    Back in the late 90's, I was working in Cozumel, but also used to go to Playa sporadically and work at a jet ski/dive operation that ran out of the RIU hotel, and was owned by a Canadian freind (who got run out of Cozumel on a rail, after a female freind of ours disappeared forever on a deep dive with them.....long story).
    Anyway, I was whooping it up on a jet ski, playing the fool and cutting up just offshore, and managed to get my bad self tossed off the ski, and my Seiko dive watch somehow busted loose of the band (and I was already having a real bad day....).
    After not finding it right off, I beached the ski, and ran up to the equipment bedoga and grabbed a dive mask, and then spent what seems like nearly an hour walking around searching the smooth,clean,sandy bottom.......and not seeing anything. Finally, I completely snap, and am cussing out loud,smacking the water in frustration, and i take one more look, and the damn thing is sitting right in front of me like a shiny silver dollar on the bottom of a swimming pool !!
    It was the weirdest damn thing. But that wasn't the weirdest part. As I surfaced with the watch, with a big triumphant smile, I immediately see my Canadian buddy walking down the beach towards me with an even bigger smile. I was pretty sure i knew why, and when I ran up to him, he said the concierge at another nearby hotel, had the passport and FF3 (work visa) that I'd lost while bicycling into the shop that morning !!! At the time, we'd been talking about switching my work papers to his operation, and me moving over to Playa from Cozumel, which is why I was running around with my papers like an idiot).
    Anyway, it turned out some toursists found my stuff, turned it in to their hotel concierge, who check the info on my FM3, then called the operation I legally worked for in Cozumel, who told them to call Craig over at the RIU !!!! I was stressing hard the entire day over this, and it all came together 3 seconds after i found my trusty dive watch !!
    The Lord doth provide !! (that's gotta be my best lost-and-found story) :D

Jared0425 likes this.
  2. ljpm

ljpm Barracuda

# of Dives: 50 - 99
    Similar story.
    I was in Cuba on my honeymoon. I was about 50 meters from shore, in water up to my nose (chin on tip toes), slight wave and surge. A came to a stop, stood up and felt my wedding ring slid off. I dove down 6 8 times and nothing. I had no mask so vision was very blurry. I was also very buoyant. I could also only swim down so far because I was stirring up the sand on the bottom and then I would shoot back up to the surface. Eventually I just stopped to think. I started to call my wife, who was not a strong swimmer. Stopped when I realized she wouldn't be able to help, plus I didn't want to have to explain how I lost my wedding ring already. I must have stood their 15 minutes not knowing how to proceed. Eventually I continued to dive down. I realized that there was a small depression on the bottom so every time came up I located the depression with my foot. After about another dozen dives I saw it and was able to fight my buoyancy long enough to grab it. Put the ring back on and swam back to shore with my left hand in a fist.

Mark IV likes this.
  3. Mark IV

Mark IV Nassau Grouper

# of Dives: 2,500 - 4,999
    Ha! That ^ reminds me of another one, also a lost wedding ring story. I was finishing some shore dives/traning with a guy down from the states, doing a referral.
    I forget if he was on his honeymoon, or was recently married, but he said he'd lost his platimum wedding band, and was all in a panic to go hunt it down. I believe we went back a 2nd day to hunt for it, and the area was a rocky,sandy place, not very clear water, right next to the Aqua Safari pier (it was close,cheap and convenient for shallow training and a dive or two, and we'd use it occasionally, especially on clients that really beat us up on a cert price !).
    Anyway, we both hunted for that thing for a good long time, walking around with masks on in about 4-5 ft of water, and I finally told him that I thought it was a wash, we weren't gonna find it. He resisted and talked me into taking another look, and when I put my face in the water, sitting right in front of me, on top of a small boulder, was his wedding ring !!!! It was so prominently placed, i was halfway suspecting he'd put it there, but he'd been searching a few yards away, and it was in my search area, where I'd been for a good while.
    How I missed that thing just sitting there for so long was a mystery.
    (I'm thinking this was the same day my bare foot slid down between two rocks, and got spiked with what looked like a sharpened,rusty bicycle spoke !! I had to TUG to get that thing out, and going to get a tetanus shot was yet another interesting example of how they "do things different in Mexico",LOL!)

4. Nathan Doty

Nathan Doty Angel Fish

Just reading that made me feel claustrophobic. Cave diving, not for me.