Thinking about fantasy island

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Guys, the wifey and I are planning FI in December. We're still in the rookie camp and don't have all of our own equipment. We're not anal about using rentals as long as they are well maintained and safe. We will be renting BC's, regs, tanks and weights. Should we be at all concerned with the reliability?
We get the date nailed down(thinking 12/12 to 12/19) we'll see if any of you are going at that time.

Thanks

greatwhitepoke: I agree with the general information that RTB has given and it's good advice to personally check and inspect whatever rental gear is furnished to you making sure it's in good condition and working order. From a personal standpoint even though we don"t use rental gear at Fantasy Island, bringing our own gear, we do know they keep a well stocked dive shop with equipment in good working condition and safe to use. If you are going to FI don't worry about o rings, while a leak on a tank o ring is something that happens, they have a supply of o rings on hand and make any necessary repairs immediately and on the spot.

Yes, FI is where we want to stay and they have a great deal right now. We pretty much had our minds made up before reading all the rave rewiews people have given. Can't wait to see it and we'll do our best not to be "bottom bouncers".

I'm considering Fantasy Island in December too. My only hesitation is that it's rainy season. How much does this affect the viz? What is the temp generally like on land, etc.?

We were there and dove Dec. 14-19. Water temperature was 78 to 79 degrees. Best vis was first two days of diving. It was dead calm and sunny....vis at Valley of the Kings was 80', vis following day at Mary's Place was also 80' and second dive at Missing Link was 65'. Only bad vis was the 17th at Coco View Wall and Prince Albert, about 35 feet, but due to tide flow I think with turbidity, not rain. Overall vis averaged 65' or so. We've been to Roatan South side twice in Dec. ----if bad rains on mainland you will get drainage from the rivers that affects vis on the Island but divemasters know which sites to go under those conditions. Now that's not saying all you now what can not break loose, but normally you don't have a serious problem. Land temperature was in the low to mid 80's during daylight and low to mid 70's at night.

I'm considering Fantasy Island in December too. My only hesitation is that it's rainy season. How much does this affect the viz? What is the temp generally like on land, etc.?

You can look here for information about temperature averages here.

Roatan, Honduras Forecast : Weather Underground

We are headed there the day after Christmas for a week. Looks pretty good to me. Just getting out of the winter weather here is a plus for us.

dmoore19
we are looking at that week also are you going to FI ?

dmoore19
we are looking at that week also are you going to FI ?

We will be going to Anthony's Key that week.

Just noticed FI 2 for 1 ends the week before so will still be undecided

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom