This is my story

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fishkiller

Contributor
Reaction score
Mesa Arizona, The all beach no ocean state.
# of dives
100 - 199
Ok for those of you who want to read and understand

On March 23rd I stopped by the dive shop to confirm Saturday’s certification dive out at the lake. It seems that there wasn’t an instructor available to take me, so Mike suggested that I swim in with his class on Sunday to just hang out and blow bubbles. My very first thoughts of diving, back in November were to be certified by March 25th, but life happens. I spent 7.5 hours of the best fun that I had, had in many days. There were 12 students in the pool class with 2 DM’s. It was nice to skip the no mask breath being number 13 has advantages. That class was cool by the end of the night I was like I was part of the family. I even did the no mask swim. I left on a scuba high and slept like a baby that night.
On Monday night I had a holiday from work, on my way to dinner,I went to the shop to drop off the BC. I arrived at the shop right when a dive trip briefing was being held. I am going to San Carlos Mexico in June, so put my head in the room to listen in. Mike was talking about the trip for March 30 through the first of April. There were five divers going to get their OW, 1 junior OW (Chelsea) and one AOW (Chris), three people were from Sunday's class. Since PADI rules limit the cert. dives to 4 students in JrOW, there was going to be an odd person out. Chris didn’t know I wasn’t certified yet and mentioned how he could dive with me while his daughter Chelsea was being certified, Mike goes he’s not certified yet he is just think about going this trip. Then a couple of people said, “ Hey why don’t you come with us?”
I called my boss to ask for Thursday night off, he said yes to a half night. I called my son and when Alex said he didn’t want to go to Mexico his mother said it would be OK for him to stay another weekend with her.
I then told Mike I would be in Thursday to pick up my BC and another wetsuit, and pay for the trip. Thursday on my way to work stopped by the shop, and met Ashley another student from the class that decided to go. Way cool there were lots of people I knew going.
Friday morning I’m all packed up with brand new wheeled dive gear bag waiting at the shop at 3:45 am by 4:00 Mike, Ashley, Matt, and the Schultz family were there. Mike said that the others were going to fly down and save seven hours of driving. The new plan for the dive trip was the four of us Chelsea, Matt, Ashley, and myself, were going to do three shore dives that night and do the final certification dive Saturday off the boat, after that who cares we would be C-card holders.
After unpacking in the hotel room, I changed and went down to the sandy shore to geared up for the first of the dives.

Someone mentioned how the wind had been blowing all week so the water was all stirred up, the visibility was maybe 5 feet. “Hell I could get better vis. at the lake and the water taste better” was my comment.

After having trouble clearing my ear,again!! down I went to swim arm in arm 20 feet for 20 minutes. My mask kept flooding and the water was stinging my eyes but I said I’m here just 3 more dives to go. It was funny when Mike gave me the OK, partial flood the mask sign I gave him the finger and just cleared the mask. By the end of the three dives I was giving the mask the finger and talking to myself. I was so glad that I just had one more dive then I could go back to fishing.

there's this story about a man that was hitting his head against a brick wall, when asked why? the man replied "because it feels so good when I stop."

When Chris said he was going to the dive shop to get the sand out of Chelsea’s BC I tagged along and signed up for a fishing charter for Sunday.

At the marina we met a group of divers from Tucson, who owned the 46’ dive boat, built for 32 divers, the 17 of us would have rough it. On the trip out to San Pedro Island we went through a pod of dolphins. I took a cool photo of dolphins jumping. At the Island we had our dive briefing. I just wanted to do my last three skills, say the hell with this, and go fishing.
Mike had to catch Chelsea up, she missed dive three. That's when Matt and Ashley said we should do a dive together, without Mike. I couldn’t go fishing without a fishing pole that was at the hotel.
Well time to get into the water second to last time three skills to go. With 73degree water and a good 40’ vis. Things were different I didn’t have to make everyone wait while I cleared my mask, I could just catch up.
The first skill, was the full mask remove and replace, dang I could see the same without the mask, my eyes were so sore anyway. Second skill fin pivot with oral inflation of BC, no problem,I did a little dance. The Final skill compass swim, 100 feet out and back. Great! I thought just keep the black fuzzy arrow between the two black fuzzy things. After swimming a few yards, Chelsea gave me the look over there, someone dropped a mask and snorkel. I Swam to it picked it up thinking someone from the boat dropped it, held on to it as I caught back up with the rest of the group. Skill three was done and I did a really big dance. I think when I yelled YEAH!!! It scared the sea lions away. At the boat I took off my weights handed them up, took off my BC, handed that up. Thought I would push the tank and BC up to give the guy a hand. Well the crewman knew just how high to lift the tank to clear the boat, a distance that didn’t include my right ring finger. (yes smashed the finger really good I did.) I was first in line for Mike to sign me OFF.

On the trip to the other dive spot I had a chance to look at the now inherited mask, with all its slime. We all changed tanks and got ready for the next dive, my last one so I took my camera; FUJI makes a disposable rated to 17’.
When the ladders were dropped, I asked if it was OK to get in the water. The DM said yes so off I went. I dropped down to 15’ for a couple of minutes, took pictures of the sea lions, came back up. EVERYONE was staring at me, Mike later told me people asked what’s he doing diving solo? While he just shook his head.
I swam over to the boat and handed Chris’s wife, a non-diver, the only person who would come near me, the camera.

When Matt and Ashley entered the water I said “ I’ll follow you until my air runs out”, so down we went. Everytime I would stop to clear my mask, my OCTO would be loose, and I would re-attach it then swim on. After the third time I asked Matt if he was OK Ashley was Ok. So I found that if I held my head in such a manner I could clearly see my OCTO being pulled loose by a sea lion. I knew when my air reached 1000-psi time was up I had to go, on the surface Matt and Ashley said I used my air way to quickly, well mask clearing all the time and swimming to catch up will do that.

On the boat Chris asked if we could dive together being how we both had the same DC, AERIS 500AI. I said I’ll think about it while I cleaned up the mask I found. A Ocean Master with purge valve, green highlights, (not organic), and –2.0 lenses. Man this was a nice mask with a prescription close to my own, My MARES ESA sure was going to be returned. I used soap and cleaned that mask up enough that I wanted to wear it. Before Chris and I dove down I said,”it can’t be any worse than what I had been wearing” let’s get this over with. At 40 feet Chris’s alarm stared going off, he had set it for Chelsea’s limit,at 60 feet my DC went off we stopped.

Then it hit me like the words from my brother “the difference between fuzzy AM radio and stereo HI-FI THX Dolby surround sound.”

I hadn’t cleared my mask.
I did a barrel roll in front of the sea lion.
I did a back flip and summer-salt.
I did an upside down hover.
AH AH AH
NO WATER ON FACE
My mind raced.
I saw clearly.
I saw a cool Urchin skeleton and picked it up.
I NOW knew what it was like to be a diver.
I wasn’t going fishing.
I was looking at a giant green moray eel,gobe fish,spotted bass, a leather bass, still more king angelfish
Shrimp living in holes.
Was that Bole’s law about compression of air and depth?
Aahh I need more air.
Must do safety stop.
Ahh time tick faster.
Must get to boat change tank, dive! dive! dive!

Chris on the surface asked if I felt OK? "sure you’re not narked??"

Thank you person who lost mask off Lighthouse point San Pedro Island, SAN CARLOS MEXICO

I’ll leave out the jump off the boat, the back roll, the spotted eel and two fingers, along with the brand new $160 divebag that took a swan dive off the Auto at 80mph on the trip home for some other time.

THANK YOU
MOM

FishKiller....It sounds you've gone :loopy:

I'm glad you finally got your C Card and enjoy diving alot more now. The low visibility dives, you will run into those every once in awhile but don't let it discourage you in not diving anymore....As you see, things do get better. Great story and hope to hear more......OH don't dive solo :nono: , but I'm sure you know that now.

Dive Safe and Welcome to the wonderful world of Diving!

Aardal

:peace:

...that spent the first couple of dives clearing the mask, catching up, and using too much air! :grrr:

I'm also glad I'm not the only one that thinks diving is absolutely great when you're not clearing the mask, catching up, and using too much air! :)

Congrats Fishkiller!

dmentia

Fish,
Congrats guy. Glad you made it! Now go have some coconut ice cream and pour the Kaluah on top.
:sunny:

I found out that my OLD mask has a crack in the lense. The wheeled dive bag is now a mummy bag, from all the bandages.
I've paid for my AOW.

Been Crazy now going normal.

Killer -- you are too funny. Well I'm glad you enjoyed your self (eventually)

See you below the waves....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom