thinking about trying scuba.... but..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FIXXERVI6

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm not a very strong swimmer and have a very difficult time of floating, many people have told me many things about the hole floating thing, I beleive it is because of my density, I sport many hobbies such as biking, climbing, camping, caving, you name it, it keeps me pretty lean, I think this might have something to do with my difficulty in floating, not that I cant, I can, its just that the only thing that manages to stay above water is my nose :confused:

I can swim, it just tires me very quickly even tho I can excel at the rest of my activitys, I have never dived but I LOVE to snorkal, it fascinates me to no end. I have a fear of water over my head, but as soon as I put on a mask and snorkal the fear is gone (forgive my spelling, :rolleyes: please), I think it is due to the fact that I can come to the surface for air very easily without struggling to keep my head above water, and I'm comfortable with that. I know I can not swim 225 yards without the aid of anyting like fins and stuff, give me a mask and snorkal, no problem... even at full rest with my lungs full of air, my body floats just below the surface, any ideas there?

So my question is, what do you all think? stay away from scuba or is it ok? I was thinking about buying the gear, learning the basics in a pool with someone that knows their ropes then taking a class, I don't know jack about this stuff so any input would be welcomed. From my snorkaling I already know I'd fall in love with it quickly, so investment for the gear is not an issue..

I sink unweighted in a pool (if I exhale), and took my open water 3 or 4 weeks ago.

I swim adequately, but loath treading water, I dreaded doing the 10 minute float (which we did in our 3rd pool session), but in the end it turned out to be much easier than I had thought. I did most of the float as a "dead mans float" lay on your back head back and keep your lungs full.

If your unsure as to your swimming abilities, take a swimming class first. To be good at swimming you have to swim regularly, you can be in great cardiovascular shape, run regularly and still find swimming 200 yards incredibly hard work, reguardless of your body type, it's just a totally different form of exercise.

I second the suggestion of taking a swimming class if you are unsure of your swimming abilities. If it's just a matter of not being conditioned, then work swimming into your work out activities. As your swimming abilities and/or conditioning becomes better, you will correspondingly become more confident in the water.

Some people are just less buoyant than others - I believe it's a matter of relaxing and finding what works for you. Not everyone can lay flat on the water while floating - but I'm sure there are instructors lurking around that can give you more concrete tips.

As far as trying out scuba gear in the pool, other than mask, snorkel, fins - I wouldn't be trying anything out (like regulator, BC)unless you're with an instructor.

If you love snorkeling, you'll definitely love diving! You don't have to be an Olympic caliber swimmer to dive, but I would at least work on conditioning until you are comfortable.

I was where you are with the swimming. I could float, but I had a difficult time swimming laps in the pool.

Sign up for a swim class .... I got a private one from my local YMCA for about $100. Well worth the money!!! Not only did it give me plenty of pool practice, it helped me get more relaxed in the water and thereby better equipped to handle abnormal situations .... water up the nose, etc.

Part way through the swim class you'll begin to see whether you feel comfortable enough to take the next steps. Is scuba diving for you .... only you can answer that question. The pool time will help you figure that out.

- Nico

By the way, part of floating is body type and part of it is technique. With an instructor watching and providing feedback, I have no doubt you will improve your ability to float. Worst case, build up your muscles and tread water. In my class I ended up alternating between back float and treading water.

with the recommendations about the swimming lessons. In your case you will probably adapt pretty quickly to swimming from a fitness perspective due to your other activities. Swimming is not an energy efficient way for humans to move through the water. Only 3% of the energy expended by a world class competition swimmer is turned into forward motion.

The swim you would need to do is not timed and does not require any specific stroke. The key is to go slow and easy.

You may want to consider taking a discover scuba class to see if scuba is for you.

The float thing also allows you to tread water which may not be too hard for you since your legs are in good condition.

Go for it. If you like schnorkelling you'll like diving and there's no reason why you can't get your swimming skills up to scratch.

Best of luck

cool, thanks for the input, I'll work in swimming and when I feel stronger in da water I'll go for it!

I went snorkeling in April 2001 for the 1st time. Never been in the ocean before, never been in water I couldn't stand in, and was a self-proclaimed non-swimmer.

I went in anyway, hyperventilated, swallowed salt water, felt like I was gonna drown, yadda yadda yadda....got a couple glimpses of coral and the fish, but was more pre-occupied with my safety than enjoying the experience. Never thought I would even attempt to snorkel again.

This Saturday I start my AOW training. Although, I still think I am a weak swimmer and could definetly use some lessons, I am becoming more and more comfortable with the water everytime I go out. Once you learn about bouyancy and your body your mind should be at ease..a little anyway. With the fins on you feel like a totally different person with swimming ability. I did my swimming test with mask, fins, and snorkel on...it added to the length of the swim, but I was more comfortable.

If you have access to a pool, go to the shallow end, grab the mask and snorkel and practice breathing through the snorkel with your mask off. If you know the proper way to clear your mask of water, do that too. Take your mask off and put it back on underwater. Have a buddy hold your snorkel in place while you do this so you can concentrate on your skills. Swim with the mask off and the snorkel in your mouth.

If you feel somewhat comfortable doing these things then you can get your certification. Even if your not, then practice until you are....I made my girlfriend practice these things with me in my 4ft pool...she ended up thanking me several times in the OW class. It really does help and if you have problems in the pool there is less stress than having an instructor or other strangers there.

Good luck and go for it.

Floating can be corrected with the help of the BCD. BCD is acting like a lifevest, keeping you on surface when fully inflated.
PADI has a Discovery Scuba program that allows you to try it out and then, if you feel like, to get your OW certification. I think your discovery scuba counts for OW certification program. Go there and see how you get along with it.
As far as swimming is concerned it is also a question of skill beside fitness. Lack of fitness can be sometimes balanced by skill, you can eliminate unnecessary movements that can lead to fatigue, you learn how to get the best result with the minimum effort.
Fear can be overcame by knowledge, awarness and confidence that came along with practice, it is normal, the experienced you are better is. Don't wory, everybody was a novice once.
Moreover it is a question of knowing your own limits, as long as you keep it within its fine. I think this works even for the strongest and most prepared of us.
So go for it.
Good luck.
My advice is go for it.

I am the opposite to you, being naturally positively buoyant and use weights to compensate even without a suit. Everybody is different. I recommend swimming for your safety and health. you do need to complete a swim as part of your OW but maybe a small neoprene vest will help you achieve the buoyancy you want. Surfers use them to keep warm. They shouldn't be too expensive.in fact many dive shops dabble in surfing gear. I would recommend you go to one and ask all the question you have.
The main thing though is that snorkelling and scuba are different to all other types of exercise. There is a term in instructing that I use which is called being "dive fit". Basically, the more you snorkel, the better you will be in the water. I would say practice both and maybe even ask your local dive shop for a "Discover Scuba experience" where you will get a basic run down on scuba and be under the guidance of an instructor who will dive with you in a secure location and you can see if you want to take it any further. The main thing is to not over-anticipate everything that can go wrong. We all have weak points when we start out and the more you practice, the better you get. I don't remember seeing anyone starting out getting everything right the first time, but as adults we always feel that we should have it together and we don't. The magic word here is FUN !!!!! Whatever you do, get out there to enjoy yourself.
Cheers Big Ears,
The Thunder from Down Under,
The Gasman

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom