Think gasoline is high?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I could see americans rise as a mob on washington if it was $10 a gallon.

Here is a question in europe how much of the $10 is tax? It is about a $1 around here. 28 cents state tax then the feds get in on it as well

A couple of years ago there was a week long "fuel strike" where the long-distance lorry drivers and other disgruntled civilians blockaded in the fuel tankers at their respective refineries. It didnt take long before there were countrywide shortages and queues as far as the eye could see at petrol station forecourts. As for the tax, I cant be bothered to look up the exact figure as I'm ill, but its more than 3/4 if I remember rightly!

Freds :coffee:

ouch. It would be mass panic in the streets. Get feeling better. When the gas drops below $2.50 there are hour waits here in town. Have a good one.

Something else to consider is that Ethanol, the great hope for America's energy needs, is trading at more than $3.50 a gallon right now which means it would be even higher for fuel if were to switch to ethanol.

Around my regions, areas that use the so called "reformulated" gas that is 10% ethanol you pay substantially more it.

It is funny about bottle water. We have an excellent source of water here in our little Vermont town. I don't even have a water meter on my house. My water tax is about $120. per year.

Our town sells water to a bottling company. The same stuff that comes out of my tap.

I'll send you some for free if you pay the freight. :D

Iguana Don:
Bausch & Lomb Moisture Eyes (artifical tears)

$8.00 for 1 oz = $1056.00 per gallon!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Little secret from the bio labs - eye drops are pretty much just saline - 9g table salt into 1L water. The eye drop companies like to add trace amounts of stuff to fancy things up, but the part that actually does the work is the water & salt.

I don't have exact values at hand, but I'd bet that using tap water (boiled to get rid of chlorine) you'd be looking at ~$0.02 per liter, including the electricity/gas you used to boil the water...

Bryan

So what you're saying Dee... is that after we run out of oil my car is going to be made to run on Evian so I can really start to pay through the nose?

Good thread, good thread!

I have to mention a documentary that I saw reviewed on Ebert & Roeper last Sunday called "Who Killed The Electric Car?"

I got the real impression that the nuts of the movie was that technological advancements in the field of electrically powered cars was threatening both the oil industries and the auto manufacturers to the point that the rollout of a realistic electric car was made extinct, that history was, in effect, altered to preserve the oil/gas-motor/automotive industries.

Hope the movie becomes very popular. Anybody seen it?

Sorry, but stories of the evil oil monopoly go back to the 1950's and the so-called "100 MPG carburetor."

What killed the electric car? Convenience. After decades of being able to drive between LA and San Francisco on a single tank of gas, most motorists simply are not willing to put up with 3-8 hour recharges simply for 100 miles worth of range, if that.

Hybrids solve this problem by constantly recharging the batteries (albeit with a gasoline motor), and that's why they're popular instead of all-electric vehicles. Amazing when you consider that electric vehicles have been around for decades in the form of golf carts and similar vehicles, whereas hybrids have had a much shorter development time.

If the "evil oil monopoly" story were true, we wouldn't have hybrids either. Or the few electric powered cars that made it to market like the GM EV-1.

Well, Ron Dawg you may be right. But I haven't seen the film yet and I firmly believe in "Evil Empires" of all types.

Also, the cars I've most recently heard about had a 200 mile range on a four hour charge. Not a great road tripper but excellent for commuting in metro LA I would think.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom