This will be my 1st trip to PDC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

francousteau

Contributor
Reaction score
Could someone tell me what to expect when entering the water? What I mean is, from what I read, I think that one of the crew takes a line and anchors it. Does everyone just hold that line and follow that line down? I can't imagine not using the line to get to the bottom because the way I understand it, the current is a little strong. Also, when ascending, does everyone just make a safty stop at the 15'-20' depth? If someone could explain to me what these step are, I would appreciate it. Also, what's the policy on reef gloves? Bouyancy is good, but this being my first trip of this sort, I don't really want to take a chance on getting nicked up.

Thanks

francousteau:
Could someone tell me what to expect when entering the water? What I mean is, from what I read, I think that one of the crew takes a line and anchors it. Does everyone just hold that line and follow that line down? I can't imagine not using the line to get to the bottom because the way I understand it, the current is a little strong. Also, when ascending, does everyone just make a safty stop at the 15'-20' depth? If someone could explain to me what these step are, I would appreciate it. Also, what's the policy on reef gloves? Bouyancy is good, but this being my first trip of this sort, I don't really want to take a chance on getting nicked up.

Thanks
Hi francousteau: Check out this thread on the Cozumel forum: "What to expect". The third post down from the top from WristShot does a pretty good job of describing what to expect on the drift dive. It's really not too bad diving without a line - you just have to be very careful ascending or you'll shoot through your safety stop. Sometimes the Dive Master will set off a lift bag and let you hang onto it at your safety stop.

As for gloves: Apparently it's the park rules that you can't use gloves. I find that it's up to your DM, however - kind of a don't ask / don't tell kind of thing. Just quietly slip them on just before you go over. I've only had one DM ask me not to use them, and I think I could have talked him into it. Of course the rule is there for the good of the reef, so you shouldn't be touching the reef regardless.

Jerry

I have made several trips and have never had them anchor. That is bad for the coral. Some boats will put out a float and line if the weather is rough. Near Playa I have seen current that was running 2 to 3 mph. consequently, you do drift dives--easy and fun.

Greg

francousteau:

Thanks

Hi francousteau,

Where are you planning to dive from out of Playa Del Carmen?

I would assume that you are planning to do some boat dives?

From the very limited numbers of boat dives that I have down in the Riviera Maya south of Playa Del Carmen, I can only say that the dives and the dive operators there are very professional and their number 1 concern is to ensure the safety of all the divers.
It only stands to reason that it is in their best interest to ensure that the dives are safe and the corals are protected.

The currents in the areas south of Playa Del Carmen are not usually very strong.
Unlike the currents at Cozumel from what I have heard.

The use of reef gloves is not really necessary as there is no chance of getting nicked if the corals are not touched as it should be.
Practice good buoyancy skills and there will be no problem.

The divemaster will usually brief on whether the buoy is used or not.
The crews that I have dove with usually deploy a temporary buoy with a down line over the dive site. The down line is equipped with a weight on the end but usually does not touch the bottom depending on the depth of the dive site.
The crews are very concious as to deploy the buoys over a sandy bottom away from the corals.
Some of the training dive sites have a permanent buoy anchored onto a sandy bottom.

The use of the line is up to the diver whether he/she wished to use it or not.
Most of the discouver scuba or OW trainees will use the line to assist them to the bottom.
Once all the divers have descended, then the boat crew will pick up the temporary buoy and line.

If all the divers are fully OW certified and experienced, the the divemaster may just have all the divers gather behind the boat before doing the descent.

The visibility was usually very good at about 40 - 60 feet so keeping with the dive group was never any problem.

The dives are all NDL and usually about 45 to 50 minutes or 700 psi which ever comes first or less depending on the depth of the dive.
At 1000 psi the divemaster will deploy a safety sausage for the location of the divers for the boat to spot.
At 700 psi the divers are to signal "low on air" at which time the divemaster will signal for the group to acend slowly to the surface.

It is usually a good practice to do a safety stop at 15 feet upon acending from the dive but the divemaster will usually brief as to whether or not a safety stop will be required depending on the dive.

The best advice I can give, is too just enjoy, relax and have fun.
The reefs down there are spectacular.

Tom

Hello Tom,

Thanks much for the GREAT info!!!! Although I had previously read the thread that was suggested by geraldp, I didn't see anything regarding descending/ascending in it (but it was an excellent report). Your information was exactly what I was looking for.
I'm not sure what D.O. that we're going to be diving with. We've looked at a bunch of them (online) and each has good points. We might just go with a couple of them, instead of booking just 1 of them for an entire package. Did you have any particular preference? 13 days and counting until we leave. Cool!

Thanks again

Hi Francousteau

I prefer to do the All Inclusive resorts when on vacation and will use the most convenient dive op, usually the one right on sight at the resort.

Tom

Hi! i just got back from a week in pdc, with 2 days of boat dives in pdc, 1 day of cenote dives and 1 day of cozumel dives-- it was GREAT! here are my recommendations: in pdc use cyan-ha divers, located at the shangri-la resort. emilio is their main dive master, and he is GREAT! so is everyone else who works for them. they have good prices, are the oldest dive op there, and will do everything they can so you have safe, enjoyable dives. definitely take a trip to the cenotes with them-- it is a great experience. i would also advise a day in coz, although i'd do that AFTER your pdc dives, because it is definitely superior diving. i went out with raul of bottomtime divers over there (we took a ferry over in the am from pdc, he met us at the pier and then took us out for 3 dives). raul is FANTASTIC. he and emilio are 2 of the best divemasters i have ever used. i told raul i wanted to see a sea horse, and sure enough, he found one for me! not to mention tons of other great stuff. he is very patient, safety-conscious, and he ensures you get the longest bottom time that is possible! he also took just me and my frined out, despite hab=ving no other divers that day. he has worked in coz for over 10 years and just started his own op. he's GREAT, and so are his prices!
here are web links: www.cyanha.com and www.bottomtimedivers.net

have a fantastic time, i wish i was going back!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom