Thunderbay Wreck Diving Trip - Memorial Weekend

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BoneCrusher

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Bruno's Dive Shop Will Be Invading Thunderbay​
May 28th and 29th, 2011​

brunosdiveshop.jpg

Come celebrate Memorial Weekend by diving the awesome shipwrecks in Thunderbay! We will be doing a 2 tank dive (plan is to dive 3 wrecks with the last wreck of the day being shallow to finish off a tank or to snorkel) on both Saturday and Sunday.

The wrecks in Thunderbay are simply spectacular and the group from Bruno's always have a good time. Dust off that dive gear from the winter break and start the 2011 dive season off right!

There are only a few spots left for this charter, so if you are interested, call the dive shop (586-792-2040) or go to the website (Memorial Weekend Thunder Bay Trip) to reserve your spot on the boat.

Cost: $135.00 One Day
$250.00 Both Days

We are planning on camping at Campers Cove, or there are hotels in the area for those who don't want to "rough" it. :D

GLDBottomPic1.gif

Looking forward to seeing you folks up here!

Right now NOAA, Woods Hole Oceanographic, and Sony Corp are up here with a group of High School students from Saginaw. And their goal is to search for and find a shipwreck, video it and then document the find. It is an off shoot from Sony's Rocket Project but this time they are going down, not up in the air. Usually takes about a year post production before these things make it on TV so keep an eye out.

Unfortunately the weather has not been the most cooperative but they did go out this morning. I suspect and outbreak of mal de mer but NOAA sure has one beautiful 60+ footer that might make all the difference. Rest of the week 6' waves or less is forecast. Saturday, if you can believe weathermen, is supposed to be beautiful...I need to get Thunder Bird out for a spring ride before you folks show up. This stupid weather has been an obstical this year.

Mike, How many spots are currently left and what is the set up for breathing gas between dives/days? What wrecks are you looking at and as we are not all tri-mix divers will there be the ability to fill nitrox or will we have just air? Looking closely at this since I figured out that it is not the far north Thunder Bay!

There are only a couple spots left for the charter (so if you are interested, get a hold of the shop quickly)!

Yes, this is out of Alpena, MI, NOT the Thunder bay, Ontario. Sorry for the confusion. :D

All of the wrecks that we will be visiting will be within Recreational depths (not a tech trip). We typically determine what wrecks based on weather conditions and interest from those on the boat. Fills are available in Alpena (both air and partial pressure mix nitrox).

We currently have two 6-pack boats and 10 people signed up for diving on Saturday and Sunday morning. I have asked Capt. Joe to take the boat out again, weather permitting, on Saturday afternoon and he has said that he would also be happy to take some of the group out again on Monday if anyone is keen.

I am being positive. The diving will be great and the weather will be perfect for grilling and chilling on Sunday afternoon and drinking into the night! So, Monday is out for me! I'll be rising late, eating fried food and visiting NOAA's exhibit on the way back south.

Most of the group are regular Great Lakes Divers but only two are tech certified. All of the dives will be recreational and given that several have not dove this year, the dives on Saturday will certainly be conservative.

We have two spots left.

Thanks,

Rick

I have never dove in the Great Lakes. Do you need any special skills or certifications to book on this trip? I think diving would be pretty cool to do. I already have my own mask and some full foot fins I used when I snorkled in Florida one time. Will the water be warm by then? I have heard that the group from Bruno's is decent enough to hang around with.

I'm in. I hope I can find my snorkel by then too!

I thought for sure I scared you off when I told you Mitten Diver was going!!! :rofl3:

I'm not sure what will be better, the sweet wrecks or the antics during the surface interval. :cool2:

Back
Top Bottom