Titanic tourist sub goes missing sparking search

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't understand why this is causing such a rabid fascination and obsession.

That is the thing with game controllers, they are pretty durable.

I'm not sure I would've used a Bluetooth model, but I would have no issues with a USB Xbox controller, particularly if we carried a spare.
But usb would have meant some type of connection through the hull. Bluetooth can operate through the hull, right?

My kids have never had issues with bt connection via PS3 controller either to PC or other. But those are a little steep, coming in at $60🙄

I don't understand why this is causing such a rabid fascination and obsession.
When was the last time you heard of a bunch of billionaires trapped in a lost sub operated by a game-boy controller, possibly spending their last few moments gazing at the bow of the Titanic, with air supply rapidly dwindling?

Box office suspense sci-fi thrillers don't hold a candle to this one.

i cringe to say it but with all that mapping they've done around the Titanic and to now find a debris field they never noticed before would seem to indicate tragedy.

I have a very warped sense of humor, so when I heard they found debris around Titanic, my first through was debris around the wreck is nothing new. But I’d guess you’re right about so much mapping of the debris field would help new debris stand out.

From BBC

Attachments

• IMG_5668.png
    IMG_5668.png
    125.4 KB · Views: 120
From the link above:

Only one thing concerned me: He said he had gotten the carbon fiber used to make the Titan at a big discount from Boeing because it was past its shelf-life for use in airplanes.

Guess controller was from eBay and best not to ask where did he source other parts...Well another win for corporate culture, clearly.

I asked him if that weren't a problem. He replied that those dates were set far before they had to be, and that Boeing and even NASA had participated in the design and testing of the Titan.

Sure, sure, and it was built in Area 51 using secret alien technology too. Smoke, mirrors and cutting corners left and right. And right when finally some 1%-ers showed up, ready to be convinced to invest and inflate the balloon even more, poof aaaand "Houston, we have a problem". Och wait, we actually do not even have comms as we have also skimped on that.

Why wouldn’t you build one of these, tether it by cable and just run it through 200+ unmanned remote operated cycles from depths to surface and such to test it.

As far as tech goes, a ROV with 360 degree active Hd cameras and either a high res VR headset or a dome paneled in curved high pitch RGB LED video wall panels would be kinda cool. No bragging rights for the adventure trip I suppose.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom