Time to hydro tanks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wilderness Medic

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
What's the average time to hydro tanks? Been I believe about 3 weeks now. I think he said a week or two. I'm not as concerned with the time as I am the fact he won't return a call, message, or text. Seems pretty unprofessional especially considering he he already apparently texted another county dive team member sort of talking down on me after asking some questions about doing me DM with him...

If it is done off-site, one week turn around time is expected for the actual off-site hydro (unless they are waiting for more tanks to be sent in one shipment and that can take more time depending on how busy it is there). There are other parts of the hydro done at the dive center such as VCI, valve service, preparing the tank for hydro and putting the tank back together after all work is done, etc., this can take 1 - 2 weeks depending also on how busy they are in addition to any other issues. I'd say 1 - 2 weeks overall is expected, 3 week is possible. Communications with the client is expected within 24 business hours.

all depends. Most hydro shops make most of their money on fire extinguishers and they will typically do scuba tanks in cycles, so 2-3 weeks isn't uncommon, especially if your LDS is toting them back and forth. I take mine directly to the hydro shop and usually get them turned around in 2-3 days, sometimes while I'm waiting if we scheduled it far enough in advance.

The LDS I was using is quite rural and when I went to get my two tanks hydroed he told me his procedure which was to get a big enough batch of tanks together to drive them to the hydro facility. He also gave me a business card of the facility if I wanted them faster. Even though I've moved a number of times since then, I've been taking tanks in myself for hydro for over 25 years.

I have explained that it's nothing personal to a new LDS, but I've had my affiliation with the hydro facility for a long time. None of them have ever wanted to negotiate a better price for my business.

My average turnaround is a couple of days.

Bob

Around here most hydro'd are done in the off season and can take anywhere from a day to a week if you wait for your hydro to be done at the beginning of the season then your waiting 3 to seven days thats from date of drop off to date of final assembly and fill

Is it common to be able to drop then off directly your self? If I knew that I would have much rather done it myself than wait on when it's convent for someone who's apparently extremely busy.

I hope he at least makes contact with me by the end of the week. Weathers still bad so I can't hit the ocean but I don't like being ignored and not updating me that it's taking longer than expected.

Sounds like you need to go into the store and talk face to face with them ... especially since they are talking you down to others.

Trust me I would have already but it's always closed. Opens by appointment.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom