Thoughts on DGX 600 as primary dive light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cpace

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am considering purchasing the DGX 600 (beam angle 8 deg.) as my primary dive light for tropical diving. My main concern is that the beam angle might be to tight for night diving. Any thoughts?

you will be fine. the tight beam angle means that you will get a hot spot and then a large spill area around it. the spill area will likely be around 80 degrees and will have enough light for you to see things just fine without blinding your subject.

my dive buddy has a 8 degree hog morph that she uses mostly on low setting. she has to aim the hotspot away from many subjects and uses the spill area when close in or watching something like an octopus hunt.

compared to my scubalamp pv10 110 degree the morph casts almost as large a cone of light, but with a very bright hotspot in the middle instead of uniform light across the cone. the tighter beam allows her to see further away when she flips to high power.

Yes, don't shine the hot spot in anything's eyes.

I use less powerful light for night dive. No nocturnal creatures appreciate bright light eg. mandarin fish especially those looking for mating!
Good point. Hog morph on low is around 250 lumens. More than enough for genetal use for Caribbean vacation divers. 1000 lumens is handy for dive site sweeps a few times each dive.
All of our lights have multi power settings.

Good point. Hog morph on low is around 250 lumens. More than enough for genetal use for Caribbean vacation divers. 1000 lumens is handy for dive site sweeps a few times each dive.
All of our lights have multi power settings.
General.

better than genital use.... :-D

yeah the DGX600 is fine for a primary, it has a bit tighter spot that I would normally recommend/prefer for reef diving, but as long as you don't shine it in anythings eyes you'll be fine. Just remember fish can't close their eyes and you can cause damage if you shine it right in their eyes, no different than a human

I prefer the DGX Max for my lights however either light is small enough to be a god backup and bright enough to be my primary light. I carry two since if I am on a night dive and one fails I want to have a backup.

Back
Top Bottom