Thoughts on shark shield

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

norforkdiver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi Everyone,
Iam curious about the electronic sharksheild. does it really work? anyone with real world experience with one? I was told they are mostly to make the diver feel safer. Thanks for your input.
Mike

HI Mike,

I have no idea if they work but a better question is why would you want one? Most of us look forward to the rare chance we have to see a shark. Unless your spearfishing, close encounters of a dangerous nature are very rare. It's likey you will go years without seeing a shark unless your on a shark dive. Nurse sharks are fairly common in caribbean and florida but they are more like logs than sharks. You will find them sleeping under ledges but unless you really mess with them they don't even move. The other excpetion is the sand tiger sharks off the NC coast. For what ever reason they seem to like divers and don't leave quickly when divers approch. Its common for us to dive close...with in a few yards, of them but so far I have heard of no negative incounters.

As far as I am concerned, the thing is much more of a sales gimmic that anything else. Wheather it works or not really does not matter, your not likely to see a shark and once your have, you look forward to the next one...why would you want to reduce your chances of seeing another one.

The area where I will dive is noted for its sharks franklin county fl reefs. I see and hook sharks from my boat all the time. I do plan on spearfishing and had an encounter with a bigeye sand tiger in that general area. I have landed numerous sharks (catch and release) and watch them from the dock of my beach house. I am not amazed by them, I just would rather not have to worry about them with my son in the water with me
Thanks, mike

i know 2 guys in sydney that own them and they dont need them here at all

what i can say that i have seen,..... noone wants to dive with these divers when they are using them........ because their buddy keeps getting shocked by the electrode thingy that hangs off their ankle.... kinda funny to watch though :D

but, if i was in some south australia or western australia dive sites i think i would use them but i dont think i will have to think aboot that for a very long time

cheers

Hey Mike
This is what I have been told, they work well if the sharks are just around because they are kept at bay if you will, BUT if you are spearfishing and a shark "charges you" from the bottom or side and not knowing about the shark shield it will come straight up into the shield to get your fish or you for that matter. I have friends who have shark shields and it works great for them but they still keep their eyes open if they see some sharks off in a distance because if they charge you it will not effect them as if they were just coming in to see whats going on and find out they don't like getting close. I hope that makes sense to you, I don't know how else to explain it.
Love Ya
Sis

HI Mike,

I have no idea if they work ....., your not likely to see a shark and once your have, you look forward to the next one...why would you want to reduce your chances of seeing another one.

How in the world can you make blanket statements about a diver being not likely to see a shark? I have seen hundreds and hundreds of potentially dangerous sharks while scuba and freediving in florida and many in the bahamas also. Sometimes when spearfishing, sometimes when not. I have had some very scary encounters, but that has been when spearfishing.

As far as the shark sheild, I have a few buddies who have them and I am quite sure that they serve as a deterent to sharks getting within 12-15 feet of a diver. The opportunity to get shocked by it is minimal unless you get under the diver and the electrode touches you. Except of course if you buddy forgets to turn it off and you both climb up on an aluminum platform that is soaked with seawater (It doesn't really hurt, much):D:D

I’ll share my experience since I wear the Freedom 4. Short version is Yes it absolutely works!

Some quick background on my dive conditions. 1st, no I don’t work the company or I would be wearing the updated new Freedom 7 at no charge, so this is just my own thoughts. I dive in Jupiter Florida. Probably one of the most aggressive shark populations in Florida, due to the large population of spearos and cross current as the gulf stream starts to move further away from shore and the abundance of big fish. I have been spearfishing here for about 10 years and have shot plenty of dead bleeding fish that our sharks usually want. I never drop my fish if a shark is approaching because, he’ll just come back up to the food source(me) and won’t stop, so I always keep my fish.

I usually don’t turn on my shark shield until after I have shot my first fish and then if viz is good at 50+ feet, I may not turn it on until I see my 1st shark, since it also can be an attraction in my opinion.

In my dive location, the biggest problem we have is with bullsharks. They tend to stick together in groups and when there is 3-4 and you dive solo, a little help from the shield is nice. Most of the reef sharks seem more solitary and by closing the distance and either barking at them or butting them, they will back down and hold off. Nurses rarely move and just sleep. We don’t get many hammerheads, but if it’s January and the Lemon’s are around, you need to really pay attention since they are ambush sharks, and don’t circle or bump like the reefies and bulls. Again, just my own opinion in my area that I dive.

When I have had a problem with sharks that won’t back down from a punch or a bark, the shield does work. They will keep taking runs into you, but really can’t focus on the dead fish’s exact location next to you because they are not right on top of it. As the shark comes up, at about 10 feet away it will clearly hit the irritation field and turn as if to bounce off of it. They usually will circle back immediately and try it again and usually several times. You will still need to take aggressive action towards the shark(s) and back it down. If you don’t he’ll come at you from the top where the field is not as strong. Also it’s just an irritation field, not a vault. If the shark gets a full run like Lemons do, your going to get bumped and hard, and the shark is not going to turn. Don’t wait, get aggressive at the first siting, chase the shark, and back him down so he knows you aren’t going to flee.

The shark shield is just like a pony bottle. It’s not required, but it gives you a huge amount of confidence when solo spearfishing, that you can deal with a problem, remain calm, and not bolt to the surface and embolize. Panic kills. The shield instills additional confidence that you can deal with a shark problem, but it’s not a shelter.

Couple of other notes. 99% of the time when the boat engines show up to get you, the sharks leave so you have as much time as you want to turn it off and calmly climb up the ladder, it’s not a Jaws movie. If you do grab the metal ladder and the shield is on, you and others will get shocked. What does the shock feel like? It doesn’t tickle, it hurts. But it won’t kill you either. You need to have every piece of exposed skin within 2 feet of the whip completely covered with neoprene or you will feel the light shocks. If you have short booties and a short wetsuit that rides above them, you’ll feel the irritation.

If you don’t spearfish, you don’t need a shark shield. If your not in a known shark population area, you probably don’t need it depending on your hunting patterns. I have no experience with great whites, mako’s, duskies, spinners, or other types of sharks since I just dive/spear in a very limited area. You can PM me if you have specific questions.

Like Johnoly, I also spearfish off the east coast of Florida and use a sharkshield. Although I have not had as many shark encounters as John, the few experiences I have had off our coast as well as the Keys are consistent with John's description. I have a handful of spearfishing friends that have shark shields, and we all utilize it the same way. Keep it turned off until you shoot your first fish, then turn it on to minimize the chance of getting blind-sided by a pesky shark. I have yet to have a shark or sharks get within 10-15 feet of me when it's turned on.

Nurse sharks do not seem to be affected by the shark shield. Many times I've been within 2-3 feet of a nurse shark with my shark shield pulsing away and they just don't move.

As far as the shock - it's not comfortable, but I wouldn't characterize it as very painful. If you don't know it's coming it will definitely get your attention. Many times I've been reaching for a fish or a lobster under a ledge and the whip will lay on top of my leg ( or my exposed ankle) and pulse - I can't immediately get it off because I'm halfway under the ledge working a fish, but it's something you don't want to feel for more than 5-10 seconds.

Back
Top Bottom