Thoughts on Aqua Safari Dive Op?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I can't reconcile spending the $$$$ to stay at Coz Palace and then dive with a low quality cattle boat. Why spend $3000 for the week then pass on a better dive op to save $300? No offense to Coz, but for that kind of money there are better places to go.

Cant disagree with that

Cant disagree with that

I don't know where the $300 figure comes from, it was $140 cheaper per day for my wife and I to dive, and with 5 days planned, it was $700 saved by diving with AS. We have stayed at 5 different properties on Coz, some multiple times, and Coz Palace was definitely the nicest of the ones we have used. I don't know of any nicer properties without going down to the south end of the island, which I don't like. We go downtown almost every day when we are in Cozumel, and we can walk there and back from the Coz Palace. It is a 25 to 30 minute cab ride from the south end to the downtown, and I don't want to be that far away. There is no "perfect" accommodations or dive op, but I felt like we received pretty good value for our dollar.

Aqua Safari has three 35+ ft boats that take 12-16 divers at a time. The boat I go on takes 4 usually, and on occasion 6. I sought out a smaller operator because I realized that my slow bring up the rear stay out of everyones way style of diving was preventing me from seeing the wildlife that was scared away from the bumbling divers ahead of me that act like they’ve never seen a lobster or eel in their life.

So, I’d use that 1500 towards other things.

I am not arguing with you mcohen, I also prefer the smaller operator we usually use. To each their own. When I take my kids we are usually alone or with one other diver when we dive. But, if you stay at Coz Palace like we did, the included diving is a pretty good value. I wouldn't stay at another property and dive with AS, but if I return to Cozumel Palace (which I will), I will probably dive with them again as the cost delta is significant. Some trips we like the simplicity of Casa Mexicana, and then it makes sense to go with the smaller op. Sometimes we travel with friends who want to stay at a more upscale property (like this trip), so diving with AS made the most sense. Not trying to sell anyone on Aqua Safari, just pointing out what we experienced, and hopefully giving an honest recap of our experience.

Aqua Safari has three 35+ ft boats that take 12-16 divers at a time. The boat I go on takes 4 usually, and on occasion 6. I sought out a smaller operator because I realized that my slow bring up the rear stay out of everyones way style of diving was preventing me from seeing the wildlife that was scared away from the bumbling divers ahead of me that act like they’ve never seen a lobster or eel in their life.

Good for you? Thankfully there are dozens of other dive shops to accommodate you.

Good for you? Thankfully there are dozens of other dive shops to accommodate you.

LOL, @DFDubb why so cynical. We all have our preferences. If you like the big comfortable cattle boats, you are more than welcome. Enjoy it.

@ OP - I do understand.

I don't know where the $300 figure comes from, it was $140 cheaper per day for my wife and I to dive, and with 5 days planned, it was $700 saved by diving with AS. We have stayed at 5 different properties on Coz, some multiple times, and Coz Palace was definitely the nicest of the ones we have used. I don't know of any nicer properties without going down to the south end of the island, which I don't like. We go downtown almost every day when we are in Cozumel, and we can walk there and back from the Coz Palace. It is a 25 to 30 minute cab ride from the south end to the downtown, and I don't want to be that far away. There is no "perfect" accommodations or dive op, but I felt like we received pretty good value for our dollar.

It came from a per person savings not a total for two. And you could have dived with DWM for $65/day all in and received small boat personalized service which would only be $50 more than what you paid, or $250/person for the week.

In any event, my point was that I thought it didn't make sense to pay big bucks to be in an upscale resort then try to save some back by using a cattle boat (unless you like cattle boats).

Next trip down, get in touch with some property managers, look what’s available to rent instead of resorts. There’s so many homes and condos available, just a different way to stay here.

Next trip down, get in touch with some property managers, look what’s available to rent instead of resorts. There’s so many homes and condos available, just a different way to stay here.

We actually did that this trip. We looked at El Cantil Condos and Hotel, and they are very nice. Hard to beat if you could rent for a full month. The weekly rate isn't that much of a savings. It has a great kitchen with granite counters, stainless appliances, etc. The first thing my wife says "I am on vacation. I don't want to cook and clean". :)

Back
Top Bottom