THIS woman's perspective of Blackbeard liveaboard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

But once a day I need to go through my ritual and reach a feeling of "normal".

That's a lot easier for me to relate to. I imagine most of us have routines we'd miss over time. Could be sitting in front of the computer on the internet (not us Scubaboard members, of course), watching t.v., working in the yard or whatever.

Richard.

I've not been on Blackbeards. My husband has, though, and we go out on the Avalon (lostislandvoyages.com) instead. Same great Bahammas diving, same great liveaboard experience, same size boat, half the people. And, though I'm by no means a girly-girl, and 6ft tall, none of the other women traveling with us had any issues with ladders, hand rails, etc. Hot water rinse at the back of the boat, plus 2 showers and afun knowledgable crew. FWIW

564018_10151075540081111_291508149_n.jpg

I stole this image from Blackbeard's facebook page. If you look directly to the right of the boarding diver, at the top of the metal ladder/bottom of the boat steps you'll see the yellow tag line that goes up to the top of the rail. Other than that you have the horizontal bar to grab onto - which was too far a reach for me coming up the ladder - and then the bars of the railing of the boat above that. Other boats I've been on had a diagonal bar to grab and that was easier for me. Just posting this so folks can see what I'm talking about. I think that if you're fairly strong and/or young and/or taller this will not be an issue. It was an issue for me and also for my husband. We also had some rough water and holding onto a rope which is not stationary made getting back on board tricky. (Sorry if I'm belaboring the point - I hate being one of those people who just will not let it go!).

Each person is different, so I don't think anyone is disputing that you and your husband may have had trouble with the Morning Star's ladder. If I say I didn't, it doesn't negate the fact that you did. Your posting the picture may be helpful for others to decide whether they think they'd have trouble.

Thank you for your review. I am actually planning my next trip to Blackbeard liveaboard and having some insight from previous experiences is always useful. Although the trip obviously had its shortcomings, it looks like you had fun, looking forward to the same experience!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom