This Light Rocks!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Halcion 21 Watt HID light is around $1500. This light is more powerful than that and a lot less expensive........So I guess you were joking!

Really? That would suprise me. No offense intended but I'll be "Doubting Thomas" on that. Of course I'm happy to be corrected.

Last edited:
The only thing I can recommend it for you to try it out yourselves. LED's have come a long way and some "experts" feel that the new ones have surpassed HID's. That of course could be a whole other discussion.

I was relating my personal experience with the lights I have owned and dived. Those where light monkey, Halcyon, Titon lights. All excellent lights but for my purposes this small hand-held light puts out a tremendous amount of power, is light, and has a magnetic switch which allows me to have another one as a back up that I can activate at 250+ feet. There and deeper, I lack the hand strength to turn a twist on light on. Not a good thing in a deep cave when having a primary failure.

The team has seen my light on previous Pit dives and was very happy when Dive Rite generously equipped them with it. It has become the team's primary light choice.

Choosing lights is a difficult and confusing decision. My recommendation is to try them out if you can and see them first hand.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

I don't doubt it's a good light, was just surprised to read that it's putting out more light than a 21w HID. Looking at specs unless I'm missing something I don't see how it's possible. Having said that I've not used either and you have so guess you know what you're talking about, I'm just speculating.

I too really like magnetic collar switches. It looks like a great light, I'd certainly like to see one first hand. Cheers.

So .... I can buy one $1500.00 light or buy 42 China lights with batteries .... What should I do ???

Jim...

Hmm .....It uses 4 LiPo batteries with 3400mAh , that probably mean 2S2P , what mean 7,2V @ 6,8 A which stores energy of 48,96 W. and step down led driver

• 4 hour burn time on high
  • 6 hour burn time on low

That mean it uses 10W led ( what is equivalent to halcyon flare or focus ).... which gives us credible burn times . From led mean probably CREE XML-2 or for little more compact spot CREE XP-L.

From picture it have nice deep reflector ( aspect ratio - the depth ) with diameter cca 48 mm which nice collects rays from led and focus them .

I like fixing mechanism ....it is similar to the mechanism for attaching cameras to their stands (tripods )

Magnet rings look similar to Fa-Mi ( probably works very nice)

weight : is really low ( probably without batteries )
  • Weight: 1.25 lbs (0.56 kg)

I miss .... front glass is thick and mineral ? .... housing material aluminium and back part delrin ?

I have to agree with my the predecessor... it looks very nice lamp ;-))

PS: I would not take HID lamp even if I get donated one :no:

So .... I can buy one $1500.00 light or buy 42 China lights with batteries .... What should I do ???

Jim...

If you don't need a light then my advice is to wait. Unlike other diving gear such as regulators or BCs, dive lights are evolving rapidly with changes in technology. If you need a light right away check out the $60 DRIS light. It has some good recommendations.

I finally picked up a new LX-20 from Dive Rite and I have to agree with the OP...this light ROCKS! Although I haven't been able to use it in open water yet (Friday will be the first night dive with it), testing it out in the pool showed the amazing capability of this light. For those that are concerned by the narrow 6 degree spot (as I was)...there is definitely a wide "halo" around the spot beam that helps light up a wider area around the diver. The QRM mount is great and looks really solid and with a 8 ounce negative buoyancy in water, the light should be easy to handle without any fear of hand fatigue from using it.

My one "concern" is that there is no attachment point directly on the light to clip it off for safety reasons. I understand the QRM is pretty secure, and that I could probably run a bungee around the handle and clip it off that way, but I was wondering if anyone else has come up with a way to clip the light off separate from the QRM, just on the off chance it got somehow knocked loose from the mount?

LX20_21.jpg

I put a "safety laynard" on mine. I had it knocked off in the cave when putting on the oxygen bottle on the way out. Since it was a cave and the light was on, it was easy to find. In the ocean.....that could be a problem. Anyway, as with so many things regarding Mr. Murphy (murphy's law) it has not happened since. However, I do recommend having a laynard attached to the light.

Hope you enjoy it as much as I. I just placed an order for a second one. Now I have two for cave diving :)

Claudia

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom