Things you've found under water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've found several anchors, a chain, an old bridge timber, a Timex Expedition watch (which I wear every day), a Spiderman watch, an earring, fishing rods, a small wooden boat, a frisbee, welding rods (yep), an old iron road gate, about a thousand golf balls, a bunch of fishing lures & sinkers, a car battery, one snorkel....and a bunch of bottles, cans, & trash...

I found this fish...Can any one identify it?

Attachments

• IMG_5444.jpg
    IMG_5444.jpg
    240.4 KB · Views: 236
  • IMG_5445.jpg
    IMG_5445.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 230
  • IMG_5446.jpg
    IMG_5446.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 200
  • IMG_5449.jpg
    IMG_5449.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 225
  • IMG_5450.jpg
    IMG_5450.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 193
looks like a lionfish, possibly a dwarf zebra?
Where found?
How big?

I gota say I didn't stumble on them but fossil shark teeth as big as your hand has to be the best thing I ever found. I never thought of myself as a treasure hunter, only an observer but after looking at somthing for a few days that no human has ever touched, was pretty exciting. These sharks have been extinct for at least 1.5 million years and were the size of a modern blue whale. What a find!

Yesterday, I found a 75mm tank shell yesterday and about 100 rounds of 30 cal! All the rounds had been through a HUGE concusive force and are weirdly compressed on all sides. While I was rootin' (is that a word?) around in the sand I found a USMC personal effects issued brass double edged razor mixed in with the rounds under the sand as well. All this was found by area 6 of the Okinawan Invasion from WW2.

2871787320100390769S600x600Q85.jpg

Diving off our pier on the lake we live on I "recovered" 3 buoys sunk by my over-eager Golden Retriever Reggie who is under the impression they need to be "rescued".

DSC_0126.jpg

I also found 3 raft ladders, numerous (TOO numerous) soda and beer cans, a Christmas tree, lots of plastic lures and a handful of tires. I left the tires, Christmas tree and lures! I expect to find quite a bit more next year once the ice is off and I finally get a drysuit.

Found a pair of Mares goggles at Vets Park. Come to find out, my instructor that I was "buddy diving" with knew who lost the exact pair the weekend before.

Maybe he wanted them for himself, but I got a free Nitrox cert out of it!

looks like a lionfish, possibly a dwarf zebra?
Where found?
How big?

The tale-tale give away is the large spike coming off his head. I was wondering if the fish was part of the dart-fish family. The fish was about a 1 1/2. The fish acted like a leaf fish gently flowing back and forth in the water. I found the fish on the south west side of ShibiShi Island, Okinawa, Okinawa Prefecture, Japan. This area sits along the Kursho Current or Black Current which is bigger than the gulf stream as the entire Pacific Ocean flows north from Indonesia, Philippines, and updwellings from the Japanese Trench mix with the warm water to create unique habitat. We have found all sorts of bazzar creatures. This fish could also be a juvenial to an adult as some fish change drastically.

Yesterday, I found a 75mm tank shell yesterday and about 100 rounds of 30 cal! All the rounds had been through a HUGE concusive force and are weirdly compressed on all sides. While I was rootin' (is that a word?) around in the sand I found a USMC personal effects issued brass double edged razor mixed in with the rounds under the sand as well. All this was found by area 6 of the Okinawan Invasion from WW2.

2871787320100390769S600x600Q85.jpg

The initial invasion charts for Okinawa were colors not numbers. If the effects were Marine on the intial invasion then you were north of the Hija River near Kadena Town. Of course there was a second BLS for the 6th Marines who came a shoar latter down by Camp Kinser.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom