Tiger Shark Expedition

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba Stefan

Registered
Reaction score
Hello fellow divers

I am going to South africa to dive in 2 weeks and i have signed up for a Tiger shark expedition

http://www.africanodyssea.co.za/tiger sharks south africa.htm

Have any of you out there tried this? maybe some one could tell me a little of what I can expect - maybe some has tries something similar somewhere else.

I am really looking forward to this so please help me kille time and share your stories.

I am also doing Aliwal Shoal, Protea banks, 2 days of GW at Gaansbai and a day of regular scuba diving in Capetown. I am exited:D

Thanks a bunch

Stefan

I dived with these guys but didn't do the baited tiger thing as the viz wasn't great at the site when I was there and I saw two tigers on my first two dives on Protea so decided to stay with Protea as it was producing the goods. Decision paid off with a truck load of raggies, 2 blacktips, a school of about 100 hammers, 2 zambezis and a pair of humpback whales (u/w and another pair topside). That wetted your appetite yet? The African Odyssea guys really know and care about sharks.

I only got one decent shoredive in at Capetown and that was also fantastic.

Damn!

Nice Isurus- hope to see everything.. well except for the raggies i guess it is not the season this time of year

I got the impression you are going at the right time of year to see some pretty exciting stuff, the bigger zambezis should be there now. You'll probably get better views of the tigers at the tiger feeding as well.

The only thing I missed out on that I would really have liked to see was the giant guitarfish.

Well the calendar says you've got a better chance in March than I had in October.....http://www.africanodyssea.co.za/protea banks calender.htm

I got the impression the big schools aren't seen that often these days - we just popped out of the crack with the raggies and there they were. Apparently they often follow a certain type of gamefish the guides recognise and point out so you are aware something interesting may be about to show up. We got the signal for these fishies and then there they were.

thanks for the calendar - looks like I am in for some nice diving.

Would love to see a school of hammers but a single one will also do:)

And yes my timing seems very good - guess i got lucky:)

I'm jealous!! We had to cancel our trip to South Africa which was planned for June when we found out that my wife is pregnant - well at least that's a major consulation of course :)

She's actually banned me from diving for the next 7 months though, so it's gonna be a very dry summer for me :(

Cheers, Simon

that sounds like a heck of a shark dive. but the shark i would love to see the most is your name isurus. isurus oxyrinchus! i have seen a lot of sharks in my time, but i have yet to see this bad boy, and he is the one i want to see the worst.

Back
Top Bottom