Tinnitus ramps up, no reason

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There are ear plugs that can be used while diving (Docs, Hydro Ear??). They will reduce the bubble noise.

I'd been researching the marketed-for-SCUBA earplugs because I've had occasional trouble clearing an ear. DAN's Alert Diver magazine, Q2 2023, has an article recommending strongly against them--bold-face "DAN does not endorse the use of any earplugs for diving."

As to tinnitus and diving, my understanding is that unless there is barotrauma, there is no likely connection. But the hydration advice is sound, from my reading (and ringing). For me, sleep seems to be the most important mitigator.

Regardless, there are ear plugs that can be used for diving and watersports and I have used them. And I have found a hood more effective at reducing bubble noise (which can exceed 90db) while diving which DOES affect my tinnitus. Oddy, a swim cap can amplify the noise of bursting bubbles as might a thin neoprene beanie cap so the hood I use is thicker neoprene. Noise cannot be eliminated because of bone conduction but bone conduction is about 50% less than tympanic response.

But this is not the issue with Chilly, he will need to visit with his doctor and see if there is not some other acute cause for the worsening which I hope is tempoary. Sometimes exposure to noise, even a few days preceding, suddenly kicks in well after the occurrence. And dissipates with time. But he will need to see a doctor.

Regardless, there are ear plugs that can be used for diving and watersports and I have used them. And I have found a hood more effective at reducing bubble noise (which can exceed 90db) while diving which DOES affect my tinnitus. Oddy, a swim cap can amplify the noise of bursting bubbles as might a thin neoprene beanie cap so the hood I use is thicker neoprene. Noise cannot be eliminated because of bone conduction but bone conduction is about 50% less than tympanic response.

But this is not the issue with Chilly, he will need to visit with his doctor and see if there is not some other acute cause for the worsening which I hope is tempoary. Sometimes exposure to noise, even a few days preceding, suddenly kicks in well after the occurrence. And dissipates with time. But he will need to see a doctor.
Yes, I definitely do get an upsurge from noise. Ergo, I try to avoid such. And as you say, it usually dissipates after a bit.

I see some sad humour in the fact that all this noise means that I'll ultimately become deaf. Apparently, I already have the loss of some upper ranges. Couldn't prove it by me. 😉

I'm an overhearing person.

My tinnitus flares up when I read or hear the word tinnitus. Seriously, to a large degree it recedes to the back of my mind and ramps up when my conscious mind is reminded of it.

Other triggers are loud percussive sounds. Clapping in a large crowd is painful in my left ear (which is the most affected) to the point that I need to wear an earplug when I go to any concert or performance where there will be a lot of clapping. Loud noises or even clapping on TV are no problem. Only percussion of live, nearby clapping evokes this reaction.

Nothing out of the ordinary happened today, other than suddenly, my long standing tinnitus ramped up about 50 knotches.

I was driving peaceably at the time and it was immediately noticeable. There's been no fading back as the hours have worn on.

I've had tinnitus for ages and made peace with it long ago but this is almost beyond me being able to bear.

Has this ever happened to any of you other sufferers?
My tinnitus resulted from many years in noisy envirnments ( industrial millwright and jet mechanic) My hearing aids have a tinnitis program that I use sometimes . I've found that the busier I am the less apparent the faux noise is.There are medications over-the-counter for tinnitus that you might try. Would you want to have a hearing professional look at your condition?

My tinnitus resulted from many years in noisy envirnments ( industrial millwright and jet mechanic) My hearing aids have a tinnitis program that I use sometimes . I've found that the busier I am the less apparent the faux noise is.There are medications over-the-counter for tinnitus that you might try. Would you want to have a hearing professional look at your condition?

I have had. If the loudness doesn't recede back down to the usual dull roar, then I'll make another appointment.

I got hearing aids about a month ago for high-frequency hearing loss and within 24 hours of putting them in the tinnitus was almost gone. Mine also have a masking sound that I'm still learning to use but in general the lower volumes seem to work better.

Dive a rebreather? Definitely quieter.

A thicker hood keeps the noise down too.

But this is not the issue with Chilly, SHE will need to visit with HER doctor and see if there is not some other acute cause for the worsening which I hope is tempoary. Sometimes exposure to noise, even a few days preceding, suddenly kicks in well after the occurrence. And dissipates with time. But SHE will need to see a doctor.

FTFY.

Yes, I

Yes,I knew that but in the sterility of the www of defaulted. I also misread drive for dive. Regardless, of the correct pronouns the, ringing I hope has gotten back to normal.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom