Tips on cleaning lenses and ports

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

well, here is one unconventional tip that is rather inexpensive, available almost everywhere, and works great for me for years:

cigaret paper!

yes, you read right. I use cigaret paper, the one that is sold to roll your own cigarettes with loose tobacco.

Why? I always had the problem that any sort of re-usable lens cleaning cloth ultimately collects dirt and creates more problems than it solves. Also, I never was really happy with any kind of cleaning substance, as it often leaves streakes that tempt you to clean more and again and again.

Finally, most commercial solutions are rather expensive.

The cigaret paper is always fresh (tightly stored in a small cardboard dispenser),, readily available, and very inexpensive.

How?
I carefully tear off the rubberized edge that is used to "glue" the rolled cigaret together. I then fold the paper once, and use it to slightly sweep over the to be cleaned surface in concentric circles.
For camera lenses, I exhale over the lens so it fogs.
for UW lenses-port, I clean it right after rinsing, so no water stains can form.

I use it for years also on rather expensive SLR lenses.
Don't ask me why, but for some reason that sort of paper has the 'magical' property to remove stains and dust with only the slightest amount (or no) moisture needed, without leaving scratches or residue.

Disclaimer:
this is just the experience shared by a silly diver/photograper. If you manage to burn, scratch, or otherwise damage your expensive glass by using cigaret paper, especially after it has been used smoking a cigaret, you are completely on your own. :) :)

I use lens paper and lens cleaning solution for coated glass optics. For Plexi domes and hard coated domes like some Inon acrylic optics I use micro fiber cloths and distilled water only.

N

I never let dry out my gear underway and rinse it ONLY at home/room.After rinsing i dry it with a fluffy, freshly washed terry towel. It is vital to dry immediatly after rinsing the port lenses to avoid water spots. Very well work also microfiber towels, but i prefer to use the clean terry towels because i am sure that they ave no "scratchy" things hiden inside.
Waterspots can be easily removed with white, diluted vinegar, but keep it away from o-rings.

Chris

Back
Top Bottom