Time for a little report on Belize

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GA Under Water

Divemaster
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times,serif]So, after 14 tanks of gas being drained by me between 30 and 90 feet below the waves, and the a few days to think about it, I figured it was time to tell everyone how the trip went.

San Pedro, Ambegris Caye, Belize:
My journey starts January 20 as the plane lands, It's a Single Prop puddle jumper at max of about 700 feet this day due to rain and wind. Watching the clear water stream past the windows below me the anticipation of being in that water grew yet I knew I had 12+ hours left before I would be picked up by the Dive boat.

Day 2 8:20 am:
Abi with Eclogical Divers picks me up in the rain for my first day of diving. Only 2 dives this day have been planned along the world's second largest barrier reef. 192 miles of the Meso-American Barrier Reef was waiting to be explored by me. Tres Cocos and Victoria Gardens dives are just outside the reef. At the time the rain had not stopped so it was a bit chilly but once in the 79f water and the colors start jumping out at you any "chilly" sensations abate. Running the finger canyons and seeing the blue abyss at the end of these fingers let's you know how small we really are. Many Corals, grouper and even 4 bottle nose were seen this day. I was happily greeted by my love of the reef of the small things. Yellow Jaw fish in the sand, Green and brown star polyps covering the live rock like a miniature wheat field in the breeze. Parrot fish, spotted drum, cow, and much much more to see.
Day 3 8:15 am:
4 dives today, 2 before lunch, 1 after lunch and one night dive. Cypress dives with a 50' swim through made up the morning diving. This was the first day I had ever swam with a shark close by. Nothing major to most but anything that has "shark" in it's name to me was new. Hol Chan was the night dive and cuddle fish, or reef squid, are friendly type creatures that will play peek-a-boo if they see your eyes.
anxious.gif
Spotted blue Eels, Yellow Moray, and sleeping rays are all around.
Day 4 8:15 am:
2 Dive day, Boca Del Rio and Mermaid Alley. More time underwater in this gorgeous reef. Great Coral with little bleaching that I could see. Grouper all around and Barrell Corals regrowing after "Dean." Mermaid Alley was the first time I ever touched a shark. It was a nurse shark that could only give you a hickey but a shark none the less and for this "land-locked" redneck it was a shark. This was NOTHING like I expected. I expected to feel a cold slick snake-like skin. Guess what, they feel like Dry 300 grit sand paper and gentle as puppies.
Day 5 7:15 am:
No diving today but a great day none the less, Suya Tours took us on an all day tour of Laminai Mayan Ruins. 1 hour boat ride to mainland then a 45 min bus ride to New River then a new tour guide took over. Our tour guide was 50% Mayan and grew up on this river. The knowledge that these guys have about their home is wonderous. I don't think I have had a better tour guide.
Day 6 7:15 am:
No diving today. It was time for some Jungle Zip lining and Cave tubing. Again with Suya Tours and when we arrived in the jungle the local guides took over. Again we were in awe of the knowledge of the guides we had. If you are afraid of the dark keep your lamps on in the caves
anxious.gif
Day 7 8:15 am
More diving WOOHOO!! Cypress Gardens, Dos Cocos and Hol Chan day dive with Shark Ray Alley Snorkle after. More great reef diving and Hol Chan is a completely different monster in the daylight. Huge schools of fish, Tarpon, grouper (yummy) and much much more.
Day 8 8:15 am
Last day of diving,
apathetic.gif
but Ecological Divers made sure it was a day to remember. Imagine having 30+ nurse sharks poking around and comming to you for some love. 6' moray peeking it's head out to say hello. Followed by more coral laden finger canyons.
Day 9 8:15
Day off to prepare for flight home. Biked into San pedro and enjoyed a day of the city. Of everyone out there we only met one rude but we figure he was just having a bad day. But the day ended well, just on the beach under the dock a beaded sea cucumber about a foot long.
Day 10 9:00 am:
pick up for the Airport.
sympathetic.gif

Accomidations:
Sleep
Sunset Condos: Privately owned condo only 15 min bike ride to town. No bike rental fees, bikes are provided.
Diving:
Ecological divers: They pick you up at the condo's dock and if you are planning on diving multipul days they will even keep your gear for the next day, if you are so inclined to allow it. They are more than happy to allow you to take care of your own gear.
Tours:
Suya tours: they are located at Sunset Condos and let me tell you, it is ALL inclusive. Breakfast, Lunch and soda, water, booze and Jungle Juice at the end of the day.
Dining:
My list of "Bests"
Chiveche: Lilly's treasure chest on the beach downtown San Pedro
Club Sandwich: see above :)
Steak: Rico's surfside
Mayan Buffet: Elvi's Kitchen
Drinks: Fido's[/FONT]

I had the opportunity to be on a couple of the same dive trips --I'd go diving with you anytime! This is a great trip report. Belize is a blast. Lots of fun.

Back
Top Bottom