Time for new BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I recently made the switch from a jacket type BC to a BP/w set up. I have a Transpac as well as an aluminum backplate. If you have not dove a BP/w, you should at least try one before you invest in another jacket type. There is a reason that so many people love them. I found that my buoyancy was much more precise but, I do miss my right shoulder dump. The Transpac is a soft plate so it is very packable. The biggest difference is that it is so comfortable while diving. On the surface, I just float on my back like an inner tube. Some people feel that the wings are awkward on the surface, but I can float verticle as well with no issues. It's just a matter of getting your weights distributed correctly. I added a utility pocket to the waist strap and attach my smb/reel and lights on D rings.

The BPW setups are not for everyone, but I have been very happy since making the switch.

My wife dives a Aqualung Pearl and loves it, but it packs like any other BC.

Good luck with your search.

Jay

call up Tobin at Deep Sea Supply. Talk with him and he will help you. His BP/W's will pack smaller, dry faster, and be more stable than any jacket bc that I have seen

But their proprietary elements obviate the simplicity, accessibility and economy of a generic BP/W.

But their proprietary elements obviate the simplicity, accessibility and economy of a generic BP/W.

like what? arguable they are more simple and accessible than a generic bp/w because you can take the wing off without having to undo the cam bands, and they are priced better than most everything else on the market. They can use any other brands wings as well, either with an STA, or with most STA-less wings because the slots are going to be similarly spaced.
The only proprietary element is that their wings can't easily be used on other brands backplates, but their backplates are still universal.

I have been diving SP bc's for years and love them. Their quality is excellent.
I had been diving a Seahawk but decided to look for a more travel friendly be and recently purchased their Litehawk after a good buddy showed me his. Took it to Palau recently and loved it. I doubt I'll ever dive my Seahawk again.

While in Palau another friend saw mine and now he has one. Take a look at them.

My old scuba pro BC needs to be replaced. I used a Lady Cressi ultra light in HI I really liked.
I am looking for compact BC, packing space and size is important. Want stablity, equal bouancy, easy access to all vents etc. any suggestions?

If you have time you might want to consider waiting to find one 2nd hand, for example via ebay. There is a very lively trade in used dive gear and some of it has hardly been used.

The last 2 times I bought a BCD (one for myself and one for my daughter) it took some time to find exactly what I was looking for but I bought them both for about 20% of what it would have cost me to buy the exact same thing new.

Just a thought.

R..

I would recommend either a Scubapro GO or a litehawk. I have been diving in both. If you want a jacket style, the GO is excellent. If you want a back floatation, then the litehawk is the ticket.

Both are lightweight, compact and perfect for travel. Also, they offer the 4 options for dumping air as most the Scubapro B.C.'s do.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom