Those diving Table Rock July 4th

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diverdown247

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
To those diving Table Rock on July 4th. I spoke with the Army Corps today. No information is currently available on "closed" sites for diving EXCEPT: Moonshine Beach.

Moonshine Beach and the manmade point between it and the boat ramp IS off limits due to high water and the risk of being hit by a jetski or boat.

Dewey Short, the spillway next to Moonshine Beach boat access, and other sites are currently still allowed. Divers should expect dive sites to be 15-20 feet deeper than in previous years due to water levels.

I will be at Dewey Short or Moonshine boat access late Saturday afternoon and all day Sunday. I have a student who needs to finish up this weekend AND he would like to meet some other divers. So, if any of you will be in the area on Sat or Sun, look for us!!

I may be down there this weekend. New to the boards, but not diving to those areas.
I think we are going to dive mostly via the boat, so may not dive there, but if we do, will be in a green dodge dakota or a maroon chevy ext cab truck!
Hope the diving is great!

I was down there a couple weeks ago. Moonshine beach is closed (or was closed). They have it blocked off and you cannot even drive into the beach or boat ramp area.

The water is still fairly high. At Dewey, the wooden steps are gone and the only thing showing on the metal steps is about 4 steps. Actually, there is some good diving at Dewey right now. Use the metal steps to get in. The railings underwater actually work great for getting fins on and such and then float out. There are a couple good reports on TR at Scuba Steves' Midwest Diving Reports

Do they shoot off fire works at the dam? If so, probably going to be alot of boat traffic. This might goof up the viz a little and it probably will be a little crowded.

Snagel

At Dewey Short: 5 foot or less vis, 77 degree temp @ surface, 1st thermocline @ 30 ft, 2nd thermocline @ 40 ft.

Storm water/weather has damaged the bouyancy "swim through" pvc set up along the wall. It is setting lop-sided, partially on the bottom, but still upright.

Treeline is EXTREMELY hazardous due to high waters. There is monofilament line all over in the treeline along Dewey Short.

At Moonshine Spillway: -5 foot vis due to heavy boat traffic and high water. Use extreme caution at the spillway due to people fishing at the boat lot in the high water.

FYI, the BBQ place Odee's is closing and will be moving sometime in August. They have killer ribs!

At Moonshine Spillway: -5 foot vis due to heavy boat traffic and high water. Use extreme caution at the spillway due to people fishing at the boat lot in the high water.

Negative five feet! wow that is some kind of visibility problem. Sure you didn't have your hood on backwards? Oh probably not that would be zero not negative five feet. :)

I dove the cabin cruiser off of the island at Indian point on Sunday. Visibility was not bad, particularly at 30 feet or lower. I could see more than half of the cruiser clearly and could see the stern from the bow but not likely picked out which diver was witch at that distance. It mucked very easy but if you stayed out of the trash it was nice.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom