Tips to Dive Masters, Part 2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiveBandit

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
I have a question about tipping DM's but didn't want to hijack the original thread.

As a DM student, I'm wondering what constitutes "good Service" and "Great service" on a boat and/or shore dive?

Thanks.
Dave

Thats an interesting thought. I understand the idea behind tipping in the U.S but here in Australia and Asia we don't tip DM's or Instructors. It's never been an issue and I guess in a way that makes service easier to deal with.

We all know that you don't become an instructor for the big bucks, you do it for the love of the sport, and because you want to introduce people to the right way of diving. It all comes under the same guise. DM's generally don't get paid here either, but there are other perks (free courses, free gear, free trips) that more than make up for it.

DM's do an amazing job and because instructors were DM's at one stage we know what they go through, the work and effort that they put in and whats behind their motivation.

If you get tipped, good on you, but we don't expect it and give the same service with that in mind.

Coogeeman

N@rco$i$:
As a DM student, I'm wondering what constitutes "good Service" and "Great service" on a boat and/or shore dive?
I think it depends on the diver, so a first thing would be "How well does the DM address the needs of the divers on board?" I'm not accustomed to having DMs act as guides for me, and in hundreds of dives I've only used them as tour guides on about 10 dives.

When I was new, I wanted a DM to make me feel comfortable, help me with my gear, have a few extra weights in case my estimate was off, make sure my tank valve was open, etc.

Now, I want someone to set a wreck hook, hand fragile gear to me once I'm in the water, take my fins when I get up the ladder, and maybe help me get to a bench if conditions are choppy.

There are a few things that I like at any level though. The first being a good briefing. After that, offering me a snack is a plus. Finally, good company is always welcome. The best service, if provided by someone unpleasant, will not be service I remember as good.

N@rco$i$:
I have a question about tipping DM's but didn't want to hijack the original thread.

Thanks.
Dave

On the boats I dive, the DMs, who do not accompany the divers, mostly work for tips. "TIP = To Insure Performance".

If I have a special request, or require help with something, the DM is there. On my most recent two dive trips, the DM went "above and beyond" on each trip. (1) My buddy had trouble suiting up and the DM resuited up, took me down to the wreck, made sure I was fine, and then went back to help the other guy. This way, I didn't overheat. (2) Last January, the water off Boca Raton was 68F. My daughter only had a shortie wetsuit. The DM loaned her a full suit from the boat, and wouldn't let me pay for it. This is service.

We won't even talk about the time my then 12 year-old daughter barfed on the DM.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom