thinking about trying scuba.... but..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I do not know how to swim well. I can swim across the pool top several times, but I can only do that for so long. Just 2 months ago I taught myself how to snorkle to the deep end of the pool, because I had never swam underwater before.

I've been OW Certified since last month, with only 5 dives under my belt at this time. While scuba diving I have no problem swimming around and feeling very comfortable.

A swimming class would be the best (I'm actually looking in to taking one soon), but if you don't want to, just practice in the pool as often as you can. It helped me a lot.

"Cheers Big Ears,
The Thunder from Down Under,
The Gasman"

Gasman, is that really you? Welcome back! Havent seen you around for a while.

No, Your not mistaken, it is really me. I have been a little ingognito due to my computerless state which I am currently trying to rectify. Overseas travel and my IDC and specialty instructor training in Tonga and work have kept me busy and broke so I couldn't afford to get my motherboard replaced. I have a new CPU on the way and will hopefully be set up again at home in the next month. How are things in the smoggy state?
Cheers Big Ears,
There can be only one,
The Gasman

but love to dive! Under 3% body fat here, so even in salt water, I go down. With scuba gear, properly weighted, you will end up being positively bouyant with some air in your BC, negative without. So everyone is in the same boat, with their weights. Since you are not strongly positive by yourself, you will carry less weight than others, so dropping your weight belt in a surface emergency won't float you as high as others.

You may never need it, but I would recommend a basic survival swimming course. It will do wonders for reducing your stress on the surface. I still hate being on the surface, even with years of small-boat and windsurfer sailing experience, but as soon as I'm a foot down, it is another world.

HAVE FUN!!!

...and make sure you take all the time you need to get comfortable. Your instructors should understand. I spent nearly a whole afternoon swearing at surface snorkeling, until I was completely comfortable with it. Time well spent...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom