This is why cage diving with sharks is bad!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Erm, I'm also not sure how much faith I'd put in an academic paper where even the title is wrong.

"South Africa’s White Shark cage-diving industry - is their cause for concern?"

They mean 'is there cause for concern". No biggie but doesn't say a lot for the editing or review process which would make me question everything else in it.

Good catch...:rofl3:..Some academic advisor somewhere is about to get pummeled because you pointed that out :D.

This is about as simple as it gets. There are two main kinds of shark dives. Baited and Unbaited.

If you want to see sharks in their natural environment, there are plenty of places you can go. These are unbaited dives. I saw plenty of sharks up and close and personal for instance on the wreck of the Spar off North Carolina. The ecological impact of this is minimal.

A baited dive attracts sharks to a location so that people can interact with them. There is an ecological impact of some extent that is hard to measure with a slide rule. Jim Abernathy's cageless endangerment dives for instance are in this category. With or without a cage, a baited dive is not for the ecologically sensitive diver.

Some of these baited dives are apologized for by people saying that "divers who already love sharks get a new found respect for sharks by diving with them" or some such nonsense.

A documentary filmmaker uses baiting to get the subject close, but every guy with an Ikelite camera seems to think they are Stan Waterman these days. The point being, running trips to a specific beach every week and baiting sharks to it is different than a one time film.

In short, if you claim to be all ecological, you shouldn't be taking part in dive trips where operators bait sharks thus altering their behaviors. The risk is not to you the diver. The risk is to the shark. For instance, somewhere off South Africa, poachers went to the baiting place for tiger sharks and poached them easily.

Leave.... only...... bubbles..... (if you aren't diving rebreather)

Last edited:
I am a So Cal diver but have been to FL and dove with Jim Abernethy. NEVER AGAIN!!!

To be honest, the thought of being in a cage and getting up close & personal with these magnificent animals sounded terribly exciting, and I wanted to do it... until I read the book, "Devil's Teeth" by Susan Casey. The teeth they are referring to are not those of the great white- but of the Farralon Islands in northern CA. This is a true story of the scientists who lived on these uninhabitable islands to study the sharks. Cage diving not only puts the divers at risk, but (dare I say), more importantly, the sharks.

images.jpg

CDNN :: Business As Usual for Notorious Shark Feeding Profiteer

devilsteeth-1.jpg

The Devil's Teeth: A True Story of ... - Google Book Search

heather

images2.jpg
This book is amazing!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom