Thoughts on DGX back plate and wing.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

moosedaisy

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
My bcd finally died after a few thousand dives. I've been kicking around the idea of a bpw combo. I'm. A dive master and get keyman pricing on scuba pro but I haven't see much good feed back on their tec line.

My budget which is very little since I've worked 14 days since covid is pretty tight. I'm thinking I'm going to go with the DGX custom single bpw combo.. Any thoughts on this set up? Any strong opinions?

I’ve heard good things about it. For the price, I don’t think that you can’t beat it (for a new setup). If I had to replace my BP/W...I’d go for that or Deep 6 ($50 more than the one from DGX).

I agree. DGX or Deep 6.

DW

I saw the D6G ST bladder at Aqui Water Sports this week.

Yeah, diggin' it.

Probably going to get that one for my wife.

I use the DGX single wing, got it when I was in the same bind - needed a BCD and didn't have a large budget. I've taken it on 30 dives at least and I love it. Travels well, is easily customizable, and is nice and simple.

D6 gear is also really good (I have their regs and fins). You can't go wrong with either choice.

I'm considering that or the Hog w/ their 32# wing and SS plate... anyone seen both the Hog and DGX setup and have any comparisons?

I use DGX and they're amazing, super low and narrow profile. Doesn't taco, and easy to completely dump air out of it.
The webbing is a bit hard, but you don't notice it. The plate is great, and the inflator is not to long.

I'd to for the regular elbow, just skip the pull dump, and the best thing is, it uses off the shelf parts, and they're easy and cheap to find.

The thing I like about the wing is, it's taller, and extends lower than a regular wing, which makes it not taco, and it's easy to keep yourself upright, since the wing is not wider than the plate, you just drop some air out of the wing on the surface and your completely upright.

I'd just get 4 trim pocket, I use 2 on the upper camband, and 2 on the waistband attached by bungees not to slide. I can fit 8kg with a steel backplate so I'm covered for any combination of tank/water/suit.

I totally recommend it.

Some pics.
IMG_20200701_185917.jpg
IMG_20200701_185904.jpg
IMG_20200701_185858.jpg

I'm considering that or the Hog w/ their 32# wing and SS plate... anyone seen both the Hog and DGX setup and have any comparisons?

From a comparison standpoint...the HOG SS plate is fairly heavy compared to the run of the mill aluminum plate.

I started with HOGs Total Buoyancy Control System Package with SS plate and their 32# wing. It is a nice setup, but the extra padding (shoulder straps and back pad) kind of defeat the purpose of the SS backplate, as they’re positively buoyant and require you to add extra weight to offset them. I removed the strap pads and back pad and was able to remove some weight.

I transitioned to a Dive Rite lightweight SS plate, Hogarthian webbing, and the HOG 32# wing. This setup is going to be closer to the run of the mill BP/W with an aluminum or lightweight SS plate. ex. DGX.

I like the 32# HOG wing and have no plans to replace it anytime soon. That being said, some people aren’t a fan of bungee wings...so they’d likely say to go to DGX or someone else for a ~30# wing.

Regardless of which company you go with...don’t waste your money on a “deluxe” setup with padded shoulder straps, back pad, etc. Pretty much everyone told me that prior to me buying mine.:popcorn:

Oh yeah, on another note. The 30lbs wing is more than enought to carry a steel backplate and a 15l steel tank, lamp, regulators and fins. So don't worry about the size of the wing.

However, I havent tested the buoyancy with added weight since the 2.3kg steel plate is enough for freshwater dives with a 12l narrow steel tank. With a 12l stubby or a 15l it works perfectly.

Back
Top Bottom