Thinking of heading to the Bahamas in January seeking advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aikiguy

Contributor
Reaction score
On the blue parts, not the brown or green parts.
# of dives
50 - 99
We have the use of a friends 50 foot sailboat in January when they are not going to be using it.

We want to go diving, and have a good time. Mostly diving=having a good time for us.

Interested in local knowledge for the trip.

The boat does not have a dive compressor (I know right...) so we would have to rent tanks and get refills. Will shops on island b fill the tanks from shop on island A? Etc.

Are there good dive sites that are within fast inflatable dingy range from where we anchor the big boat? Any local knowledge ideas and or thoughts on where is the best place to dive?

Which Island or Island group is the best for diving?
Thanks,
Guy
:)

I am no expert and do not have experience to recommend dive sites. I did take a trip to Great Exuma this summer, and researched dive shops for that trip.

1. DiveExuma that was really nice and accommodating independent shop. It is in Georgetown right on the dock, so you could boat in for air refills there, and also potentially walk to the grocery store for food (which will be expensive). The lady/owner (Tamara) who works the front desk was very responsive and would probably be a great resource for dive sites and advice. If you are going to be around Great Exuma I would really encourage you to email her.

2. The sandals dive shop is at the northern end of the island. The dive shop is in a very nice marina, and so again it would be easy to boat right up to the dock. I am not sure if they would refill for you or not. They are friendly but exist to cater to Sandals guests. There is nothing else in that area within walking distance

3. I read about a dive shop at Staniel Cay, near the famous Staniel Cay yacht club, but I cannot confirm that it exists.

I am sure you could get refills in the Nassau area, but I have no experience. The issue with the bahamas is that there are tons of islands and therefore tons of options. Not sure if there are shops on Cat Island, Long Island, etc. or if you are planning to go that far south.

No shops on Long Island but you can rent tanks from Stella Maris Resort. I think they are $15. There are numerous nice coral heads about 15 minutes by boat from the marina but I'm not sure where you can anchor. I doubt the marina can accommodate that size boat and the waters around the northwest side can get very shallow.

You might want to stick with the Abacos and just rent tanks from the various shops on the mainland and some of the cays. Weather might be an issue though. We had a cold front come in when I was travelling from Exuma to Long Island on Nov 24th and had 25mph wind gusts which made it sweater weather and not so fun boat rides!

This is not all of them since I know of a couple others not on this list but here's some options. Bahamas Government Portal - BDA Members

I wouldn't be expecting fills on Nassau exactly either. Coves is pretty much their own self contained little world - Bahama Divers might - they're on the north side. I don't think Blackbeards would fill your tanks but IDK. Both are in a marina on the channel between New Providence and Paradise Island slightly east of town.

And those are all your options on Nassau...there's one other operator that does shore dives off a beach via a Zodiac but I can't remember the name.

In Grand Bahamas Sunn Odyssey Divers will rent tanks and give you some dive sites information. 242-373-4014 .It's the only shop that will rent tanks on the island.

Great information guys! Thanks,

What are the don't miss dive sites? Anything that is wonderful, and I shouldn't miss.

There is the possibility of one of our crew needing to get certified when we are there, any instructor recommendations?

Thanks,
Guy

Back
Top Bottom