Thoughts on Wings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KaizerWilhelm

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
First off, let me say that y'all make AWESOME gear. I've got 3 wings, 2 masks, fins, and backup lights that all say Hollis on them. I'll soon buy a reel and an O2 reg, too!

I have some ideas that might make your wings a wee bit better...

1. Inflation hose. The inflation hose y'all have on there is fine. It works well for what it is. My one complaint is that it is not flat. I want the hose to be as streamlined as possible and, with a hose that is a cylinder, it is not. The Apeks style inflator hoses are oval shaped and sit well on the webbing. I just ordered 3 to put on my Hollis wings. Could these hoses be stock?

2. The butt dump. The butt dump works great. There is not much to screw up with a butt dump. However, can y'all add an additional 2" of string to the dump? All of us DIR guys pull off the knob at the end and want an easy thing to grab. If y'all added 2 more inches of string we could easily pull off the knob, knot the string in a couple of places and be quite happy.

3. Reel. I know, not wings, but this is important. DIR guys want no metal to metal connections in case something gets caught, etc. Can you connect the bolt snap to the reel using cave line and not the pin through the bolt snap hole?

I hope this comes across as constructive from a guy who uses this stuff every day and not me bitchin about the equipment...cause I'm not.

Cheers,

Will

2. The butt dump. The butt dump works great. There is not much to screw up with a butt dump. However, can y'all add an additional 2" of string to the dump? All of us DIR guys pull off the knob at the end and want an easy thing to grab. If y'all added 2 more inches of string we could easily pull off the knob, knot the string in a couple of places and be quite happy.

You can make the butt dump string any length you want. Just unscrew it and take the rubber gasket out of the valve thing (no idea what you call it) it should come right out (Just did it on mine). Then all you need to do is untie / cut off the knot, remove the string and replace with whatever length makes you happy.

Hi Will,

See replies below in bold.

First off, let me say that y'all make AWESOME gear. I've got 3 wings, 2 masks, fins, and backup lights that all say Hollis on them. I'll soon buy a reel and an O2 reg, too! Thanks for the comments :wink:

I have some ideas that might make your wings a wee bit better...

1. Inflation hose. The inflation hose y'all have on there is fine. It works well for what it is. My one complaint is that it is not flat. I want the hose to be as streamlined as possible and, with a hose that is a cylinder, it is not. The Apeks style inflator hoses are oval shaped and sit well on the webbing. I just ordered 3 to put on my Hollis wings. Could these hoses be stock? We only carry the round hose as the standard at this time, although per your suggestion we will consider the oval as an option.

2. The butt dump. The butt dump works great. There is not much to screw up with a butt dump. However, can y'all add an additional 2" of string to the dump? All of us DIR guys pull off the knob at the end and want an easy thing to grab. If y'all added 2 more inches of string we could easily pull off the knob, knot the string in a couple of places and be quite happy. The knob is included and can be removed. If you wish to remove the knob and the string is too short, more can be added as mentioned above.

3. Reel. I know, not wings, but this is important. DIR guys want no metal to metal connections in case something gets caught, etc. Can you connect the bolt snap to the reel using cave line and not the pin through the bolt snap hole? Good question. If you wish to not secure the boltsnap using the supplied method, simply secure the boltsnap to the thru pin using cave line instead.

I hope this comes across as constructive from a guy who uses this stuff every day and not me bitchin about the equipment...cause I'm not. Thanks again for the suggestions, we value your feedback.

Cheers,

Will

Best Regards,

Nick,

In my first post, I totally forgot to ask you this question:

Why do the C45 and C60 not come with a nylon inner bladder? The S38 does. It's a singles wing. There should really be no reason why you can't do a nylon inner bladder for the technical wing. If it costs more, so what. I'd still buy it over Halycon. People who I dive with are talking about how great your wings are, but when they get to the inner bladder, they all say the same thing, "The wing would be perfect if it had a nylon bladder." Why did you skimp on the internal construction?

Y'all really do have a great wing in the C45. The shape is excellent, it's easier to carry stages with that extra 5lb of lift, and the price is great. But if you want to compete with Halcyon head to head, upgrade to the Apeks inflator hose and get a nylon inner bladder.

I don't want to tell you how to run your business, I just want you guys to succeed and knock Halcyon down a few pegs.

Cheers,

Will

P.S. Don't mess with the LED5 backup lights. They are PERFECT. Blows the Halcyon Scouts right out of the water, literally.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom