Thoughts on Training, Panic, and Hazing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thalassamania

Diving Polymath
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
On a large pile of smokin' A'a, the most isolated
# of dives
5000 - ∞
I had originally planned on putting this in a new thread in the I2I forum, but then I decided that it might be of interest to a broader audience - Thal

A comment about hazing during training got me to thinking about training, panic and hazing. It is important we define what we mean by hazing, within the context of this conversation. I'm limiting my comments to training procedures in which leadership personnel take an active role in making a student's situation in the water more difficult, without warning, for example turning off a student's air or removing a student's mask. While I am against hazing, I think it is useful to examine the underpinnings of hazing so that any useful elements may be retained, and the retrograde elements may be rejected

To my way of thinking the argument if favor of this sort of hazing is that, when judiciously applied, it is a fairly realistic simulation of what happens in the course of a "diving accident." There is one failure piled on top of another until both the diver's ability to deal with the immediate crisis and the diver's situational awareness (in this case the ability to see other problems coming and head them off before they compound the crisis) are compromised. So judicious application of hazing can simulate this situation and take a student right to panic, and even a hair over it, whilst they are still protected from real harm by leadership personnel.

There are some who would have you believe that everyone will panic at some level of stress and that you can not be trained not to panic. Let’s first take a cursory look at what panic is. A panic attack is defined as "a discrete period of intense fear or discomfort that is accompanied by at least 4 of 13 somatic or cognitive symptoms" (American Psychiatric Association, 1994, p. 394). The somatic symptoms described include shortness of breath, dizziness, and accelerated heart rate, whilst the cognitive symptoms consist of fear of dying and fear of going crazy or losing control. The distinction between somatic and cognitive symptoms, lead Clark in his, “Cognitive Approach to Panic" (Behavior Research and Therapy, 24, 461-470) to advance a cognitive model of panic in which panic resulted from the "catastrophic misinterpretation" of bodily sensations whereby the perception of these sensations as far more dangerous than their cause(s). Palpitations may be interpreted as a sign of an impending heart attack, slight breathlessness may be perceived as evidence of cessation of breathing and possible resulting death, shakiness may be interpreted as signaling loss of control or insanity. He also proposed that such catastrophic misinterpretation may play a critical role in the vicious cycle which culminates in a panic attack and panic disorder. When you combine “normal” diving sensations with the fear that many people have of drowning or suffocating then it becomes easy to see why many divers are operating at close the edge of panic (oft without realizing it) much of the time. All it takes is one small incident or addition to push them right over the edge into a full blown panic state where offering a regulator or shouting "inflate your BC" are completely ineffective treatment modalities.

We were “designed” by either evolution (or a creator with truly lousy design capabilities) to operate properly only within our natural environment. We have altered our natural environment, created technologies that do not conform to its rules and that expanded the natural world to include items and locations that we did not evolve to deal with. SCUBA equipment is a great example, divers are subjected new experiences that they misinterpret, e.g., an illusion of lack of air brought as a result of a tight fitting wet suit, the mechanical failings of a regulator, or the increasing density of the air they are breathing. When we subject ourselves to such phenomena and do not take the time to provide comprehensive learned feedback for these sensations, we guarantee that panic will result. Panic is only dealt with in one of two ways, technical solutions to help avoid the trigger sensations (e.g., a properly fitting wetsuit, a balanced first stage and “over-balanced” second stage and less dense bas mixtures for deeper dives) or comprehensive learned feedback to desensitize us to the sensations and/or retrain our responses. I am not a big believer in technological solutions. They have a way of going awry , either through the perversity of the universe or the stupidly of human kind. Rather I seek solutions through desensitization exercises and the retraining of responses.

We teach our students to hold their breath for rather long periods of time. This has several salubrious effects, it’s a great place to jump off to a discussion of shallow water blackout with the innumerable attendant physics and physiology topics; it gives the students an immediate feeling of major accomplishment, their having completed something that they doubted they could; it creates incredible confidence amongst the students in their instructors; and it provides a wonderful way to get them “back on the horse” when they hit a snag. There are several reasons for doing this, one is to teach them a relaxation technique, another is to help them to gain confidence that what we ask them to do and be done and yet a third is help them to gain confidence in themselves and their own ability to master things that they initially see as difficult or even impossible. Permit me to expand on some of these ideas.

We use a series of exercises, built into a kata, to teach our students breath holding. I am not, here and now, going to describe exactly how we teach breath holding (that‘s a separately priced product). First we conduct a “raise your hand” poll: “I can hold my breath for about three minutes! How long can you hold your breath?” one of the staff says, “Ten seconds? Raise your hand. Twenty? Raise your hand, if that’s too long for you lower it. Thirty? Forty-Five? A minute? Minute and a half? Two minutes? Longer than two minutes?” Everyone raises their hand for ten seconds. We lose a few at twenty, a few more at thirty. At forty-five way less than half the class is left and at a minute there might be two, one of whom gave up at a minute and a half, the other will still be going (usually with a slight smirk) at “Longer than two minutes?” Those last two we’ll have to watch, they’ll be paired up and put with two of the best free divers on the staff (they go out, free dive and spear tunas! A little out of my league).

The session continues: “Okay class … let me tell you what’s going to happen. Today each and every one of you will hold your breath for a minute. Most of you will reach a minute and a half and a few of you will reach two minutes. By the midterm every one of you will be able to breath hold for two minutes. Okay?” The general reaction is usually one of slight nervousness and insecurity. Then we describe and teach the kata and we do the kata, out to two minutes at the beginning of every pool and open water session. You can imagine the level of psych in the class when at the end of the first pool session they all make a minute or more. If you told that next class we will have a session where they learn to walk on water they’d believe it.

So what’s the big deal? So what if students can hold their breath? They’re here to learn to scuba diving not free dive! Right? Wrong! One quick example: think about how easy it is to teach a student to clear their mask who can confidently hold his or her breath for a minute. We spent 15 minutes on breath holding and now in less that five minutes everyone in the class has actually "mastered" repeated clears, effortlessly. That tradeoff alone makes it worth while, everything else is gravy.

But I was discussing desensitization exercises and the retraining of responses. We concentrate on exercises that force students to the edge of discomfort due to moderate exertion whilst breath holding and then we ask them to perform a fine motor skill that takes a little time. An example of this is our free diving doff and don:
  • In full gear, including 7mm wet suit and gloves, but no hood:
  • surface dive to 13',
  • remove mask and place it on the bottom,
  • roll out of weight belt place it on the bottom,
  • make a flared ascent,
  • recover your breath on the surface,
  • surface dive down against the buoyancy of your suit,
  • roll into your weight belt and fasten it (wire or SeaQuest buckle really helps here),
  • and now to the fine motor skills: recover mask and don it,
  • clear mask,
  • surface with hand up, circling, with mask and snorkel clear.
There are a great number of other skills learned here too, a powerful surface dive, the advantage of dolphin kick for low gear and flutter kick for higher gear propulsion, operating without a mask, weight belt removal and replacement, etc. But most important is learning how to do something slowly and methodically when you’ve got an accelerated heart rate, trembling or shaking sensations, shortness of breath, feeling of choking, and chest pain or discomfort, tight-chested feeling. Heck, according to the American Psychiatric Association’s Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders you only need four of those five to be diagnosed with a full blown panic attack.

Almost no one succeeds in this exercise on their first try, we build up to it with propriary receptor training for pike surface dive position, diving to the bottom with and without a weightbelt, doing just the mask, doing just the weight belt and then finally doing both. After each attempt of each skill the student lies flat at the surface and engages in the breathing kata. This is extremely relaxing and teaches them how to click quickly into a meditative state that desensitizes them and retrains their responses.

By the time we are done, the student is in an entirely different “head space.” He or she knows that they can comfortably hold their breath for two minutes, that they can comfortably hold their breath for a minute, even on exhalation. This make concerns over things like emergency swimming ascents or sharing air (regardless of technique) rather irrelevant to them.

In my experience it is relatively easy to design exercises that are “self-stressing” so that there is no need to bring leadership personnel into them to make them more difficult. Well designed exercises will, without breaking the chain of trust, serve to allow students to experience panic and the kind of situations that lead up to it so that they are able to lean not just the correct mechanical response to a situation (what some instructors refer to as “relevant“ or “practical“ or “realistic” exercises), but are also taught to identify, control and work with the physical sensations and mental processes that are part an parcel of panic (such “irrelevant“ or “impractical“ or “unrealistic” exercises).

Please note that we accomplish all this without any recourse to hazing of any form. I do not believe in hazing because I feel that first and foremost it will have a souring effect on the relationship between the diving instructor and the diving student. Hazing diminishes, even destroys, the absolute trust that a diving student should have in his or her instructor. Less mature diving instructors may, if permitted to haze, cross over the line and actually endanger diving students all in the name of fun and games. Hazing can bring out the worst in human behavior.

I think it is good to test, stress, and panic students in a controlled environment. Unfortunately, time and money does not permit this in 95% of the OW courses in the country.

If instructors are making minimum wage, adding the time and personnel to do this safely would increase the cost of an OW course to above twice what it usually cost, I think.

Okay, honestly I didn't even read the whole thing. However, being military and having plenty of training in which they continuously up the ante by making it harder and harder, I know how well it works. I wouldn't mind if that were part of the cert process. Certainly would make me a LOT more comfortable to go diving with anyone!!

I think it is good to test, stress, and panic students in a controlled environment. Unfortunately, time and money does not permit this in 95% of the OW courses in the country.

If instructors are making minimum wage, adding the time and personnel to do this safely would increase the cost of an OW course to above twice what it usually cost, I think.
They do not teach chefs from Cordon Bleu to inquire, "do you you want fries with that?" is that a reason to eat at McDonald's? I don't teach, nor do I aspire to teach, at the level of what you indicate is done in 95% of the courses out there.

Okay, honestly I didn't even read the whole thing. However, being military and having plenty of training in which they continuously up the ante by making it harder and harder, I know how well it works. I wouldn't mind if that were part of the cert process. Certainly would make me a LOT more comfortable to go diving with anyone!!
I'm not an advocate of the military training model, it relies too heavily on things that I feel run counter to to the creation of thinking divers. It does produce a proper response, but it does so at the cost of an ever increasing number of failed candidates as the level of training rises. I do think, however, that there are many things that we can learn by careful examination of that model.

Really, I learned to dive from my wife. Sure, I took a bunch of PADI courses but my wife, who had about 2000+ dives when I met her and got certified, taught me more about water skills than all the courses put together. She has always engaged in what I think you call hazing. She would rip my reg out of my mouth without warning, at depth. Or she would grab my mask and let it drift down onto the sand, where I would have to swim down for it and grope around blindly. Or she would remove one of my fins and swim off back to the boat. I believe these "exercises", if one can call them that, made me a much better diver.

Of course, we also practice the more usual (?) skills such as buddy breathing while swimming and a complete exchange of gear while maintaining a fixed depth. Freediving is another thing which, I think, is a useful builder of skills.

What's the answer? I have no idea what instructors should be doing - I'm not one, and would not presume to offer advice. But, as a student of diving, I know that these exercises made all the difference. One must feel a certain level of stress, and perform appropriately, to develop the confidence one needs to be a good, safe diver.

Just my $0.02.

Hazing is the wrong termonology.
I should be called problem solving. In a controlled enviroment.
Most common cause of accidents is mask flooding for various reasons. It leads into many problems. Especially for those who DO NOT DIVE ALLOT.

Thal, that's a really interesting approach to the problem -- The problem being defined as teaching a diver to continue to think and process rationally in the face of severe stress underwater. Certainly, the ultimate underwater stress is having nothing to breathe. If you can maintain your presence of mind in that circumstance, you're way ahead of the game.

Please note that we accomplish all this without any recourse to hazing of any form. I do not believe in hazing because I feel that first and foremost it will have a souring effect on the relationship between the diving instructor and the diving student.

It's interesting that my personal experience with this was the exact opposite. Not only did it not reduce my trust in my instructor, it made the relationship stronger, because a) I trusted that he was there to make sure that, if my response to the stress wasn't optimal, I would still be safe, and b) it was a subtle vote of confidence that he felt I was capable of managing the stress situation he was creating.

And, even though breathlessness is the ultimate stress, and the techniques used to cope with it are undoubtedly generalizable to other stressors, I think there's still value in experiencing other scenarios. For me, lack of vision and the subsequent disorientation is still extremely challenging, and the specific coping mechanisms I've had to develop for it came as a result of being put in that situation repeatedly. Although it was certainly possible to work on it when the reduced vision came as a planned drill, the biggest value has come from the episodes where lights were turned off in the dark, or my mask was pulled from my face in the middle of trying to accomplish something else.

I do think hazing has a purpose and a value, but I agree with you that it has to be applied by a "thinking instructor" whose judgment is very careful.

Thal, that's a really interesting approach to the problem -- The problem being defined as teaching a diver to continue to think and process rationally in the face of severe stress underwater. Certainly, the ultimate underwater stress is having nothing to breathe. If you can maintain your presence of mind in that circumstance, you're way ahead of the game.
As my Dad once fractured Kipling when we got back safely after almost getting killed in a sailboat race, during which I was 14 and oblivious to the danger, "If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, you probably don't know what the f*u** is going on. "

It's interesting that my personal experience with this was the exact opposite. Not only did it not reduce my trust in my instructor, it made the relationship stronger, because a) I trusted that he was there to make sure that, if my response to the stress wasn't optimal, I would still be safe, and b) it was a subtle vote of confidence that he felt I was capable of managing the stress situation he was creating.
Hm ... very interesting. I'm going to have to cogitate on that one for a bit. My first, hipshot, response was that perhaps your ER training better prepared you for that sort of thing.

Back in the middle of the last century there were two Sport diving (today’s Recreational) certifications. OW and AOW.

OW like today was the basic building block. The big difference was it covered much more than today. It went up to Rescue with a bunch of what are now specialty courses added in. It was much longer and there was one fee which was around $25.00 when I took it. One drawback was a very high student failure rate.

So I guess the agencies figured they weren’t going to make any money so they started breaking things up. Today you pay for every little thing individually. But the charges are not relative to what they were compared to the wages of the times.

Minimum wage was around $1.00 when the all inclusive class was $25.00. Just last week we checked on getting our Grandson into a class. Now keep in mind minimum wage is roughly between $6 and $8.00 in our area. So there has been a 6 to 8X+ increase in the wage but at $425.00 for OW that is an increase of 17 times. Even gas at $3.00 a gallon has only increased by 12 times. But add in all the classes it takes to get to where the training used to be and the cost will be around 3X more or roughly 51 times the cost just 40+ years ago.

Has the training gotten easier? Yes it has and at the same time your billfold has gotten lighter.:wink:

Gary D.

A most interesting treatise.

I agree completely that desensitization that allows the student to push their mental envelope (i.e. what they think they can do vs what they're actually capable of) is invaluable.
However, that kind of experience can't be achieved using ridicule or humiliation, which erode the confidence of the victim. IMHO... hazing is truly only successful in teaching people to perpetuate it. I don't consider it a worthwhile training tool at all.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom