Thinking about Roatan for Next Year - Where to Stay?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

paradise

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Just got back from Cozumel and I've been having major diving withdrawal so I HAVE to plan for next year's trip. I read through a lot of travel reports for FI and love the thought of seeing spider monkeys up close and personal but not really looking forward to the smell of poop wafting in the air and family oriented resort (solo traveler here). I'm a female traveler and would love to meet up with others who are just as easy to get along with. I'm all for budget traveling. As long as there's a comfy bed w/ good AC and clean restroom, I'm good to go as far as accommodations are concerned. I've been to Costa Rica so I have a feeling I know what to expect as far as bugs and geckos go. :D

Diving - I only have 31 dives under my belt and would like to dive in more calm waters. If it's anything like the cool drift diving I did in Cozumel, I can definitely handle that!

Also, does anyone know how to get the resort prices at FIBR or CCV? I googled FIBR, searched Trip Advisor and searched this board for its pricing schedule but never got anywhere. Do I have to correspond through a travel agency? If so, where?

In the long run, I think the overall cost for accommodations and diving will determine where to stay. I loved Scuba Club Cozumel if that helps.

OOOOh and when is the best time of the year to go as far as weather is concerned? When is the non-rainy season?

Thanks!

Official Rates page for CoCo View Resort, roatan,
http://www.fantasyislanddiveresort.com/dive-and-beach-packages-2010

The first rainy season is during June and July. The winter rainy season is from October to Februrary. Strong winds can accompany the rain and cooler weather, making a jacket necessary at times during the rainy season.
Although it rained pretty good 3/7 days when we were there in early May. But not for long, a couple hours early in the morning. Never affected our plans.

Last edited:
Welcome to SB. Tne only thing I can figure is that you are depending upon the abbreviations everyone used for all the resorts. You can find the prices of every resort on Roatan by simply searching google or any other search engine and then going to the web site of the particular resort. If nothing else, search "roatan diving" and you'll get more hits than you know what to do with.
Coco View
Fantasy Island Beach Resort
Bay Islands Beach Resort
Reef House
Anthony's Key
and many many more
These are the most widely visited all inclusives like Scuba Club but there are more to be sure. Prices vary a bit but expect $700 to $1500 per person (2 to a room) a week for most all inclusives on Roatan. That will include a room, at least 3 dives a day and all your food.

Travel agents are great but not at all necessary. Some specialize in Roatan and are easily located via a google search.

Roatan is easy to get to and you'll likely stay put at your resort or catch a cab if you want to get around.

West End is a funky little area with lots of places to stay, lots of restaurants, lots of dive shops, lots of bars. Most of the all inclusives are away from this area and require a cab ride to get there. Fun place to visit on a none diving day.

Once you've narrowed it down a bit you can search here or elsewhere for reviews of that particular place. Be prepared however to get a wide range of opinions. There are good and bad experiences for every resort. Some people only have experience with one resort while others may have experience with 3 or 4 or more. Frankly, I don't think you can go wrong with those I listed and many others.

It can rain anytime. Sometimes it rains every day for a week and sometimes it goes for a month without a drop. Hopefully your under water so it doesn't really make much difference. The rains seldom last for more than an hour or two.

There is little to no current on most of the dives in Roatan so drift diving won't be a factor. Diving is extremely easy and around Roatan.

Consider Utila also. It's slightly harder to get too but it's a fun little island with oustanding diving too. It's really easy to find lots of new diver friends there even if you travel alone. Just like Roatan, it's part of the Bay Islands.

Have fun whatever choice you make.

It can rain anytime. Sometimes it rains every day for a week and sometimes it goes for a month without a drop. Hopefully your under water so it doesn't really make much difference. The rains seldom last for more than an hour or two.

Maybe Chuck has stayed on a different Roatan than I am used to. Sure, anything can happen but historically The wettest months are November and December with rains OFTEN lasting all day and while the past two weeks have been quite nice with sacttered days or nights of rain, it has been raining pretty constant for two days which is great for the plants and cistern but diving quality is reduced. Many figure the rainy season to generally be Oct-Feb. Sure, your underwater and wet so getting wet from the rain is not an issue but certainly runoff from the rains and lack of sunlight penetration can put a damper:D on a day of diving, along with the wet and for some, chilly boat ride. July/august generally see some rains as well but they are more the afternoon, evening type of storms not lasting long.

This should give a pretty good idea as to when the rainy season is.
http://www.wunderground.com/

I agree with pretty much what everyone else has said....you might like the west end better since you will be traveling alone...pricing may be more economical for you...

CCV has a roomate plan...just let them know you are traveling alone and want to be on the roomate plan....that way you won't have to pay the single supplement charge....a good agent for Roatan is Roatan Charters Roatan Charter presents Honduras and Belize.: adventure and scuba travel in Central America. they can give you good information about places on Roatan and help you find the best rate for your stay :)

Its sounds like you would be much more comfortable in or near West End. West End is a town and thats where a lot of the dive shops, restaurants, bars, etc. are as well as tons of budget accomodations. It also caters to the "youger" divers as thats where the nightlife is as well. Check out Posada Arco Iris - Lodgings as well as some of the dive shops that offer rooms Roatan Diving, Bay Islands, Honduras | Scuba Diving, PADI, Dive Sites | West End Divers. Coconut Tree Divers - PADI 5-Star IDC Dive Resort on Roatan, Honduras - scuba diving courses, divemaster internships, instructor development, tec diving, and more! You can get some amazing deals and you will be happier hanging out with your own crowd.

I believe Fantassy island used to have a "singles week", with no kids, only single divers, etc... I think it was in september every year. Maybe worth a look? Maybe not what you want... It's up to you! FI is the best deal for lots of diving on Roatan. But definetly not the only interesting option!:coffee:

Maybe Chuck has stayed on a different Roatan than I am used to. Sure, anything can happen but historically The wettest months are November and December with rains OFTEN lasting all day and while the past two weeks have been quite nice with sacttered days or nights of rain, it has been raining pretty constant for two days which is great for the plants and cistern but diving quality is reduced. Many figure the rainy season to generally be Oct-Feb. Sure, your underwater and wet so getting wet from the rain is not an issue but certainly runoff from the rains and lack of sunlight penetration can put a damper:D on a day of diving, along with the wet and for some, chilly boat ride. July/august generally see some rains as well but they are more the afternoon, evening type of storms not lasting long.

This should give a pretty good idea as to when the rainy season is.
http://www.wunderground.com/

Sounds lot like what I said. Certainly you gave Nov and Dec as the most probably months for rain and I agree totally. But you also indicated in hadn't rained for 2 weeks. I think it's now the middle of Dec so I guess it varies somewhat. Then it rained for 2 days straight. I think that is similar to what I said.

Roatan is nothing like some tropical areas where you are almost guaranteed rain for days or even weeks on end at certain times of the year. It is much more varied. I saw it rain for 3 days once in November but I dove every day. I saw no or very little rain for a couple months at a time. I think that's what I said and it seems like you agree according to your last sentence. I fail to see why you would think I stayed on a different Roatan. We both said the same thing. Very strange.

While rain does sometimes cause run off in certain areas, there are other dive sites that are seldom effected. Some of my best dives have been on Roatan after a heavy rain. Sometimes the water becomes like glass after these rains allowing good penetration of the sun and excellent visibility. A good dive operation will know where to go regardless of the conditions.

Sounds lot like what I said. Certainly you gave Nov and Dec as the most probably months for rain and I agree totally. But you also indicated in hadn't rained for 2 weeks. I think it's now the middle of Dec so I guess it varies somewhat. Then it rained for 2 days straight. I think that is similar to what I said.
Actually Chuck, its really nothing like you said. You told us rains seldom last more than an hour or two which in the winter is simply not correct, I have been here for months over the last 6 winters and can tell you the weather has been pretty consistant with lots of rain and often lasting days. I also NEVER said it had not rained for two weeks, I said weather had been nice with scattered rains during the days or nights. The last two Novembers and decembers had more days with rain than without and often lasted all day or at least was very overcast. Then you suggested the rains should not be an issue while under water while I pointed out the lack of sunlight penetration, runoff and turbidity in the water will reduce diving quality , Sure your wet anyway but if you only look to get wet then just hop in a pool, Most, not all, but most divers rank quality of dives based a lot on visibility.
I am not sure why you figure you said basically the same thing I did but as long as you agree with me in your own little way then thats cool.

I believe Fantassy island used to have a "singles week", with no kids, only single divers, etc... I think it was in september every year. Maybe worth a look? Maybe not what you want... It's up to you! FI is the best deal for lots of diving on Roatan. But definetly not the only interesting option!:coffee:

I'll have to look into that option as well. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom