thinking going to commercial diving academy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kwd1253

New
Reaction score
thinking going to commercial diving academy my x wanted do this (bless her soul). i have always thought about doing diving as a living. now i got strong motivation now to do it. but how long or how many hrs does it take get you masters in commercial diving and how do i go about getting it. any info would help me

Go to what it costs.com and search for commercial diving, they have an article up that gives an overview of commercial diver training and the costs associated with it.

I read this sometime ago, don't know how helpful it will be but hope you can gain something from it.

P.S I'd post the URL but the board prohibits me from posting URLs because my post count is still low.

I went to the College of Oceaneering in San Diego. I had two of the greatest and most proficient instructors imaginable. You need to take some time and have a serious inward thought about if it is the profession for you. Zero visibility, going inside of large dark pipelines and being cold and wet test your resolve. At orientation we had 35 students and at graduation we had 12. I watched almost half of my class drop when we got in the water. When you take away someone's air when they are underwater they find out real fast that it is not the profession for them.

Be sure to do your homework. There are several very good schools for this as well. Check around and see what seems to be the right "fit" for you.

The people at the Ocean Corp in Houston were kind enough to spend some time with me some years back and really give me the info I needed. In my case the outcome was that the job wasn't for me and working in the recreational side of diving was more my future.

I've had friends graduate from both the Ocean Corp here in S. Cal as well as from DIT in Seattle and many of them are still actively working in the field. Those who are not have definately retained a strong sense of accomplishment that has helped them in other things they have tackled in life.

This isn't going to make me popular, but I never was popular anyway. But here it goes:

Right now, there's about 2300 Commercial Divers with years of experience out of work. You are going to spend 20k+ and then have a hard time finding a good job. But that could all change with a good hurricane season.

I went to Diver's Academy, when the cost was only 7200.00. If I had it to do all over again, I would have went to the community college in Louisanna for half that price. And yes, it's still available. I was a freelance diver for the first 5 or 6 years after I went to dive school. No one cared which school I went to. They knew in the first day if I was a hard worker or not, and they (commercial dive companies) were going to train me "the right way" anyway.

IMO, it's alot of money, and you'll have a hard time finding employment
If you are dead set on going, go the cheapest route possible, you'll thank me next year.
pm me if you want to talk more about it.

Be sure to do your homework. There are several very good schools for this as well. Check around and see what seems to be the right "fit" for you.

The people at the Ocean Corp in Houston were kind enough to spend some time with me some years back and really give me the info I needed. In my case the outcome was that the job wasn't for me and working in the recreational side of diving was more my future.

I've had friends graduate from both the Ocean Corp here in S. Cal as well as from DIT in Seattle and many of them are still actively working in the field. Those who are not have definately retained a strong sense of accomplishment that has helped them in other things they have tackled in life.

part of that got omitted by me somehow. That's supposed to be Ocean Corp in HOUSTON and the College of Oceaneering here in S. Cal. Wow...

I gota lifelong friend who is a pro commercial diver. What great (sometimes scary) stories lol. His academy cost him 10g's but that was awhile ago. I've watched him for years. The work can be inconsistant, but often pays well. Sometimes he's working on Nuclear Intake applications (where they suck in the cool water they need) and other times he is cleaning the bottom of boats. He has almost bought the farm a few times and has witnessed partners getting sucked over dams and stuff, but he is still doin fine...his health has suffered some and had had some very near misses, sometimes his fault (usually,.. he is very overconfident because the guy has pretty much got gills from growin up on a lake, so he is not as careful as someone less confident) sometimes his tender's fault (the guy accidently kicking your compressor hose line unhooked who is supposed to be watchin your surface supply :). Anyway, if you think we can answer any questions let us know, though he is up in Alaska and is hard to get ahold of. Just thought I'd throw in 2 cents...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom