Question Tips for Optimal Audio with a FFM

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
First things first, apologies if this is the wrong forum for this. As you can see, I am not just a new user, I'm not even a diver. However, my position at a public aquarium has me bearing the responsibility of bridging communication between our divers and our visitors. My purpose for making an account here and searching through these forums is to try to improve the quality of these interactions as best I can.

Our divers are using OTS Guardian or Stealth FFMs, as is their preference, and their signal is being routed through an OTS Mk. III Intercom to an audio system on the public side of our facility. We're using a corded connection between the diver and the intercom specifically because the habitat's filters cause significant interference when we try to go wireless. The main thing I'm hoping to get from posting here is advice, any tips or tricks some of you might have learned through experimenting with or just using this equipment.

Unfortunately, our divers' voices are coming through fairly muted, and far quieter than the air from their regulator. Have you perhaps found speaking a certain way or in a certain direction gets better quality audio out of the microphone in the mask (an OTS ME 150, for reference)? Or have you found ways to minimize the noise volume of the air coming through the regulator? Any suggestion could be helpful, no matter how minimal or basic. Like I said, I'm no diver, so I don't know what sort of restrictions or limitations you all have to work around to get the most out of this equipment, and that's why I'm here asking far more experienced individuals.

I'm aware there's a ceiling on how good a diver is ever going to sound, for many reasons, and that editing in post is your best bet for cleaning things up, but our shows are live and interactive, so I'm trying to get that audio as good as possible in the moment. If there's any more information I can provide to help paint a clearer picture of our situation, just say the word and I'll do my best to answer any questions you may have. In the meantime, I greatly appreciate any insight or advice any of you can share. Thank you, and happy diving!

... but our shows are live and interactive, so I'm trying to get that audio as good as possible in the moment.
In Orlando, we have several underwater interactive shows for guests to hear. I've been backstage at 3 of them and can just tell you that they treat it like a concert with a voice mixer board and and they fully adjust the tones, volumes, reverb, etc, etc. One of them has swapped out the OTS microphone with a Shure mic, but I'm not an audio engineer and couldn't even guess model numbers, etc. I understand it costs money to upgrade audio, but if your audience can't clearly understand the presenter, they will walk out of the show and leave a bad review (which costs more than the mixer upgrades)

I kinda figured that would be the case, and I've been looking at solutions on the technology end of things as well. I just didn't want to ignore any insights the diving community might have to share, just in case. You never know if you don't ask.

All the same, I do appreciate the insight! Thank you for your response and your information. It's been quite helpful!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom