"THIRTEEN LIVES" MOVIE REVIEW

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes but I thought they handled that very well. And . . . SPOILER ALERT FOR DIVEPROKOKO . . . I thought cinematically (for those who don't know I'm an actor and SAG/AFTRA member) they way they handled him running out of air was very well done. Listen to the breathing sounds as he gets lower and lower on air. My only criticism would be that he was awfully calm in that sequence, almost accepting of his fate. I would have thought IRL there'd be more of a frantic dash to try to find an air pocket once you realize what's going on.
Another "Spoiler Alert". I watched it last night. That OOA sequence was tough viewing. I'm guessing that the decision not to portray him as "panicked" was done out of respect for his memory. Does anyone know for sure that he was diving with the classic secondary reg config or was it just portrayed that way?

Personally I can never understand why make a movie for a current event that a documentary will handle better? I would much rather hear/see some real reports/footage, nothing conveys the emotions of an event like seeing those who lived through it relive it. I imagine there is a tonne of relevant content for a documentary but hey thats just me. Hope they donate the proceeds to a worthy cause and dont cash in on the unfortunate incident. The below book was an excellent read and is a good window into the mindset of the rescuers.

1659989942474.png

Has anyone else thought about what something like this would be like in the USA? My family was discussing it last night and we were pretty much all in agreement that in the US all of the boys would have died before all of the red tape would have been completed. Most of us are in the medical or emergency services for reference.

RIP

Yes but I thought they handled that very well. And . . . SPOILER ALERT FOR DIVEPROKOKO . . . I thought cinematically (for those who don't know I'm an actor and SAG/AFTRA member) they way they handled him running out of air was very well done. Listen to the breathing sounds as he gets lower and lower on air. My only criticism would be that he was awfully calm in that sequence, almost accepting of his fate. I would have thought IRL there'd be more of a frantic dash to try to find an air pocket once you realize what's going on.
Do we know that this is what happened with his reg getting trapped in a crevice - or is this just a guess? I also thought he appeared accepted his fate, never panicked - but I think this was just the directors not wanting to make the Thai Seals look any worse than they already did. The least they could do was offer him a hero's death I guess.

Just saw the movie and i thought it was well done. One question though. They were often shown using the cyclon second stsge. Curious if that was reg of choice (i am biased been diving it for 30+ years). Was it for the film with side exhaust or actual gear used

Just saw the movie and i thought it was well done. One question though. They were often shown using the cyclon second stsge. Curious if that was reg of choice (i am biased been diving it for 30+ years). Was it for the film with side exhaust or actual gear used
It's the reg that they use. Apparently a lot of UK cave divers prefer it. If you have other questions or are just more interested I'd recommend Rick Stanton's book, "The Aquanaunt"

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom